• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hellboy/ BPRD

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone have a list of or a link to what order the minis go in? I have bits and pieces of several of them that I have picked up out of $.50 boxes and was thinking about getting them in order, finishing the runs, and reading them. Sorry if there was a thread on this before but I couldn't find it with the search!

BPRD pretty much kicks off after Hellboy quits the Bureau, but here's the BPRD order...

1 BPRD Hollow Earth mini

2 BPRD The Soul of Venice one-shot

3 BPRD Dark Waters one-shot

4 BPRD Night Train one-shot

5 BPRD There's Something under my Bed one-shot

6 BPRD Plague of Frogs mini

7 BPRD The Dead mini

8 BPRD The Black Flame mini

9 BPRD The Universal Machine mini

10 BPRD Garden of Souls mini

11 BPRD Killing Ground mini

and whatever the most recent series is...

Ok, Hellboy is a tough one because the stories are in no real order on their own and some even skip forward in time. This timeline comes from wikipedia, so consider it a good starting point but not particularly definitive. The Hellboy Companion supposedly has a thourough timeline. I've triend to coordinate stories (bold and underlined) with where they were published (bold and italic).

1944, Scotland: Hellboy is 'born'.

1947, New Mexico: Hellboy becomes estranged from the denizens of Hell. (Pancakes, Dark Horse Presents Annual 1999, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

Late 1947, New Mexico: Hellboy's dog, Max, ingests some alien blood and mutates into an alien creature. (Hellboy Weird Tales #2)

1952, Hellboy is granted honorary human status by the UN and becomes a field agent for the B.P.R.D.

1954, England: Hellboy is asked by the Osiris Club to slay the Saint Leonard Worm. Hellboy is successful, but the mission was really a cover for the Club to discern Hellboy's true allegiances. In the end, they remain undecided, although the lilies that grew from his blood spatters indicate that Hellboy would not confine himself to his destiny. Bruttenholm's complicity in this test is unknown. (The Nature of the Beast, DHP #151 reprinted in Hellboy: TheRight Hand of Doom TPB)

1956, Norway: Bruttenholm sends Hellboy to help Professor Edmond Aickman (who worked with Bruttenholm in Burma and Chengdu) with the King Vold myth. Aickman is only interested in the potential reward, and maneuvers Hellboy into completing Vold's tasks for him. (King Vold, Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1957, India: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1958, Malaysia: Hellboy is sent to investigate a series of killings. Hellboy is tricked by the person responsible, but he manages to survive the encounter. (The Penanggalan, Hellboy Premiere Edition)

1959, Ireland: To retrieve a baby, Hellboy must bear a corpse to his final resting place. The King of the Daoine Sidh oversees the matter personally. This is the first (but not the last time) he will take a personal interest in Hellboy. (The Corpse, Hellboy: The Corpse and the Iron Shoes, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1959, New Guinea: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1959, Macapa: Hellboy stops Herman von Klempt's experiments, but the severed head survives.

1961, Ireland: Hellboy ensnares the Iron Shoes demon and hands his shoes over to Father Mike. (Iron Shoes, Hellboy: The Corpse and The Iron Shoes, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1961, Saybrook, Connecticut: Hellboy works with Father Edward Kelly on an unnamed mission.

1964, Bereznik, Russia: Hellboy tracks down the Baba Yaga, and in the ensuing encounter shoots out her left eye. (Baba Yaga, Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1964, India: Hellboy pilots a haunted fighter jet from World War II. (Hellboy:Weird Tales #7)

1967, Kyoto, Japan: Hellboy travels to Japan, and handles a case involving floating heads called nuke-kubi. (Heads, Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom)

1967, Shuzenji, Japan: Hellboy is called to a natural spa with supposed healing power and ends up fighting a monster inhabiting the bath. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #2)

1969, Lockmaben, Scotland: Bruttenholm and Hellboy visit the castle which would later be purchased by Count Guarino. The Guarinos would turn out to be Satanists.

