• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel tops 50% in September

8 posts in this topic

DC is getting pummeled:

complete linky

Diamond's September 2008 Comics Sales Charts & Market Share

By Michael Doran

posted: 20 October 2008 12:45 pm

Diamond Comics Distributors released their Top 100 Comic Book and Graphic Novel sales charts and Market Share report for the September 2008 comic book Direct Market on Monday, and Marvel Comics may have achieved an industry milestone for the first time in the single major distributor/post-Marvel bankruptcy era - over 50% Unit Market Share - i.e. over half of every comic book and graphic novel ordered by retailers in September was a Marvel publication.

The figure was reached anchored by the latest issue of Secret Invasion (#6) and perhaps given the small percentage Marvel exceeded 50% (50.92% to be exact), helped along by the lack of an issue of DC's event Final Crisis. DC's bestselling title of the month was the still strong All Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder #10, the #4 selling title of the month.

Marvel also charted the other 8 titles in the Top Ten, including the debuts of a Stephen King two-fer The Stand: Captain Trips #1 (#8) and The Dark Tower #1 (#9).

DC's Watchmen trade paperback continued its run atop the graphic novel chart, where it could conceivably remain until March when the Warner Bros. big screen feature is released.

On the Market Share side, as mentioned Marvel took in 50.92% of the Unit Market share, which may well be a first in any industry era. DC followed of course with 28.47%.

On the Dollar Share side, Marvel led with 45.31% to DC's 27.29%.

SEPTEMBER 2008 MARKET SHARES

Based on Actual Sales for Comics, Magazines, & GNs Invoiced in September 2008

Publisher

Comics, Magazines, & GNs Dollar Share

Comics, Magazines, & GNs Unit Share

MARVEL COMICS

45.31%

50.92%

DC COMICS

27.29%

28.47%

DARK HORSE COMICS

6.19%

4.87%

IMAGE COMICS

3.74%

3.74%

IDW PUBLISHING

2.92%

2.56%

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS

Based on Actual Unit Sales of Products Invoiced in September 2008

Qty Rank

Retail Rank

Index

Description

Price

Ven

SECRET INVASION #6 (Of 8) SI*

$3.99

MAR

HULK #6*

$2.99

MAR

NEW AVENGERS #45 SI

$2.99

MAR

ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN BOY WONDER #10*

$2.99

DC

MIGHTY AVENGERS #18 SI

$2.99

MAR

ULTIMATES 3 #5 (Of 5)

$2.99

MAR

UNCANNY X-MEN #502 MD

$2.99

MAR

STAND CAPTAIN TRIPS #1 (Of 5)*

$3.99

MAR

DARK TOWER TREACHERY #1 (Of 6)*

$3.99

MAR

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #570 NWD*

$2.99

MAR

crazy...

Come to think of it, I don't buy a single regular DCU title... I've tried a few here and there, but I always end up dropping them. Read some Vertigo stuff and ASBats, but that's it.

Wonder if the sales for that were hurt by the printing error thing... I know I wasn't about to buy a "regular" version off the stands when there was a good version out there to be had!

Well when they throw out so much every month that all the zombies glom on to...it's not surprising.

Really? People still buy X titles?

I had to drop SI it was so bad.

Ah well, what do I know.

I'll stick with my DC titles and be happy with some of the best writing I've seen in years.

Do like Cap and Runaways, though.

Well, I'll like Runaways once Ramos is gone, anyway.