• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BUILDING YOUR COLLECTION....

41 posts in this topic

O.K I'll start this off by saying I've been reading comic books since early 1980 ..

And started a collection of some of my favorite books to read like G.I.Joe - uncanny x-men - amazing spiderman some D.C issues but not many (batman at best) and in the early 90's my parents moved to Houston (The Woodlands) and on the move down there I lost alot of books (my whole collection) when the trailer we used had a hole in it and filled with water.

Fast forward to the mid 90's and I started working and dabbled in stocks and made some money and wanted to rebuild the collection I once had. when I had enough money to do so I bought out some comic shops (2) that where closing and all the contents in them for dirt cheap. made my money back first and kept what I made in profit to continue to buy stuff at shows or other collections that I come across.

Some good & some bad - but live and learn and for some reason I have a love to sell comics and wrap them up to ship - wanted to open my own comic shop -brick & mortor - but couldn't pull my self to do so as I never wanted to lose what I had built.

One comic at a time. First I completed my FF collection, it seemed impossible at the beginning but eventually I tracked them all down. Strangely enough #97 was the last. I guess I'm the buy and hold mutual fund investor type. I've been buying comics for over 30 years and once a comic goes into my collection it tends to stay there.

I started about 6 years ago buying VF books of titles like Thor and Avengers. I would buy and buy and then decide to work on something else and then eventually the HG bug got a hold of me.

So, i would sell off the other stuff I bought and plow that money plus more money into higher grade and higher dollar books.

I work a part time job that i use some of that money to buy comics with.

I still do the same thing in that I buy stuff, sell it later and add more money (although not as much as I used to) to buy new books.

Between about 1971 and late 2001 (30 years) I didn't own a single comic book. Then in early 2002 I started perusing eBay and was amazed what kind of prices the comics on there were bringing. My first comics purchase was about a week later at a local book store (Toad Hall) and I spent $275.00. About 50,000 comics and about 100 complete runs later I'm still buying but selling off duplicates and what I don't want to fund what I do still buy.

Yeah, I kinda went crazy there for a while. :insane::acclaim:

Shark

I first started reading comics in the late 70's (my cousins stuff) and started buying them off the spinner racks in the 80's. Kept on buying comics until the mid-90's when all that busts went down and I had a new house, new child, and a new job. I started back in comics collecting when I got a computer and discovered Ebay in 2000. I've been slowly but surely filling in runs of Marvels and whatever looks cool.

Between about 1971 and late 2001 (30 years) I didn't own a single comic book. Then in early 2002 I started perusing eBay and was amazed what kind of prices the comics on there were bringing. My first comics purchase was about a week later at a local book store (Toad Hall) and I spent $275.00. About 50,000 comics and about 100 complete runs later I'm still buying but selling off duplicates and what I don't want to fund what I do still buy.

Yeah, I kinda went crazy there for a while. :insane::acclaim:

Shark

WOW !! You just went full force into this hobby didn't you Shark ?? lol

I know people are reading this so chime in and let us know how you got to where you are to day.

Feeding frenzy on comics like sharks.....that's the origin of your s.n.?

Actually, no...that's not how I came up with "Shark". I used to be a big Greg Norman fan (aka The Shark) and that's how it originated. I've also used sharkbite, sharkbite2557, etc.....

Mike (Shark)