• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps you from saying "the Hell with it- I am selling my entire collection"

116 posts in this topic

After a few bad deals and extremely trying buyers/sellers, I am just about ready to say, "screw it" an put my whole collect up for sale...

What keeps you from doing this?

I am having trouble thinking of a good reason...

Paypal fees?

After a few bad deals and extremely trying buyers/sellers, I am just about ready to say, "screw it" an put my whole collect up for sale...

Paypal fees?

Ebay fee's or any auction site that has fee's :makepoint:

The trouble of pricing and selling books.

What keeps you from not collecting comics?

Why must everything be from the negative. So somebody pees in your cornflakes and how all cornflakes suck?

Let's not buy cornflakes because some people pee on them.

Sorry, back from a wedding and this is a drunken post but your logic is flawed.

:foryou:

You need to collect comics because you like comics, not because of the people that sell you comics.

R.

What keeps you from not collecting comics?

Why must everything be from the negative. So somebody pees in your cornflakes and how all cornflakes suck?

Let's not buy cornflakes because some people pee on them.

Sorry, back from a wedding and this is a drunken post but your logic is flawed.

:foryou:

You need to collect comics because you like comics, not because of the people that sell you comics.

R.

Very eloquently put , you drunken bast*#urd ................. (thumbs u

HARD Sex

(worship)lol

I got burned in a deal from a local piece of mess when I started collecting again a fw years back. I was pretty pizzed about it and the experience certainly ruined comics for me for a few days.

I later realized it wasn't the comics I was mad about, it was the lowlife, scum slurping, dirtball, mother :censored: in' piece of human debris I was mad at and the fact that he took my hobby and dragged it through the mud for the sole purpose of screwing me over for a few hundred dollars. I was also mad because, let's face it, no one likes to be a mark and it is frankly embarrassing when you get screwed because you might view yourself as such a well educated collector.

I think that hard learned lesson made me a better collector and I shouldn't have been relying on trusting that dirtworm or my not-so-up-to-date knowledge of comic books at the time. The guy royally screwed himself in the end, because had he not burned me I likely would have been a return customer.

Guys like this get their comeuppance sooner or later - it usually is later, but eventually it catches them right in the short. :devil:

Don't let a few suckers ruin the hobby for you - that's giving someone far too much power over you. Just my 2c

(BTW, I responded to a few ads with people selling their comics and they said they were going to sell to this guy who burned me. The guy lowballed them all and I wound up getting a few really nice batches of books because of it. A little justice there.)

I frequently waver back and forth on your question. I love collecting comics, especially rare ones, but it always seems that I am paying thru the nose on books, only to have problems recovering the prices paid in the event that I need to sell. What keeps me from liquidating all of my books? There are certain books in my collection that are favorites, and the other books in my collection add an extra value in my eyes to those favorite books. The select favorite books create a desire to build upon the collection, to complete runs in certain titles.

...but Alex, nobody twists your arm to pay for books that you want to own, right?

There is nobody responsible for what you buy except yourself. If you are looking at resale value then maybe buying rare or obscure books may not be a good thing as the audience is very limited.

(shrug)