• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new price record I suppose?

61 posts in this topic

I'm with Roy, $41K seems about right in today's market for an FF12 in 9.4. It's a top census copy and a strong 9.4 with perfect centering and great colors. It's one of only five copies in grade. It's one of the iconic early SA Marvel books - first meeting between Hulk and FF, first Hulk cross-over, etc. It sports an awesome Kirby cover. It's not a book that will change much at the top of the census going forward. It was published in the most formative and experimental stage of the development of the Marvel Universe.

Also, compare it for scarcity with the Hulk 181 that sold for $25K in the same auction. The latter is not at the top of the census and it is one of 15 in grade. The number of high grade slabbed copies is continually increasing.

For me, FF12 is right there with issues 3,4, and 5 as being the most desirable and scarce (in grade) FFs of all besides the origin ish.

FF #12 is one of the greatest SA books available. I'd probably put it in my personal top 5.

ASM #14 doesn't hold a candle to that book.

:sumo:

I'm with Roy, $41K seems about right in today's market for an FF12 in 9.4. It's a top census copy and a strong 9.4 with perfect centering and great colors. It's one of only five copies in grade. It's one of the iconic early SA Marvel books - first meeting between Hulk and FF, first Hulk cross-over, etc. It sports an awesome Kirby cover. It's not a book that will change much at the top of the census going forward. It was published in the most formative and experimental stage of the development of the Marvel Universe.

Also, compare it for scarcity with the Hulk 181 that sold for $25K in the same auction. The latter is not at the top of the census and it is one of 15 in grade. The number of high grade slabbed copies is continually increasing.

For me, FF12 is right there with issues 3,4, and 5 as being the most desirable and scarce (in grade) FFs of all besides the origin ish.

I believe this is the first Marvel crossover not just first Hulk crossover. Excluding #4 as Submariner wasn't really a hero and didn't have his own title. Marvel crossed almost every new character into FF, their flagship title, to promote sales. The only exception that I can think of was Spiderman which they did the reverse, they crossed FF into ASM#1 to promote sales of ASM.

I believe this is the first Marvel crossover not just first Hulk crossover. Excluding #4 as Submariner wasn't really a hero and didn't have his own title. Marvel crossed almost every new character into FF, their flagship title, to promote sales. The only exception that I can think of was Spiderman which they did the reverse, they crossed FF into ASM#1 to promote sales of ASM.

FF #12 and ASM #1 are tied for first crossover but this is such a bigger and better book IMO.

I always thought ASM #1 was kind of a downer after ASM #15. Don't know why but I have always felt this way.

R.

FF #12 and ASM #1 are tied for first crossover but this is such a bigger and better book IMO.

I always thought ASM #1 was kind of a downer after ASM #15. Don't know why but I have always felt this way.

R.

Don't be a downer. :cry:

What were NM copies of this book going for prior to advent of CGC?

Who can remember back that far?

Spidey 14 sold for a bit more than FF 12 but even prior to CGC FF 12 was hard to find in high grade. That did affect the guide price as true high grade copies didn't change hands as much.

I always thought ASM #1 was kind of a downer after AF #15. Don't know why but I have always felt this way.

R.

Fixed that for you. ASM1 was a cool issue but more of the same after AF15.

What were NM copies of this book going for prior to advent of CGC?

Alot. I remember Jason Ewert (!) offering a NM- copy of FF12 at a comic con in the early nineties for something like $1,200. This put FF12 in high grade on par with FF 3,4 and 5 even back then.

As for NM copies, years pass without any ever coming up for sale (there are only 4 copies graded above 9.2, all in 9.4).