• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being played? Another Ebay thread..

85 posts in this topic

I am sorry for another Ebay thread, but I have a question. I bought 2 books from a seller about a week or 2 ago. In his auction, it stated: Return policy details:

The buyer has 7 days to return the item (the buyer pays shipping fees). The item will be refunded.

I get the books today. I send him a message saying that I want to keep both books, but one of them is incomplete, and was graded a 3.0. Incomplete by 30 pages or so. He also tells me cover was attached when he sent it, but no staple anywhere near the cover or pages of this book. I send him a nice letter saying that I would like to work something out for me to keep the books, bc I dont want to return them but a partial refund.

He writes this message to me:

I graded it as it should have and the cover was attached when I sent it. I would offer the full refund, but it has been over 7 days. Ebay knows of my 7-day return/refund policy, so unfortunately, i cannot offer it. I also discounted the books greatly. What I CAN do is send you a VIP Limited Edition book in good faith, since I'll be going to the Texas Wizard Con in the 2nd week of Nov., since I'm a Gold VIP Member. These books are worth anywhere between 30.00-100.00. That I can do in good faith. I'll even cover the shipping, as you seem to be the only one out of 200 buyers that disagrees with my grading, and I know it's subjective. If

The highlighted part, thats got to be 100% BS right?

He than wrote this to me after I tell him that the return policy starts when I receive the books, not when he sends them out...

Even though I have a receit that the books were sent over 10 days ago, the most I would send for a refund is $20.00, as an act of good faith. I have the receipts of all the books and the dates they were sent. If you give me your address and name, the most I would send is 20.00.

I am sorry for another Ebay thread, but I have a question. I bought 2 books from a seller about a week or 2 ago. In his auction, it stated: Return policy details:

The buyer has 7 days to return the item (the buyer pays shipping fees). The item will be refunded.

I get the books today. I send him a message saying that I want to keep both books, but one of them is incomplete, and was graded a 3.0. Incomplete by 30 pages or so. He also tells me cover was attached when he sent it, but no staple anywhere near the cover or pages of this book. I send him a nice letter saying that I would like to work something out for me to keep the books, bc I dont want to return them but a partial refund.

He writes this message to me:

I graded it as it should have and the cover was attached when I sent it. I would offer the full refund, but it has been over 7 days. Ebay knows of my 7-day return/refund policy, so unfortunately, i cannot offer it. I also discounted the books greatly. What I CAN do is send you a VIP Limited Edition book in good faith, since I'll be going to the Texas Wizard Con in the 2nd week of Nov., since I'm a Gold VIP Member. These books are worth anywhere between 30.00-100.00. That I can do in good faith. I'll even cover the shipping, as you seem to be the only one out of 200 buyers that disagrees with my grading, and I know it's subjective. If

The highlighted part, thats got to be 100% BS right?

I would just move on and forget about it , and not lose anymore sleep on it , but that's just me ?

It's not like you got totally ripped off .... (shrug)

Incomplete by 30 pages? That seems hard to miss.

Curious, was this a smallish deal? It might be best to just accept his offer of modern variant drek to make up for the grading issue.

I believe that you can do a paypal chargeback under significantly not as described, regardless of tos of seller.

Incomplete by 30 pages? That seems hard to miss.

Curious, was this a smallish deal? It might be best to just accept his offer of modern variant drek to make up for the grading issue.

I believe that you can do a paypal chargeback under significantly not as described, regardless of tos of seller.

Yes it was a smaller deal, but for me, it was most of the cash I had for comics for the next month or so. I want to accept his $20 offer, but still doesnt feel right.

If it doesn't feel right, tell him the refund you want. If he doesn't agree, file a dispute with Paypal and Ebay. I don't agree with the advice that you got most of what you bargained for so just suck it up. Be willing to undo the deal completely and you'll have more leverage.

Did you pay by Paypal?

Yes, but my problem is I dont want to return the book. I want this book regardless of grade, but I paid for a G/VG book. I asked him if he could take some off the top, and $20 was his limit.

If you decide you want to keep the book then you really have no recourse for a partial refund beyond what he offers or agrees to in your discussion with him.

If you instead decide to request full refund Papyal should help you recover the funds as item was not as described and he does have a return policy on record.

Either way you are not getting taken if you aacept partial refund offer(not required on his part), or you use Papyal to recover the funds. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be reasonable and give a fair partial refund amount, but that's a whole different matter.

yes, ebay doesn't require the seller to adhere to their refund policy if they want to expend the time limits. paypal gives a seller 60 days or something like that to issue a refund. it's B.S. that he 'can't" refund now because ebay "knows" his policy.

are you telling us this book was missing 30 pages??? why does it matter whether the cover was attached when he didn't mention that little tidbit?

Did you pay by Paypal?

Yes, but my problem is I dont want to return the book. I want this book regardless of grade, but I paid for a G/VG book. I asked him if he could take some off the top, and $20 was his limit.

If you decide you want to keep the book then you really have no recourse for a partial refund beyond what he offers or agrees to in your discussion with him.

I hear ya GA. Just sux big time. I understand he is not obligated to offer partial refund at all, but imho is the right thing to do. If he doesnt do the right thing, I will file PayPal dispute. but I would end up without the books.. :cry:

hm

are you telling us this book was missing 30 pages??? why does it matter whether the cover was attached when he didn't mention that little tidbit?

Fact of the matter is neither of these were listed in the auction. Just gave grade and scans..

I mentioned the cover being detached, and he said it was attached when he sent it which is obviously a lie

Did you pay by Paypal?

I hear ya GA. Just sux big time. I understand he is not obligated to offer partial refund at all, but imho is the right thing to do. If he doesnt do the right thing, I will file PayPal dispute. but I would end up without the books.. :cry:

hm

Dude, if people always did the right thing, then, well, we wouldn't have the entertainment of "Look At This Scam" threads here on the boards on a daily basis.

This guy sounds like a knuckle head. He just sent me this through ebay:

Unfortunately I cannot do that. I just hung up with ebay and they justified my policy, as the book was mailed almost 2 weeks ago. My 7 day policy stands. I've gotten a buyer who sent me their worse copy and kept mine, that's why I limit to 7 days. It's not my fault if you didn't check your mail on a daily basis. My offer stands to give you either a 20.00 refund, or a Limited Edition VIP book worth a lot more.

I asked him for 60 bucks instead of 20. Is that BS about Ebay? I can still go through PayPal if I wanted to, correct? And also, there is no way the 7 day period starts when he mails the book out. It could take 4-5 days to even get the package (shrug)

Are these the books you posted asking for grades from boardies?

If you aren't happy with them send them back with a PayPal dispute, leave negative feedback and look for the books from someone you trust. I've been in a similar spot and found it better this way.