• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Breed of Dealers and Collectors?

141 posts in this topic

Pat-

When you state "You rarely see raw books get pressed to be displayed raw." you are correct & incorrect at the same time.

You do not see the raw books that are pressed, because you cannot tell that they were pressed. That is why you "think" you do not see them.

There are some people playing right into the hands of the anti-pressing crowd, by pressing books, saying they don't, and selling raw. I know this as a fact.

There are also the sellers who "pre-screen" pressed books at CGC. The pressed rejects come back and they sell them raw.

Many ebay people sell raw and press.

Sorry, the reality of the situation is not what you think. :sorry:

Although we can never go back and there are many things I like about CGC and the current system, I must say I prefer the 1980s grading of good, fine and mint (with some slight variations in between) that lacked the continual cutthroat and greedy attitudes that are more prevalent today.

I think it is because as you have stated, you knew very little in the '80's about comic book grading, restoration, pressing, and such. Ignorance and simple things are bliss.

But, what do I know, I haven't seen enough comic books, and I don't love comic books or this hobby. I AM A GREEDY :censored: seller! :cloud9:

Jim,

I agree with everything you are saying, and can only say for me and my house, we don't chase labels. I buy books I want in the grade I can afford, raw or CGC. When I get to the point that I'm selling 9.0 and up books for .2 difference, I personally have lost my way.

Pat,

Couldn't agree more. There is a CGC bubble, and many, many people are going to be burned when it bursts. Personally, I love picking up midgraded CGC books on ebay for LESS than guide while watching raw ebay graded books go higher. If that isn't uneccessary greed, nothing is.

Bob,

Agree. From a buisness perspective, the registry was a brilliant idea- but it's a bit of a contest, what with human nature being what it is.

Doc Watson,

I see your point. None of my comments are directed at any boardies, and i don't want this conversation to degrade into "Us vs Them".

Pat-

When you state "You rarely see raw books get pressed to be displayed raw." you are correct & incorrect at the same time.

You do not see the raw books that are pressed, because you cannot tell that they were pressed. That is why you "think" you do not see them.

There are some people playing right into the hands of the anti-pressing crowd, by pressing books, saying they don't, and selling raw. I know this as a fact.

There are also the sellers who "pre-screen" pressed books at CGC. The pressed rejects come back and they sell them raw.

Many ebay people sell raw and press.

Sorry, the reality of the situation is not what you think. :sorry:

Steve makes a good point above. The pre screen rejects that were pressed are almost certainly sold raw and obviously previously pressed. We don't seem to be highlighting these in our discussions, but they are definitely out there.

But, what do I know, I haven't seen enough comic books, and I don't love comic books or this hobby. I AM A GREEDY :censored: seller! :cloud9:

Let it go, bro. :foryou:

No offense.......

But I love being that, that is, if I am Marks definition of what a greedy seller is.

I say it loud and proud (thumbs u

No offense.......

But I love being that, that is, if I am Marks definition of what a greedy seller is.

We could get you a t-shirt with a big scarlet "G" on it. hm

No offense.......

We could get you a t-shirt with a big scarlet "G" on it. hm

Yeah! The Superman logo, but with a G instead of the S and on each sleave have the Superman logo, but put a $ where the S would be.

I love it, you are a god among posters (worship)

Yes, enough with "Greedy Steve", we want our hippie back.

You can still sell books how you want to, we will all remember you are greedy without constant reminders.

:makepoint:

Yes, enough with "Greedy Steve", we want our hippie back.

You can still sell books how you want to, we will all remember you are greedy without constant reminders.

:makepoint:

Why aren't you hard at work getting Cap N Mandi going?!?!

Scew hippies, greed is good.

I smashed all my Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Patty Griffen, Bob Dylan, Graham Parker, Loudon Wainwright III, John Lennon and George Harrison CD's last night along with a few other bands that don't believe in greed. I am now.....Hippie free......

:devil:

Guys who use GPA for pricing raw are basically stating subliminally that they don't want to leave any money on the table. That alone says a lot to me and frankly if I wanted to pay GPA I would buy the book in the holder already.

You having a fire sale, Bob?

:baiting:

I smashed all my Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Patty Griffen, Bob Dylan, Graham Parker, Loudon Wainwright III, John Lennon and George Harrison CD's last night along with a few other bands that don't believe in greed. I am now.....Hippie free......

:devil:

About time you discovered some music from the current millenium... :baiting:

Don't pick on Bob. He's much nicer in person than he is here on the boards. :)

I've heard just the opposite about you. :eek:

Well, I'm a on the boards and I'm a in person. So, I'm pretty much the same all the way around. (shrug)

This sounds more like the fundamental pricing goal that can be found in nearly every aspect of a consumer driven econonomy. This graduated pricing scheme is most pronounced in the computing world, where you see a new product being launched with a low inbuilt range of memory or microchip processing speed. Within a few months, the inbuilt memory or chip processing speed increases two-fold. Six months later, five or ten-fold, etc. This goes on until the company can retrieve enough profit to cover R&D costs and any money left over is invested into the next generation device.

Unlike the changes being made to comic books to achieve the same end, the shell of the consumer item does not need to be made larger, or modified to allow the higher capacity memory or microchip. However if the manufacturer is intent on maximizing the most return on the item, then releasing it to consumers using a graduated marketing scheme will ensure that they can strike the right balance between realizing profit before any sign of market saturation sets in.

If you think seeing a collector mentality that is obsessive about upgrading a book a few grade points higher is ridiculous, then you might think the same about people who own several versions of IPods, Nano's or IPhones. This wasteful aspect of consumerism isn't something specific to this hobby - its pervasive and the only way to determine whether its hooks will take hold of your wallet depends on whether you consider your consumer approach to be visionary, laggard or somewhere in the middle.

It is sometimes difficult to be objective about this cycle or pattern of consumerism, and I believe we all fall victim to it - perhaps some to a lesser degree than others - whether it be through our hobby interests or in our day to day living.