• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading file copies & tanned interiors

6 posts in this topic

I just picked up a nice run of Popeye file copies from Metropolis Comics -- #4,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,16,17,18, 20 -- I'm in Popeye Heaven right now! :smile:

I have some questions regarding their grading.

They all have the printer's stamp on the front cover along with a stamp and a hand-written note on the interior splash page. How will these markings affect the book's grade? Does CGC knock down for that?

Most of them have some browning along the top edges of the interior covers (not the outer cover, and not the pages). Some books it's barely there, some it's quite extreme. I've been reading the other thread about tanning, but I was curious how these particular books would fare at CGC.

Here are some photos of a couple issues.. #4 and #17. For what it's worth, Metropoils didn't mark down for the either the stamps or the tanning. Popeye #4 was graded 9.4 and #17 was graded 8.5.

Thanks for the help.

Popeye%204%20front.jpg

Popeye%204%20back.jpg

Popeye%204%20writing.jpg

Popeye%2017%20cover.jpg

Popeye%2017%20tanning%201.jpg

Popeye%2017%20tanning%202.jpg

Wow, really nice books!

I am wondering if Metro didn't downgrade already for the stamps and interior tanning because the #4 is stunning.

CGC might knock the 9.4 down to a 9.0, because of the tanning, but interior cover tanning is a different beast so I honestly don't know.

Guess I was not much help except to oggle at your Popeye books!

Great looking books.

I have no idea what CGC WILL do, but they SHOULDN'T downgrade for those historical notes.

Those are some sweet pieces of provenance.

Agreed - my guess is that these are proofs or file copies.

Seek, and ye shall find. :grin: