• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will fall of Canadian dollar affect your buying?

81 posts in this topic

Now that our dollar is down to about 86 cents US, will this adversely affect the canadian consumer's buying power in the US? I know I'm gonna think twice about making those big money purchases... Guess it was fun while it lasted.

I made a trip to Toronto back in 1987 and the exchange rate was something like $1.30 Canadian for every US dollar. So I naturally bought a few things (including a Montreal Canadiens jersey) while I was there. :grin:

Did the Canadian dollar actually equal the US dollar recently?

Shark

Canada has a dollar????

I thought Greggy paid for everything in magic beans :o

:censored: u

Again?? :blush:

Find any sweet 100 pagers for me or are you still selling common junk?

Canada has a dollar????

I thought Greggy paid for everything in magic beans :o

:censored: u

Again?? :blush:

Find any sweet 100 pagers for me or are you still selling common junk?

I had some, but I thought all you had was magic beans. :kidaround:

........and by the way, most of my friends are "common junk" :hi:

On a real note: send me a wish list that I can keep by my desk.

Shark

Our dollar was actually 10% higher than the USD this past summer (for a little while anyway)

It wasn't this past summer but late last fall that it was at $1.10. Since then it has been hovering at par, until about 10 days ago when it slipped from near parity to where it is today. With our currency based on commodities such as gold and oil, with those markets falling, so to has our dollar. If anyone who was buying collectibles 5 years ago when our dollar was worth 60 cents of a US dollar can attest, if you were buying then, you'll still be buying now. It was fun when it was at par, believe me, but if I still need or want something, I'm still buying.

Jim

Shark

Our dollar was actually 10% higher than the USD this past summer (for a little while anyway)

but if I still need or want something, I'm still buying.

Jim

(thumbs u

Things cost what they cost.

Shark

but if I still need or want something, I'm still buying.

Jim

(thumbs u

Things cost what they cost.

Exactly what the boyz said. I was buying at $0.25-$0.30 on the dollar so this is still cheap.

(thumbs u

In truth the exchange has been killing me because I bought most of my big books when the US dollar was strong so any sales where a loss. I prefer it like this. Probably better for our country over all as well as we have lots to export and it makes our products more appealing.

In truth the exchange has been killing me because I bought most of my big books when the US dollar was strong

When I was actively collecting, I was paying an average of $1.60 CAN for every US dollar. This also made customs fees a nightmare, so most of those books I've retained, simply because I'll never get my money back. Because of my brilliant sense of timing, I pulled out of the hobby just as the CAN dollar was starting to gain some serious ground, and I did virtually no buying(or selling, obviously) when we were at par.

I suspect that if/when I resume "serious" buying, I'll pay whatever it costs. That's just the way it goes. But these fluctuations, the rising cost of shipping, and having to beg "US Only" D-Bags to ship to me are just some of the things I don't miss about this hobby.

Time for the Canucks to sell now, collect the money in US dollars and prop up their economy. (I can send a want list if you aren't sure what to sell first.)

pm me you want list. I'll make sure it's worth you while.

:blush: