• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps you from saying "the Hell with it- I am selling my entire collection"

116 posts in this topic

After a few bad deals and extremely trying buyers/sellers, I am just about ready to say, "screw it" an put my whole collect up for sale...

What keeps you from doing this?

I am having trouble thinking of a good reason...

Because I like:

1-The books

2-The organizing, storing, and sorting

3-These boards

4-The people ive met through these boards

(thumbs u Selling my collection? The thought has never crossed my mind.

What keeps you from not collecting comics?

Why must everything be from the negative. So somebody pees in your cornflakes and how all cornflakes suck?

Let's not buy cornflakes because some people pee on them.

Sorry, back from a wedding and this is a drunken post but your logic is flawed.

:foryou:

You need to collect comics because you like comics, not because of the people that sell you comics.

R.

i'm reading no further. (worship)

...but Alex, nobody twists your arm to pay for books that you want to own, right?

There is nobody responsible for what you buy except yourself. If you are looking at resale value then maybe buying rare or obscure books may not be a good thing as the audience is very limited.

(shrug)

You have a fair point Roy. This a certainly a hobby for me, but there is also the hope that books that I purchase have some form of investment value. After all, I am sinking in a good portion of my income to collect these prized books. I fully acknowledge that if investment is the primary goal, then SA Spidey is probably the way to go. The fantastic stories alone make the Amazing Spidey books fully desireable books. But there are so many...and the early issues command huge $.

I have decided to go for a niche that places me in a position where you hardly ever see a high grade copy available. Perhaps not the best choice, but I committed myself to this over 2 years ago. The problem is that these rare/obscure books seem to come around so little often that when they do come up for sale, I get pimped for an unreasonably high asking price. In that event, I have the option of either paying the excessive price, or having a perceived "hole" in my collection that can't easily be filled.

This has happened to me numerous times over the course of my collecting Golden Age books, and it has happened 3 times in a manner of the last 2-3 weeks. I paid waaaaay more than I ever thought I would on 2 of them. In fact, it is being done to me again tonight on the 3rd. Must resist, MUST RESIST :pullhair:

Not the best investment stratagy I'm afraid . Wouldn't that be akin to buying a stock that the majority of people are not interested in and buying it at a premium at the top of the mkt ? .. (shrug)

What keeps you from saying "the Hell with it- I am selling my entire collection?

1) Inertia.

2) OCD.

3) Not getting market value for everything.

4) Too much time has been put into the building of this collection.

5) The void that would exist without the books.

6) Having to read books without pictures.

7) Too old to take up windsurfing

I had to sell off my entire collection about 4 months back, and even though it hurt, the reasons for selling them far outweighed any reason to keep them. There were a few books I wish I could have kept (my Sid's Luncheonette's and a couple of others), but again, every book is replaceable. I didn't know at the time if I would ever get back into the hobby, and at that point I really didn't care. as my main focus was doing what I had to do. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

It took 26 years for the hobby to call me back, but the point is, IT DID. The actual driving force to COLLECT comics and fellowship with others in the hobby, in and of itself, can bring you pure joy. If it's truly in you, you WILL be back whether it's 1 year or twenty.

Just my 2c