• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #57- to slab or not to slab?

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone-

I just wanted to throw out a question to all the experts here, and get your opinions on this subject. Is an Avengers #57 (first Vision) something I should bother slabbing, or would it be worth about the same raw? Sorry I don't have a scan immediately available, but for argument's sake, let's just say it was a 8.0 or an 8.5 (I'll inspect it in much more detail when I have a chance later, but it is a really nice looking book, without any big defects, and OW pages. Thanks for any feedback.

Not to slab (unless a closer inspection reveals a 9.2 or better). The book only guides at around $60 in VF, slabbing would cost you $25+, and there's very little bump in price for VF-ish copies like this.

I think if it has the off chance of getting a 9.0, you should slab it. I wouldn't send the book by itself, but it might be worth $25 to take a chance it'll get a higher grade. If it's only going to grade a VF though, it's not worth it.

If you plan on keeping the book for yourself, you might slab it. If you plan on selling you might make some money from it, considering that is a key issue. This is my copy if you want to compare, it's a 9.4.

avengers57f.jpg

Thanks a lot Deathlok. That will definitely give me a frame of reference when I examine mine more closely. Does CGC deduct for a miswrap like that? It's not bad, but it's noticeable, so I was just curious. Also, above the Avengers logo, is that line or scratch on the cover of the book or the holder? And, what color are your pages?

I think my copy is comparable to yours. The only defect I can remember seeing on mine is something right by Hawkeye's head by the spine, not a tear, but just kind of rough looking in a tiny spot. I'll have to check my corners again on the book. Yours look nice and sharp.

Actually I did one better for you. I just called CGC to get the grader's notes. They said the only note is that there are some "dings" on the back cover on the top. Which when I look at the back cover I don't see much in that regard, although it does look like the top cover is bent slightly due to an overwrap. If this is the case, if that is corrected it might grade higher.

Any marks you see on the front are due to the case being scratched or something else.

The miswrap is a hot topic around here. Many purists believe it should taken into account. I really don't know how much CGC looks at a miswrap in the overall grade.

Thanks. I really appreciate all your info on this! thumbsup2.gif

Certain books just seem to get brought up here a lot, and I was just wondering what the demand was for old Avengers issues in general. ( I have a few other real nice looking SA Avengers issues). The price guide can't tell you everything, of course.

Whenever there's discussion about silver keys, I never see this book brought up either. To, me it's always been a major issue, but is this just considered a minor key to everyone else?

Umm... I don't think Avengers will ever be as popular as other titles, only because they never really had a stable roster. They never really had a unique popular character. Yeah they had Thor, Captain America and Iron Man. All three started in their own titles and had already garnered popularity. Their villains, although great for them, never really captured the attention of the readers. Of course there is a correlation between the character and villains popularity.

Yeah, you're definitely right about them not having a real arch-nemesis to call their own, like a Magneto, Dr. Doom, etc. Maybe you could make a case for Ultron being a main villain, but obviously, that doesn't inspire the same leve of awe.

The revolving door membership definitely didn't help either. The Vision is probably one of the only Avengers to emerge from that particular book (maybe the only one, I'm not sure), and be with the group for most of his history.

So, do you think the Vision himself has ever been more than a B-level character?

They tried pushing the Vision into th mainstream with the "Vision and the Scarlet Witch" series in the early 80's, but I think I was the only one who read the thing. It was a crossover with the first few issues of the West Coast Avengers. I agree, the rotating door and lack of a decent rogues gallery hurt the Avenger titles. The concept itself, though, is strong, and it has a decent core base of fans. This is a title that I think could have a shot at a boost in popularity if they ever made a strong movie or the title were to get hot with a few new characters, much like the X-Men when GS1 and 94 came out.

I read that 1st Vision & Scarlet Witch limited series when it came out, and actually, just re-read it recently, and still thought it was a good read. thumbsup2.gif

For an Avengers/Vision fan like me, the Avengers #57 is important, and would probably be the last thing I would sell from my collection anyway cloud9.gif