• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics at the University/Help

9 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a proposal for a graphic novels course where I teach. I have a great deal of support from within my department (English), but the proposal will have to pass muster with a comittee comprised of members of other departments who aren't in the least familiar with what graphic novels are.

In order to ease them into the idea that such a course is worthy of study at the collegiate level, I'd like to include in my proposal a list of similar courses being taught at other institutions.

I have a few examples in hand, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a few more.

Any help would be appreciated.

What's your timeline look like? I'm pretty swamped right now, but in my basic ENG 075: Integrated Reading & Writing, I'm incorporating the graphic novel into my course outline. If you like, I can provide you with some information on how I'm planning to do so (in a few weeks) as well as any feedback on how the students received the material?

LMK

The timeline is rather long. The initial proposal to the department will be some time in December. The proposal will go to the full committee some time next year. The initial course wouldn't be offered for at least two years.

Any examples and feedback will be appreciated.

I'm in the process of text selection and constructing my syllabus. Works that are definitely in are the Contract with God Trilogy, Dogs and Water, Blankets, Maus, and Persepolis.

Works on the shortlist include Watchmen, A Journey in North Korea, Siberia, Cicada, Clyde Fans, Epileptic, The Rabbi's Cat, Four Letter Worlds, and Jimmy Corrigan-the Smartest Kid on Earth. I'm still looking for other works as well, particularly translations from manga and bandes dessinees.

Works that are out: Yukiko's Spinach, what an awful, self-indulgent piece of hooey, and any other work that has as its only themes--my life sucks, everybody hates me, self-absorption is my life, life is nihilism. Okay, end of rant. :)

I'm using Pride of Baghdad. It'll be a nice piece to dovetail some discussion of current events in addition to practicing good ol' critical thinking skills. Persepolis (the movie) was absolutely phenomenal in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the graphic novel soon. This will be a real experiment for me as I've never incorporated graphic novels into my classroom experience, but I'll definitely let you know what works and does not work! (thumbs u