• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBS MarketWatch: Collectibles Are "The Stupid Investment Of The Week"

302 posts in this topic

On the value of education:

In the law biz, which I'm in, your school and class standing are only really relevant to getting your first job or two. After that, it's all about what you can do and how much $$$ you can bring in.

That said, student loan debt is considered one of the best debts out there to have.

Yeah, that's a very good point. The name of the school definitely will open some of those first doors for you, but then later, when you have some solid experience behind you, it doesn't seem like prospective employers pay as close attention to the school you list on your resume...

However, based off of the personal experience of several friends who graduated from Stuyvesant and Bronx Science (the #1 and #2 respectively public HS in the NYC teaching area) ..

Poor Brooklyn Tech never broke into the top 2? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Darth, believe me, none can compare to Regis. That school is one of, if not the, best school in the city and can easily hold its own to a Dalton or Trinity. Some of the smartest and most intellectually capable people that I have ever known come from Regis (although don't make the mistake of thinking that I am talking about you! tongue.gif )

DAM

However, based off of the personal experience of several friends who graduated from Stuyvesant and Bronx Science (the #1 and #2 respectively public HS in the NYC teaching area) ..

Darth, believe me, none can compare to Regis. That school is one of, if not the, best school in the city and can easily hold its own to a Dalton or Trinity. Some of the smartest and most intellectually capable people that I have ever known come from Regis (although don't make the mistake of thinking that I am talking about you! tongue.gif )

DAM

I can vouch for that as well. Regis has always had an excellent reputation. I remember my friend and I were both accepted there, and I went public instead of the parochial route. Is it still an all-boys school, like it was back in the day?

I can vouch for that as well. Regis has always had an excellent reputation. I remember my friend and I were both accepted there, and I went public instead of the parochial route. Is it still an all-boys school, like it was back in the day?

Yup, still all boys. My dad went to Archbishop Malloy back in the day and they now went co-ed but Regis is standing firm. thumbsup2.gif

DAM

DAM

It is still an all-boys school and all-scholarship (tuition-free for four years), and I believe it ALWAYS will be. It has withstood several lawsuits by parents trying to get their daughters in there. All they do is fall back to the wording in the initial charter when the school was founded and there is a legal clause in THE endowment from the family that funding will only be given on the stipulation that it remain an all-boys school. The minute they matriculate females, it will no longer be known as Regis. They can call it an extension of St. Ignatius Loyola like the Jesuit co-ed school right across the street.

Give me stars for that one, will ya dam60!! acclaim.gif

Got you covered - but don't sweat the stars. They aren't really an indication of anything. You going to the national this next weekend? We're having a dinner - will be a lot of fun thumbsup2.gif

DAM

Yup, still all boys. My dad went to Archbishop Malloy back in the day and they now went co-ed but Regis is standing firm. thumbsup2.gif

DAM

Malloy went co-ed! 893whatthe.gif The biggest draw to attend Malloy for me was possibly playing ball with Kenny Anderson at the time 27_laughing.gif

I had my pick of HS and free rides to go to back then. One thought was Hunter HS which offered a 7 year HS/college program.... but then there was Regis cloud9.gif Or use my full rides to Xavier, Fordham, Malloy, McClancy, St. John's Prep - it was either a Queens HS or a Manhattan HS, didn't know much about Brooklyn schools then - even made Bronx Sci, and I think if you qualified for that you could go to Stuyvesant or Brooklyn Tech as well.

Give me stars for that one, will ya dam60!! acclaim.gif

Got you covered - but don't sweat the stars. They aren't really an indication of anything. You going to the national this next weekend? We're having a dinner - will be a lot of fun thumbsup2.gif

DAM

Hey, I know. I just need some love, like everyone. I won't be down in NYC next weekend unfortunately, because my wife is working (she's in retail-obviously a very busy weekend), and I'll be babysitting my 2 little ones. We'll be down there the week after, one week late for the con unfortunately. I'll be hearing all about it from you guys though, I'm sure. I'll catch up with all you crazies at some point...

seank:

I agree with that except where you work your first job or two is so important as to what kind of job you can get next... but where you go to law school is ultimately extremely important even to some degree later on. Not that you can't be successful no matter where you go to school (because you can, many famous attorneys didn't go to big name schools), but many of the large firms won't even consider your resume without a top ten percent ranking or top 20 percent from a top tier school. When you try and move jobs, try getting into one of those huge firms coming from somewhere smaller without any connections... pretty tough.

Of course, it's hard to cry poor lawyer when you can probably move at any time and make in the average of $80k and be considered just an averaged salaried young lawyer... but still, many law students think it's like the firm and you should be making $130k a year. If that's your goal, better pony up for the best law school you can into and then hope you perform very well.

Hey, Darth, what about Townsend Harris? I wound up going there right after they opened. When I got in, they had 40 openings for 3000 applicants, and you had to write essays and have an interview to get in there. Did that open up after you went to HS?

My guidance counselor never pushed it...possibly because she didn't KNOW about it...sounds very competitive process (more than just the PSATs scores and class average) - I went to HS from 88-92...so you'd know if it opened up close to that timeframe