• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Nedors, and I'll show you mine...
2 2

175 posts in this topic

I think Schomburg enjoyed sitting down to pencil this cover. After years of creating battle scenes, he's finally showing a soldier coming home. The comic is dated October 1945, when a lot of guys actually were getting back to the states and their families.

I love all the little details on this cover. The proud parents in the background. The wife waving, the son shouting, the daughter with a blank expression because she's young enough that she might not even remember the man getting off the ship.

Then there's the band leader signaling the band to play, the planes doing a fly over, the nazi helmet that the soldier has brought home for a souvenir, the job and G.I. home loan paperwork that Doc Strange has for him.

Schomburg was the best...

th50.gif

Great Covers ! That Thrilling cover is different for Schomberg , Detail is incredible. You are so right, about Schomberg was the best.. For cover artist in the Golden Age the only ones who could match him, thumbsup2.gif IMHO were L.B.Cole and Lou Fine .Alex Schomberg left us collectors a great legacy ,his art will live on!

In my personal opinion, it's completely appropriate to post that particular cover in any and every thread on the board. tongue.gif

But seriously...I've never understood the whole Nedor/Better/Standard relationship, so yes, it absolutely qualifies...

You can get the Mile High copy of this book from Mark Wilson for 7 or 8K...

fy7.gif

That's just an awesome cover! (and povertyrow, yours is pretty nice too!) 893applaud-thumb.gif

OK - I think the writers of Doctor Strangelove got the Slim Pickens finale from this cover!!!!!! grin.gif