• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey !!! A page of BWS original from Conan #1

14 posts in this topic

Yea, I'd much rather have a page from "RED NAILS".....or issue #24......or for that matter...anything from about issue 12 up.......than a page from #1

Yea, I'd much rather have a page from "RED NAILS".....or issue #24......or for that matter...anything from about issue 12 up.......than a page from #1

This is such a nice page though. Every panel is a winner

Definitely. His artwork at the beginning of the run is still being refined, just like a lot of the pre-1969/1970 Neal Adams artwork. Barry did not hit his stride until the teens on Conan.

for the most part I agree but not so much when it comes to this page. This is as good, or almost as good, as his later work IMO

IMHO, his early Conan work is like his stint on the X-Men - the characters are still blocky and less detailed than his peak on the later Conan issues. Towards the end of the run he had finally refined the BWS look we all appreciate, but the early issues still had more of a Romita or Kirby blockiness to them.

Neal Adams was the same. His first cover on Detective Comics (#370 or #371) looks like a kid in junior high drew it. lol