• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of us are there?

31 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has been discussed here before. I did a search and did not find it.

When it comes to collectors who specialize in Golden Age comics, how many are there in the U.S.? World wide?

Sure, Silver, Bronze and Modern collectors probably have some, but I am talking about those of us that live for the next Golden Age acquisition. Those of us who would rather have a Dickie Dare #1 in 5.0 than a Daredevil #7 in 8.0.

Not really counting dealers who obtain books and immediately put them up for sale on their web sites or on their back wall.

Got any educated guesses? Are there more members of Congress than there are of us? Are there more collectors of ink pens than there are of us?

I include the Atom Age in with the Golden Age. I am all about the Atom Age right now, and it took me awhile to get back to my true collecting love. Pre-code horror/crime are where it is at to me. I just picture the "Ozzie & Harriet", "duck and cover" parents of the 1950's having an involuntary bowel movement when they saw what Junior or Sis was reading for the first time. lol I am sure decapitations, hypodermics and reefers were not commonplace in white picket fence America......hell...they were too busy liking Ike.

Aren't they just wonderful?

Count me in.

Scott

Forgive me if this has been discussed here before. I did a search and did not find it.

When it comes to collectors who specialize in Golden Age comics, how many are there in the U.S.? World wide?

Sure, Silver, Bronze and Modern collectors probably have some, but I am talking about those of us that live for the next Golden Age acquisition. Those of us who would rather have a Dickie Dare #1 in 5.0 than a Daredevil #7 in 8.0.

Not really counting dealers who obtain books and immediately put them up for sale on their web sites or on their back wall.

Got any educated guesses? Are there more members of Congress than there are of us? Are there more collectors of ink pens than there are of us?

There will be less as the collecting market tanks. GA value is going to plummet for anything but Pedigree and high grade keys. I know this is an unpopular view here, considering all the people who earn an income through comics...but that's the way it is. But as long as it's fun for you, then it's worth it.

Also, an asteroid, containing a rare element that upon impact with the atmosphere, destroys old pulp paper, is going to hit the earth. GA, is over valued and there will be a correction. The depth of the economic downturn we're headed into is going to be devastating. I hear that if you saute GA in a little bit of EVOA and garlic, it's not half bad.

666...................... :o
got greggy last night, you today lol

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:17, 18)

Also, an asteroid, containing a rare element that upon impact with the atmosphere, destroys old pulp paper, is going to hit the earth. GA, is over valued and there will be a correction. The depth of the economic downturn we're headed into is going to be devastating. I hear that if you saute GA in a little bit of EVOA and garlic, it's not half bad.

with a nice Chianti! Tfff! Tfff! Tfff!

I collect both but somehow usually buy Golden Age instead of Silver. I consider Silver Surfer silly but collect Green Turtle covers.

bb

17, there are 17 goldenage collectors, I agree with BlackHand, no one except17 people will want GA comics any longer...

So, Vince, can I have your Pep 22, please? before the meteor hits;)?

pep 22, is there a 1592292-Troll.gif in it?

666...................... :o
got greggy last night, you today lol

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:17, 18)

Too long an explanation to put on here, but the bottom line is that the 666 mentioned in the Bible, referred to Nero. It was the numerical way of stating his name.

What most people don't realize is that the Bible was written after the fact, and was a way of mostly recording history in the eyes of the writers, according to their agenda's or whatever. Some of the Bible was projections about the future, but very little. Everyone assumes that the anti-christ is coming in the future. "He" was actually Nero (according to many religious scholars) and has already been here. The words mentioning the anti-christ were actually written AFTER he was here.

Has there ever been a comic book story about some hero or heroes going to battle with the actual anti-christ? I know they routinely fight with gods, demons and even the devil, but have "they" ever fought the anti-christ in a comic book?

I recall Lobo actually dieing and being thrown out of hell and Heaven, because he caused so much trouble in both. One of the funniest stories I have read. I remember God watching Lobo tearing Heaven apart and this God figure in the background, laughing as he watch, and eventually sending Lobo back to earth and alive again. Hilarious stuff.

But, I digress.

There will be less as the collecting market tanks. GA value is going to plummet for anything but Pedigree and high grade keys. I know this is an unpopular view here, considering all the people who earn an income through comics...but that's the way it is. But as long as it's fun for you, then it's worth it.

Give me a call Vince. I would love to buy your comics before the market crashes.