• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Marvel carry over from the 50s? TOS, JIM or TTA?

Best Carry over marvel  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Best Carry over marvel

29 posts in this topic

Fair enough. Admitedly I haven't read the stories so I can't comment on how well written they are but I usually collect the characters I like (don't like Human Torch like Iron Man) so unless it's a key ST issue ST will never be high on my want list. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinion and I now see that ST has a bigger following than I at first realized. As for Murph's comment that Eides was only selling keys...41,42,43, and 44 arn't keys and they brought a very big premium. It just so happens that for some reason or another almost all of the TOS run is important before #59 so of course they are selling key books also for big $$$.

Eric

You wouldn't consider the 3rd, 4th, and 5th app of Iron Man important? It's definately more important than those non-key STT books he was selling (which btw I can't find). Prices don't mean the book isn't good. It just means there's collectors for it, and possibly more valuable. STT has excellent writing and I've found the characters far more interesting and real than some of the other carry over titles.

Brian

This is like beating a dead horse. Yes obviously the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Iron Man are important but no they are not keys...which is what I said by the way. Thats like saying JIM #84 is a key when all it is is the second Thor nothing else. I am sure that the STT stories are great but you made my point for me. People don't collect STT and it doesn't bring the big bucks because of the lack of keys. The original question was what was the best carry over series and I see that STT is a fan favorite but is it really better than JIM or TOS?

Eric

From a $ standpoint? No, but I don't consider that in a medium where you're supposed to read the comic.. that when you're discussing the best title. You'd be 90 percent talking about the quality of writing. Considering not a whole lot happens in the Strange Tales titles, and it's still collected, is a very good testament to the quality of writing in the book!

If the question was "what's the most valuable" carry over title. It would definately be a different answer. But that's not the question.

Not everything can universally be a key. I'd consider the first 10 ASM books to be a key, others wouldn't. And there are universal keys too which are your usual suspects (AF 15, FF 1, etc)

Brian

Fair enough. Admitedly I haven't read the stories so I can't comment on how well written they are

Between Ditko's Dr. Strange stuff and Steranko's Nick Fury, for me it's one of the best reads of Marvel's Silver Age. You should really check some of them out.

I also should mention, since I haven't in this thread, how much I love the JIM (the current poll leader) Thor stories. A lot of those Thor covers are just mind-blowing as well.

Yeah I was watching that ST 135 auction myself Rob. That one went for a fat price tag.

Getting back to the thread topic, it's Strange Tales all the way, with TOS and JIM tied for 2nd. All three of these are "core collectables" for me. Although, I'll never do more than make a dent in the other 2 until my ST collection feels "done".

Don't forget ST had a Human Torch, Ice Man team up. And one of the cool pre 101 issues. ST 89 1st Fin Fang Foom. How cool is that guys name. He even comes into the regular Marvel Universe latter on and uses some karate moves on IT in the 1970's. Then he goes on to appear in IM in the 1990's.

If that is the best you can see in ST, well - 'nuff said.

Um okay. Let me see. Good artwork. First Dr. Strange who is at best a second tier character. You guys seem to like the later issues. I think somone mentioned Starlin. Well lets face it the early issues made it a mediocre series at best. Please feel free to prove me wrong. I have an opinion and it can be changed if you can show me how ST is a good series. Oh yeah and one last thing lets look at the collector point of view( which is mine) The demand for Strange Tales isn't there. Just look at the Eides Ebay auctions. The TOS set record prices and the ST were listed over and over again. Just my $0.02

Eric sign-rantpost.gif

The Doc Strange stories are really outstanding, regardless of the character's tier. I find him a lot more interesting, over the long run, than the other heroes. Also along with JIM, ST was the only pre-code pre-hero, and had some pretty cool 50's tales that included both pre-code horror and the Kirby/Ditko monster/sci-fi post-code. As I saw this as an "enjoyment" as opposed to "price" type poll, I still have to go with ST.