1979, Portland, Oregon: Mister Tod, a physical medium (much like Johann Kraus) whom Hellboy had met several years earlier, unwittingly allows a space-borne monster to gain form using his body's ectoplasm. Hellboy manages to repulse the entity, but Mister Tod is destroyed in the process. This being was much like the entities in space that The Nazis and Herman von Klempt were trying to contact in Conqueror Worm. (Goodbye Mister Tod, Gary Gianni's The Monstermen, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1979, Guatemala: Professor Bruttenholm sends Hellboy to stop a madman from using an ancient artfiact, the Xul Chalak. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #5)

1982, Yorkshire, England: Hellboy, after over seven years of searching, tracks down the body of the vampire Countess Ilona Kakosky. She attempts to trick him with an illusion, but he kills her. (The Varcolac, Dark Horse Extra #14-19, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB, The Art of Hellboy)

1982, India: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1989, England: Hellboy investigates the disappearance of Ann Heath, who was lured underground by a demon. (A Christmas Underground, Hellboy Christmas Special, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1990, Anonta, Ontario: Hellboy and Abe capture a wendigo in Canada. (B.P.R.D.:The Universal Machine #1-5, reprinted in B.P.R.D.:The Universal Machine TPB)

1991, Paris, France: The B.P.R.D. suspects the cast of the Grand Guignol has murdering patrons. Hellboy is sent to confront them and becomes part of the show. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #6)

1992, Lake Okanagan, British Columbia: Hellboy and Abe search for the Ogopogo Monster. Abe is injured.

1993, New York, New York, Africa: Hellboy is invited to the New York Explorer's Club, where a recently acquired mummy "speaks" with him. Although the conversation appears to take place invisibly and in a matter of seconds from the outside, the mummy tells him the tale of Makoma, born at the beginning of the world and wandering it to its end. While the significance of this is unknown, Makoma appears until the end to be Hellboy, both in looks and personality. The mummy collapses after relating the tale, and Hellboy is immediately ejected and banned from the Explorer's Club. (Makoma, Hellboy: Makoma, or, A Tale Told by a Mummy in the New York City Explorers' Club on August 16, 1993

1994, Markleuthen, Germany: Hellboy, Abe and Liz are sent to investigate reports of children being abducted by a ghostly circus. (Hellboy Weird Tales #1)

1994, The Cavendish Hall affair. (Seed of Destruction, Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #1-4, reprinted in Hellboy: Seed of Destruction TPB)

1994, Griart, the Balkans: Hellboy and Kate visit a town decimated by werewolves. Father Kelly had been there before them to investigate, but he was murdered along with the rest of the town. (The Wolves of St. August. DHP #88-91, reprinted in Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August TPB (first edition), Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1995, Scotland: Hellboy returns to the ruined church where he appeared in the world, and has a dream-vision of his origin: His mother, as a young woman, had cavorted with a demon, and on Walpurgisnacht (a night of great significance to witches) conceived Hellboy as a result. Hellboy lay dormant within her, until the demon returned at the end of the woman's life to claim her and his unborn son. During this dream, Hellboy believes that the demon turned to acknowledge him. (The Chained Coffin, DHP #100-102, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1997, Romania: The Giurescu affair. (Almost Colossus, Hellboy: Almost Colossus #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Other TPB, and Wake the Devil, Hellboy: Wake The Devil #1-5, reprinted in Hellboy: Wake The Devil TPB)

1998, Lizarza, Spain: Hellboy meets up with Adrian Frost, the son of Malcolm Frost. Hellboy relates his life story to Frost, and the two realize that Hellboy's right hand is the key to triggering the Apocalypse. Hellboy must keep the hand lest someone else retrieve it and use it. (The Right Hand of Doom, DHP Annual 1999, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1999, Druggan Hill, England/Lockmaben, Scotland: Igor Bromhead releases Ualac, a minor demon trapped in a box by St. Dunstan. Ualac tricks Bromhead into summoning the Crown of Apocalypse, which sits invisibly on Hellboy's head. Ualac attempts to claim Hellboy's right hand, but Hellboy is spurred into action by a vision of the King of the Daoine Sidh and his two attendants, who reveal that Hellboy's name no longer binds him now that the Crown has been taken from him. Bromhead prays to Astaroth for deliverance, but winds up being turned into a lizard. Ualac, too, is ensnared by Astaroth, who takes Hellboy's crown down to Hell where it waits for Hellboy to retrieve it. (Box Full of Evil, Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1 & 2, reprinted in: Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

2001, Austria: The Conqueror Worm affair. Nazis summon a space ghost, which possesses the body of one of their top scientists and emerges as a gargantuan worm. Hellboy (with the help of Roger) defeats it but decides to leave the B.P.R.D. The final adventure of Lobster Johnson. (The Conqueror Worm, Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm #1-4, reprinted in Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm)

