• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever buy old comics for your kids?

35 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the terrible teens has taken its toll (Cheyenne is 16 and Chumani just turned 13 yesterday) and junk like music, clothes, ...boys, have taken the place of their interest in comics.

That's the natural progression as kid's age, but the funny thing is, adult women will remember those times but won't get nostalgic and want to buy it all back like men will. It likely has to do with the "age we feel happiest", as men usually relate to the 8-14 range, while women will do the same with old wedding or baby photos/videos.

For now, my two gals absolutely love going to the local cons with me (and grandpa and gramma), rummaging through Archie's and Katy Keene's, buying some Pokemon cards, reading the books at night, etc. and I guarantee those will be some of my best memories.

When I was younger around 7, I used to love to read comics. This is why it surprises me a little about how few women there are who like to collect as adults...I guess it moves on to clothes and shoes:) Also, the romance comics that were centered around teen girls, I would have thought this would bring back a nostalgia.

When my son was about 8 (in the early 90's) ....I sent him, in the mail, a copy of Kamandi #1 with a big letter like it was from the Kamandi Fan Club or something.....then every month for the next year or so.....I sent him consecutive issues. He read em and really enjoyed the story.....and he never knew it was me that sent em. It was really fun.

That's awesome! I'd do that if I had kids. It's like being a secret Santa.

My little guy is too young to read but he loves it when I read him stories. I bought him Four Color 367 "A Christmas for Shacktown" for his first Christmas even though he was less than two months old. He got Donald Duck 26 "Trick or Treat" for his first birthday last October and FC 178 "Christmas on Bear Mountain" (the first appearance of Scrooge for you non-Duck fans) last Christmas. I get pictures of me reading the books to him and then put them away for safekeeping. The little guy will have a nice collection some day.

This year he will get Walt Disney Comics & Stories 98 (first Scrooge in title and a great Halloween cover) for his birthday and a copy of Walt Disney Comics Presents 4 "The Golden Christmas Tree" signed by Carl Barks for Christmas.

I am also putting together reader runs of Scrooge and Donald Duck for us to share when he can read for himself. And I have been getting him a new series, "Owly" which he loves. So does my teen daughter by the way so if you guys with kids haven't checked it out yet, you should.

My daughter's 5 I bought about 50 duck books from Richard (Bedrock).

She has enjoyed reading through them for the last 3 months.

She also owns a Tec #27.

As does my 14 month old son.

She also owns a Tec #27.

You mean my girls finally sold those last two Tec #27s they had? I hope they disclosed the crayon color touch on one and the Playskool iron pressing and glue-stick tear seals on the other to your young'ns before finalizing the deal! ;)

I am slowly working my kids into reading comics. I bought my son a bunch of different stuff but after a trip to the LCS with him and his sister they both found the books they wanted.

My six year old son is reading DC super friends and Billy Batson Shazam.

My nine year old daughter is reading Spider-man loves Mary Jane.

I am working on a Transformers vol one run for him for christmas and a Stars Wars run for my daughter.

And yes I am looking for reader copies so if your holdin feel free to PM.

Also if you have other suggestions for a nine year old girl to read that would be great.

My son really isnt into comics.But I buy comics all the time.Just gifted some Rom drek yesterday.Ragged out bathroom readers but he was thankful anyway.

If I see something that a boardie is interested in I will pick it up and gift it as a surprise.

Dennis

She also owns a Tec #27.

You mean my girls finally sold those last two Tec #27s they had? I hope they disclosed the crayon color touch on one and the Playskool iron pressing and glue-stick tear seals on the other to your young'ns before finalizing the deal! ;)

they did - one came back MP 7.0 the other is a 6.5

She also owns a Tec #27.

they did - one came back MP 7.0 the other is a 6.5

:roflmao:

I am slowly working my kids into reading comics. I bought my son a bunch of different stuff but after a trip to the LCS with him and his sister they both found the books they wanted.

My six year old son is reading DC super friends and Billy Batson Shazam.

My nine year old daughter is reading Spider-man loves Mary Jane.

I am working on a Transformers vol one run for him for christmas and a Stars Wars run for my daughter.

And yes I am looking for reader copies so if your holdin feel free to PM.

Also if you have other suggestions for a nine year old girl to read that would be great.

My son really isnt into comics.But I buy comics all the time.Just gifted some Rom drek yesterday.Ragged out bathroom readers but he was thankful anyway.

If I see something that a boardie is interested in I will pick it up and gift it as a surprise.

Dennis

I remember having a few Rom books when I was a kid. What is the content like maybe that would be a fun one to get my son into.

I'll have to take a picture, but, I have a few short boxes full of kids reading material. Most from the 70s, but some a lot earlier. Favorites, by far, are Little Lulu and Walt Disney characters. We also have Richie Rich, Warner Bros Saturday morning characters (like Road Runner) and some moderns. The moderns are mainly the DC and Marvel kids lines.

Right now, my two boys are pretending to be Capt'n Eli. If you have seen this, check it out.

I'm doing this right now...my son is really into the new Spectacular Spider-man cartoon series on TV (actually I'm into that show as well) and he is "Spider-man" for Halloween...

so I'm buying him some old Spideys so he can read up on all of these characters he is seeing on the tube. May start out with the Spectacular series first.

He reads Sonic X every month now as it is.

Baby Blob was really digging some tattered Marvel Horror BA reprint I had sitting around (which I ultimately included as a freebie for some ebay buyer)... I think when he learns to read (he just turned three, he LOVES books...but I think we're a ways off given that he can only name a few letters by sight, even if he does his ABCs backwards and forwards). I'll go through the boxes and find some appropriate stuff for him.

He tends to trash things, so maybe when he is a bit more coordinated.