• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG!!! Harley Yee graded this Fantastic Four #7 a 9.2 ?!?!?!?!?!

41 posts in this topic

Is the name written on the front a trait of a Winnipeg collection?
Yep...especially on the Silver marvels. However, there were a few Winnipeg DCs from the 1960s with no signatures. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I was exaggerating a little bit. Guess everyone has their pet peeve - mine is writing on the book, especially the cover. I can handle a date stamp though...I would probably pass on a written arrival date on the cover unless I really needed the book or it was a good deal otherwise.

Yep...especially on the Silver marvels. However, there were a few Winnipeg DCs from the 1960s with no signatures. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If slabbed would it get a Q label or Universal?

If slabbed would it get a Q label or Universal?

Universal! I guess it's factored into the grade. When I spoke with Steve a few months ago, he said that the signature is how most of the Winnipegs can be identified, as apparently Daniel Greenlagh of Showcase New England (purchaser of the collection) didn't really keep a master list. They actually found a better pedigree collection a year after the Winnipegs that they dubbed the Golden State collection but Steve mentioned that the only reason why the books aren't given the pedigree name on the label is that there wasn't a master list or any COA provided. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here is a scan of a CGC graded Winnipeg book I own. It's got that (to some) annoying signature on it, as noted on the label. I suspect if it was graded today, there would be some clarification on the label that the signature was a characteristic of the pedigree. Of course, I still can't figure out why a guy would sit and scrawl his name on the cover of all his books, unless he was 8 years old. Why not the back? By the way, this scan is in two parts that I welded together so forgive any anomolies.

avengers3wp72.jpg

if that Avengers 3 is a 9.0 Winnepeg, then poor Harley's FF is a 7.5.

But remember ... Harley only called it a NM-.

In his day (our day) thats what it would have been graded and sold as.

But Harley surely knows better and definitely was playng some sort of game by grading it NM-.....

I still can't figure out why a guy would sit and scrawl his name on the cover of all his books, unless he was 8 years old.

you probably nailed it right there. I dont know how old the Winnepeg collector was, but Id guess he WAS 8 years old or so when he scrawled his name on ALL of his funnybooks so his brothers, cousins, neighbors, bully on the block couldnt take em and say they were theirs!! They were just funnybooks!! big deal.

I "shared " my collection with my next door neighbor back then. And we decided to write our initials on th eback covers. But we werent so smart... we used a fat black marker and wrote in inch-high letters!!

sigh...

Some people can't stand the sig at all, it doesn't bother me very much,....of course placement is important too....on Yee's FF7 at least the background is dark and the signature doesn't interfere as much as it does on a book with a light background, or, as is the case with my Avengers #3, right on the logo.

I'd love to know a little bit more about the guy....Dennis Kjolso.

I also have seen scans of CGC graded Winnipegs where the note "name written on cover" is not included.

I also have seen scans of CGC graded Winnipegs where the note "name written on cover" is not included.

The copy that you posted was slabbed during the time that CGC put notes on their labels regarding visible markings on the covers. They have since ceased to do so anymore.