2004, Africa: Hellboy seeks advice from an African witch-doctor, and is told to dive to the bottom of the sea. He is captured by the Bog Roosh, who means to prevent the Apocalypse by dismembering him and hiding the Right Hand of Doom, but Hellboy manages to escape with a mermaid's help. (The Third Wish, Hellboy: The Third Wish #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: Strange Places TPB)

2006, Two years later, Hellboy washes up on an unknown island. He accidentally resurrects an ancient mystic, learns the secret history of the universe, and faces the monstrous Urgo Hem. Hellboy then sets sail for England as the Daoine Sidh watch on. (The Island, Hellboy: The Island #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: Strange Places TPB)

This list is missing two stories that I can think of, They That Go Down To The Sea In Ships that came out in a convention book this summer and the In The Chapel of Moloch that came out this week.

Another couple of books that came to mind as missing from the chronology were his first appearances, San Diego Comicon Comics #2 and Next Men #21.

(shrug)

As I recall, JB's Next Men 21 is an out of continuity appearance, as a character who worked at a comic book company had gained the power to alter reality and make fictional characters come alive. One of the Next Men and a friend encounter Hellboy in a sewer - recognizing him as a comic book character they love -- and he helps them escape to the surface.

Another couple of books that came to mind as missing from the chronology were his first appearances, San Diego Comicon Comics #2 and Next Men #21.

(shrug)

As I recall, JB's Next Men 21 is an out of continuity appearance, as a character who worked at a comic book company had gained the power to alter reality and make fictional characters come alive. One of the Next Men and a friend encounter Hellboy in a sewer - recognizing him as a comic book character they love -- and he helps them escape to the surface.

I'll trust your memory on this one, it's been far too long since I've read it to comment accurately.

I recently noticed the B.P.R.D. books are numbered inside in the indicia section if I recall correctly. Therefore, it's one "on-going" series. (I hope that helps)

Great stuff!!! I LOVE that series.

Sadly, I'm getting ready to sell my back issues to finance some big books I just purchased here.... Such is life. Maybe there'll be a GIANT ABSOLUTE one day.

Love BPRD. Much more so than Hellboy.

Definitely give it a shot.

There was also an Abe Sapien mini (might have been two, but I'm tired) recently. Honestly, my least favorite BPRD book in the whole run.

Personally, I'd read it the way they were released. It flows perfectly fine that way. Otherwise, it might ruin revelations that occur during the normal progression.

Pat

I agree about the Abe Sapien mini, and the Lobster Johnson mini is just okay as well.

Anyone getting into Hellboy, I'd just recommend getting the trades --- they are nicely designated with numbers on the spine by Dark Horse (which is why I recommend one starts with Vol.1: Seed of Destruction) so you know which order to read them in --- ditto for BPRD. Read Hellboy 1-7 (and Weird Tales Vol. 1-2) then start on BPRD Vol. 1 and move thru. I think Volume 9 is out this week or next.

I like 'em all, but I think BPRD is a more satisfying read, and I think the characters are a little more interesting. Hellboy can be a little too stagnant.

Medicar's chronology is missing the recent Richard Corben-drawn mini, I believe. I can't recall the name, but I think it took place in 1957. It was pretty good. And last week's 'In the Chapel of Moloch' took place in 1992.

The large, clothbound editions are beautiful and well worth it, IMHO, only slightly more expensive than buying the individual trades they contain.

Medicar's chronology is missing the recent Richard Corben-drawn mini, I believe. I can't recall the name, but I think it took place in 1957. It was pretty good. And last week's 'In the Chapel of Moloch' took place in 1992.

The large, clothbound editions are beautiful and well worth it, IMHO, only slightly more expensive than buying the individual trades they contain.

Corben has done a pair of them, the first was the "Makoma" book, and now "the Crooked Man." I thought both were in there, but I'm not seeing "Crooked Man" now......

(shrug)

UPDATED 11/05/2008

The Crooked Man was added, I'm still waiting to read "In The Chapel of Moloch" and "They That Go...." but will add them soon.

I've triend to coordinate stories (bold and underlined) with where they were published (bold and italic).

1944, Scotland: Hellboy is 'born'.

