• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being played? Another Ebay thread..

85 posts in this topic

His last and final email was offering me $30. I am going to reject it. He is convinced that PayPal and ebay will back him up. I hope Paypal realizes that I am the victim here.. Thanks guys for all of the advice.

IMO, I would get return the book because I would always have a bit of sour taste when reading it.

Anyway, unless he disclosed that pages were missing in his auction, paypal should be on your side. Of course you will be stuck on the shipping cost to return it though. I had bought some prestige format books and they were listed as "like new" condition. When I got them most of they appeared to have some type of water damage. The pages were all wavy and on one book layed flat. The seller refused to refund all my money including the shipping cost so I filed a claim with Paypal. They sided with me but I had to pay for the return shipping. It took about a month for them make a decision. Keep all your emails and once you file the claim do not have any direct contact with the seller.

Good luck. I looked around and did not find that issue anywhere. Have you ever tried posting on some classified websites?

No. Its a pretty tough book to find, but Id rather wait it out and find a complete copy. I was happy I found it in the first place, but knowing that it is missing almost half of its story, its almost like its lost its charm. Should I escalate the dispute to a claim or wait for it?

Paypal is slow. They may tell you at first that they reject your claim or cannot find the funds. What you do then is send an e-mail telling them that if they don't honor your claim, you'll call your CC and revoke the charge. Then PayPal gets back to you. :)

This guys response to the claim..

ok, i tried. I already spoke to paypal and they advise they will discuss with ebay, and from what ebay said, they will back me up, since they have had problems with you in the past & no problems with me in the last 9.5 years. I blocked you from any future bidding. Have a great day.

You guys think there is a chance PayPal sides with him? The "problem" Ebay had with me is I retracted a couple bids in too short of a time, not like I totally ripped someone off, and still have 100% feedback

Hard to say who will win. You SHOULD win a partial discount, but some people here have documented problems with comics being in less than optimal condition (when they did still, at the end of the day arrive). Just let paypal run its course, present your side, and if they refuse to give you a discount, tell them you were wronged and that you will deal with your CC issuer if necessary.

He went from nothing to $20 after one e-mail. I think you could get more out of him.

How far to push this, however, really depends on how much money you spent.

Why does it matter the amount of money I have? Does it cost money to file claim?

Well it depends. You asked for a little off the top to cover the missing pages and poor grading. If you spent $100 than $20 is a little off the top. If you spent $2000 then you might want to push for more compensation.

Gotcha. Mis-read it first time. It was $150, so wanted more than $20. Even though cover is in good shape, I am not going to spend over $100 on a book that is not close to complete, and have the seller not include that or other info in auction

Alrighty (thumbs u See my post in your PGM thread

But its not like the book was described as 3.0 and came back 2.0/2.5, it was sold to me as 3.0 and is more like a 1.0 tops. I explained it in the claim as lamen as I could. I hope PP realizes I was wronged. I stated 2 or 3 times that 42 pages were missing, and never stated that in the auction

Call Paypal and explain the transaction issue, they will tell you the best course of action and how the process works. The fact he says that ebay sides with the seller is irrelevant.

ok, i tried. I already spoke to paypal and they advise they will discuss with ebay, and from what ebay said, they will back me up, since they have had problems with you in the past & no problems with me in the last 9.5 years. I blocked you from any future bidding. Have a great day.

You guys think there is a chance PayPal sides with him? The "problem" Ebay had with me is I retracted a couple bids in too short of a time, not like I totally ripped someone off, and still have 100% feedback

Just don't reply back to him. Let Paypal do their thing. You did state in your claim that the book is missing x amount of pages that was not disclosed in the auction. Also, let them know that you tried to work out arrangements with the seller. Finally, tell them that you are still keeping one of the books because it stands up to the auction listing. As long as you state all the facts they should not side with the seller. However, if you did you your credit card, I would call them to see how long before you can file a claim.

I didnt use a CC. It was money used from other transactions on the boards that was PayPal'ed to me. I called up PayPal. I told the guy the facts the way I see it, and he read the complaint, and he said that they "should" definitely side with me. I told him the book was missing 40 pages, and he was like oo yea, there should be no problem getting you a refund. He said everything the seller is saying to me about ebay is BS and that it should turn out in my favor.

The PP guy told me they might want proof that the book came with 26 pages.. How would one go about proving that..?

I've dealt with this issue twice in the past year. It took quite a bit of time, effort, and eating of some shipping charges, but I ultimately got my money back.

*Save every email

*go back to the original auction and do print-to-pdf or screen captures so that you can show the missing pages were not disclosed. The original auction will be truncated since it ended but the description should be there. DO THIS NOW because these pages go away eventually.

*craft a really reasonable explanation of your previous Ebay incidents, but do not mention them unless asked

*Persevere. These people need to learn they won't get away with this bs.

Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts. All of our convo was through Ebay so it was easy saving those. I am about to print the Ebay page out. I also stated that I was happy with his other product, but could not accept this one.

Most of our messaging through ebay was prior to purchasing though. He was a great seller until today.. Emails wont prove anything besides when it was bought and when it was sent out. But again, thanks for the advice. Page printed.

Try to save the auction pages digitally, such as pdf format or even screengrabs, so that you can email them when necessary. Printouts are not as useful.

As for his previous emails, double check for any mention of condition.

I don't mean to sound bossy, this issue just pushes my buttons.

Try to save the auction pages digitally, such as pdf format or even screengrabs, so that you can email them when necessary. Printouts are not as useful.

As for his previous emails, double check for any mention of condition.

I don't mean to sound bossy, this issue just pushes my buttons.

I saved it as a PDF on my desktop. I also called PP again to see if I could fax it to them, but the lady said the link to the exact Ebay page is within the claim, and she made a note for me under it saying to look at auction and notice that missing pages was not disclosed at all. The seller is just going to lie his azz off to PP, but one thing he CAN NOT change is he sent me a book with 26 pages in it.

The seller is smoking the big fat crack pipe if he thinks that PayPal is ever going to side with him. You filed a claim for "not as described" and have the documentation to back it up - PP sides with the buyer 99.99% of the time in cases like that.

Don't sweat it, man - you'll get your money back.

Thanks man. Ive been sweating it all day. First real bad experience with comics, and surely not my last. Since so many people gave advice in this thread, I will be sure to let you know how PP rules within the week. Thanks for all the words of encouragement fellas!!

Anyone got a cheap BT #2 for me? lol

You did the right thing. Don't fall in love with half a book.

I think that seller was just trying to influence your decision with all the "I just got off the phone with Paypal,ebay" and telling you what they were going to decide.

I'm guessing you haven't been looking long for the BT #2 and you need to give it more time for a better one to show up. The hunt is half the fun!