• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG!!! Harley Yee graded this Fantastic Four #7 a 9.2 ?!?!?!?!?!

41 posts in this topic

you probably nailed it right there. I dont know how old the Winnepeg collector was, but Id guess he WAS 8 years old or so when he scrawled his name on ALL of his funnybooks so his brothers, cousins, neighbors, bully on the block couldnt take em and say they were theirs!! They were just funnybooks!! big deal.

This kind of attitude kind of bugs me, as the comics were owned by the kid, and since he laid down the 12-cents, he can do whatever he pleases with them. We seem to have some serious revisionist history going on here, where people are placing their own "adult mores" on the kids of the 60's, who were using them for their INTENDED PURPOSE: cheap entertainment.

You have to remember, grading is still subjective. If you disagree with the grade contact Harley, he's very easy to get along with.

I've dealt with the man for a few years and never had any problems. If I did he would make good for it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok both points taken to heart. First off your right it's beating a dead horse to be like "yup not a NM-"

"Sure doesn't look like a NM- to me maybe a VF"

on the other hand though I can't believe that someone as reputable as him could make a mistake like that and it makes me wonder why. On a side note I do like Harley Yee alot he is the only person who has ever sold me a raw book that came back a higher grade from CGC. I guess I'm just curious why he can go from being that tight a grader to this loose.

Eric sign-rantpost.gif

It happens. I've been collecting on and off for over 35 years. & 17 in the last. Try to grade the same pile of comics on diffrent occasions. Depending on your mood, day, etc. you'll probably come up with diffrent grades. The best in the field such as Mark Wilson, Steve Fishler, James Payette, etc. would all tell you the same thing. Grading is 2 ways: the objective ( describing defects) and the subjective ( evaluating the defects). That's what we look for as collectors, consistency in the dealers and graders opinions. Even CGC is not the be all and end all. Again we look for consistency. That's why we as collectors have to learn to grade ourselves and get to know our sellers grading.

If you look at all of his current raw auctions, he puts a descriptor at the end of most of them reading "@ $xxx" which lists the starting price. On most of the books, the starting price is in the neighborhood of what each issue in its listed condition goes for in the guide. It's possible that the NM- descriptor is a typo since he lists the book "@ $420"...that's around the range a VF- copy would be. A real NM- copy would be more like $1500 - $2500...and he's definitely the kinda guy who charges that much or more for NM- books like this!

Harley's grading is often off by a notch or two, but I haven't seen him be almost a full grade off like it looks like he is on this one.

On a side note I do like Harley Yee alot he is the only person who has ever sold me a raw book that came back a higher grade from CGC.

Same here, Harley sold me a book he graded 7.0, it came back from CGC 8.5!

Timely

I used to buy some high grade westerns off Harley back in the late

80's when he had the double page ads in the CBG. Always was

satisfied with his pretty close grading then, though it does seem

that he travels quite a bit, and seems to be all over the country and

the online auction front. Probably just a typo. I'm sure he would

clarify things were you to email him about the listing.

you probably nailed it right there. I dont know how old the Winnepeg collector was, but Id guess he WAS 8 years old or so when he scrawled his name on ALL of his funnybooks so his brothers, cousins, neighbors, bully on the block couldnt take em and say they were theirs!! They were just funnybooks!! big deal.

This kind of attitude kind of bugs me, as the comics were owned by the kid, and since he laid down the 12-cents, he can do whatever he pleases with them. We seem to have some serious revisionist history going on here, where people are placing their own "adult mores" on the kids of the 60's, who were using them for their INTENDED PURPOSE: cheap entertainment.

Hey, JC, I dont understand what attitude you are bugged by here in my quote. I placed no adult value judgment on an 8-year olds actions with his comics, I stated that he probably wrote his name on them so nobody could swipe them, like we did on lots of our stuff back then. We did it precisely BECAUSE they had so little value and were very common in the neighborhood. So common that w/o your name on it, you couldnt tell whose was whose. Especially between siblings! Ill bet he had an older brother who liked comics too, but that the Winnepeg collector like them a lot more and took steps to make sure he kept HIS out of his brothers' stash.

that's very funny ( monster eating the cover). But don't forget, according to Overstreet as much as a 1/4 inch triangle can be missing from the cover and the book qualifies as a Good. that looks like about a 1/4 foot triangle to me. That HAS to be an error in listing. smirk.gif

I am simply stunned! Look at the scan. It's not even a good scan and I can see major spine wear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204208577&category=32731

Eric

That's nothing, at the Vegas con he had no grades on his books and just priced everything at NM. Problem being that nothing was even close to NM. 893naughty-thumb.gif

OMG!!! Harley Yee graded this Fantastic Four #7 a 9.2 ?!?!?!?!?!

The fool! Can't he see this is a 9.6 at least? He really missed out on some ducats by undergrading... insane.gif

Maybe what blazingbob said in a thread was true...HArley picked this up when it was true "NM-" and just let it ride with that grade. Considering the shows that he must have carted this around to, and after all the pawing that drooling fanboys have subjected the "NM-" to, this is what you have left confused-smiley-013.gif