1947, New Mexico: Hellboy becomes estranged from the denizens of Hell. (Pancakes, Dark Horse Presents Annual 1999, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

Late 1947, New Mexico: Hellboy's dog, Max, ingests some alien blood and mutates into an alien creature. (Hellboy Weird Tales #2)

1952, Hellboy is granted honorary human status by the UN and becomes a field agent for the B.P.R.D.

1954, England: Hellboy is asked by the Osiris Club to slay the Saint Leonard Worm. Hellboy is successful, but the mission was really a cover for the Club to discern Hellboy's true allegiances. In the end, they remain undecided, although the lilies that grew from his blood spatters indicate that Hellboy would not confine himself to his destiny. Bruttenholm's complicity in this test is unknown. (The Nature of the Beast, DHP #151 reprinted in Hellboy: TheRight Hand of Doom TPB)

1956, Norway: Bruttenholm sends Hellboy to help Professor Edmond Aickman (who worked with Bruttenholm in Burma and Chengdu) with the King Vold myth. Aickman is only interested in the potential reward, and maneuvers Hellboy into completing Vold's tasks for him. (King Vold, Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1957, India: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1958, Virginia: Hellboy must help save a man's soul from a being known as 'The Crooked Man'. (The Crooked Man)

1958, Malaysia: Hellboy is sent to investigate a series of killings. Hellboy is tricked by the person responsible, but he manages to survive the encounter. (The Penanggalan, Hellboy Premiere Edition)

1959, Ireland: To retrieve a baby, Hellboy must bear a corpse to his final resting place. The King of the Daoine Sidh oversees the matter personally. This is the first (but not the last time) he will take a personal interest in Hellboy. (The Corpse, Hellboy: The Corpse and the Iron Shoes, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1959, New Guinea: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1959, Macapa: Hellboy stops Herman von Klempt's experiments, but the severed head survives.

1961, Ireland: Hellboy ensnares the Iron Shoes demon and hands his shoes over to Father Mike. (Iron Shoes, Hellboy: The Corpse and The Iron Shoes, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1961, Saybrook, Connecticut: Hellboy works with Father Edward Kelly on an unnamed mission.

1964, Bereznik, Russia: Hellboy tracks down the Baba Yaga, and in the ensuing encounter shoots out her left eye. (Baba Yaga, Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1964, India: Hellboy pilots a haunted fighter jet from World War II. (Hellboy:Weird Tales #7)

1967, Kyoto, Japan: Hellboy travels to Japan, and handles a case involving floating heads called nuke-kubi. (Heads, Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom)

1967, Shuzenji, Japan: Hellboy is called to a natural spa with supposed healing power and ends up fighting a monster inhabiting the bath. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #2)

1969, Lockmaben, Scotland: Bruttenholm and Hellboy visit the castle which would later be purchased by Count Guarino. The Guarinos would turn out to be Satanists.

1979, Portland, Oregon: Mister Tod, a physical medium (much like Johann Kraus) whom Hellboy had met several years earlier, unwittingly allows a space-borne monster to gain form using his body's ectoplasm. Hellboy manages to repulse the entity, but Mister Tod is destroyed in the process. This being was much like the entities in space that The Nazis and Herman von Klempt were trying to contact in Conqueror Worm. (Goodbye Mister Tod, Gary Gianni's The Monstermen, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1979, Guatemala: Professor Bruttenholm sends Hellboy to stop a madman from using an ancient artfiact, the Xul Chalak. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #5)

1982, Yorkshire, England: Hellboy, after over seven years of searching, tracks down the body of the vampire Countess Ilona Kakosky. She attempts to trick him with an illusion, but he kills her. (The Varcolac, Dark Horse Extra #14-19, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB, The Art of Hellboy)

1982, India: Hellboy works on a werewolf case.

1989, England: Hellboy investigates the disappearance of Ann Heath, who was lured underground by a demon. (A Christmas Underground, Hellboy Christmas Special, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1990, Anonta, Ontario: Hellboy and Abe capture a wendigo in Canada. (B.P.R.D.:The Universal Machine #1-5, reprinted in B.P.R.D.:The Universal Machine TPB)

1991, Paris, France: The B.P.R.D. suspects the cast of the Grand Guignol has murdering patrons. Hellboy is sent to confront them and becomes part of the show. (Hellboy: Weird Tales #6)

1992, Lake Okanagan, British Columbia: Hellboy and Abe search for the Ogopogo Monster. Abe is injured.

