• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars

9 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the boards and got to talking about my ERB collection with some guys in the Golden age comics area. I pulled out a few things and had this too and thought I would share it with the Original Art Collectors. This is the original cover art to Gold Key's John Carter of Mars #3.

I purchased over 70 original art pieces from a writer at Gold Key awhile back and this was one of them.

Enjoy!

erb032.jpg

erb033.jpg

erb034.jpg

Yeah, the writer was really great to talk to. I got some really great stuff from him which I have since sold most of it. Wish I had known about these boards before doing that, I bet some of you would of really liked what all I had.

The collection included Turok #26 pages 1-14 complete first story, plus the 2nd story pages 23-26, 29-31. The covers for Atom Ant #1, Frankenstein JR. #1, Woody Woodpecker #94, Top Cat #11, Virginian #1, and Super TV Heroes #4 to name a few. All of these have been sold.

I still have a few covers including I think (haven't looked lately) The Little Monsters #4 and #9. Plus some covers and or back covers to some March of Comics including Bugs Bunny F & B of MOC #301, Flintstones F & B of MOC #299, Jetsons F & B #330, plus several others.

There was also a lot of interior art pages including a couple of complete stories never published of Sergeant Preston. Singles of Angel, Little Iodine, and a few one story westerns.

And there were some strips too believe it or not. The guy had everything and not from just Gold Key. He had Dell also, plus like I said earlier, newspaper strips.

And are you ready for this? Towards the end of the deal, he said he wanted to keep a "few" to enjoy. I of course said okay. When I came back to pick everything up and finalize the deal he had picked out nearly 50 pieces with over half of them being covers.

So he still has 50 pieces, plus he has a 1960's Peanuts daily with Snoopy in all panels. He also has a couple of stacks of painted art from a boy and girls magazine which was really neat. Needless to say I have tried to stay in touch with him and hope to get the rest sometime soon as the first deal was nearly three years ago now.

I will try to post some of what I have left for your enjoyment soon.

Thanks for the breakdown, nice find and you probably want to keep in touch with him. Wish I could of seen the Turok and the Super TV Heros pieces and certainly the Space Family Robinson

Oh yeah, Mr. Trent, I'm sorry but there was no lost in space. Nor was there any Star Trek KLNole. There were a couple of March Of Comic covers of Space Family Robinson which were really neat.

By the way, the cover you posted is credited to Jesse Marsh. Your cover is from the last issue of three.

The SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON art sounds interesting. If you have any examples, or get any in, I would possibly be interested (depending on content and if you want to part with any).

I don't collect PEANUTS art, but you'll probably be aware that the originals command high-end prices.

Here's a MARCH OF COMICS back-cover (Space Family Robinson/Lost in Space) by Dan Spiegle that I own:

2n2igz.jpg