1993, New York, New York, Africa: Hellboy is invited to the New York Explorer's Club, where a recently acquired mummy "speaks" with him. Although the conversation appears to take place invisibly and in a matter of seconds from the outside, the mummy tells him the tale of Makoma, born at the beginning of the world and wandering it to its end. While the significance of this is unknown, Makoma appears until the end to be Hellboy, both in looks and personality. The mummy collapses after relating the tale, and Hellboy is immediately ejected and banned from the Explorer's Club. (Makoma, Hellboy: Makoma, or, A Tale Told by a Mummy in the New York City Explorers' Club on August 16, 1993

1994, Markleuthen, Germany: Hellboy, Abe and Liz are sent to investigate reports of children being abducted by a ghostly circus. (Hellboy Weird Tales #1)

1994, The Cavendish Hall affair. (Seed of Destruction, Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #1-4, reprinted in Hellboy: Seed of Destruction TPB)

1994, Griart, the Balkans: Hellboy and Kate visit a town decimated by werewolves. Father Kelly had been there before them to investigate, but he was murdered along with the rest of the town. (The Wolves of St. August. DHP #88-91, reprinted in Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August TPB (first edition), Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1995, Scotland: Hellboy returns to the ruined church where he appeared in the world, and has a dream-vision of his origin: His mother, as a young woman, had cavorted with a demon, and on Walpurgisnacht (a night of great significance to witches) conceived Hellboy as a result. Hellboy lay dormant within her, until the demon returned at the end of the woman's life to claim her and his unborn son. During this dream, Hellboy believes that the demon turned to acknowledge him. (The Chained Coffin, DHP #100-102, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others)

1997, Romania: The Giurescu affair. (Almost Colossus, Hellboy: Almost Colossus #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Other TPB, and Wake the Devil, Hellboy: Wake The Devil #1-5, reprinted in Hellboy: Wake The Devil TPB)

1998, Lizarza, Spain: Hellboy meets up with Adrian Frost, the son of Malcolm Frost. Hellboy relates his life story to Frost, and the two realize that Hellboy's right hand is the key to triggering the Apocalypse. Hellboy must keep the hand lest someone else retrieve it and use it. (The Right Hand of Doom, DHP Annual 1999, reprinted in Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

1999, Druggan Hill, England/Lockmaben, Scotland: Igor Bromhead releases Ualac, a minor demon trapped in a box by St. Dunstan. Ualac tricks Bromhead into summoning the Crown of Apocalypse, which sits invisibly on Hellboy's head. Ualac attempts to claim Hellboy's right hand, but Hellboy is spurred into action by a vision of the King of the Daoine Sidh and his two attendants, who reveal that Hellboy's name no longer binds him now that the Crown has been taken from him. Bromhead prays to Astaroth for deliverance, but winds up being turned into a lizard. Ualac, too, is ensnared by Astaroth, who takes Hellboy's crown down to Hell where it waits for Hellboy to retrieve it. (Box Full of Evil, Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1 & 2, reprinted in: Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom TPB)

2001, Austria: The Conqueror Worm affair. Nazis summon a space ghost, which possesses the body of one of their top scientists and emerges as a gargantuan worm. Hellboy (with the help of Roger) defeats it but decides to leave the B.P.R.D. The final adventure of Lobster Johnson. (The Conqueror Worm, Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm #1-4, reprinted in Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm)

2004, Africa: Hellboy seeks advice from an African witch-doctor, and is told to dive to the bottom of the sea. He is captured by the Bog Roosh, who means to prevent the Apocalypse by dismembering him and hiding the Right Hand of Doom, but Hellboy manages to escape with a mermaid's help. (The Third Wish, Hellboy: The Third Wish #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: Strange Places TPB)

2006, Two years later, Hellboy washes up on an unknown island. He accidentally resurrects an ancient mystic, learns the secret history of the universe, and faces the monstrous Urgo Hem. Hellboy then sets sail for England as the Daoine Sidh watch on. (The Island, Hellboy: The Island #1 & 2, reprinted in Hellboy: Strange Places TPB)

This list is missing two stories that I can think of, They That Go Down To The Sea In Ships that came out in a convention book this summer and the In The Chapel of Moloch that came out this week.