• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: League of Extraordinary #5 Recalled Marvel Douche!

15 posts in this topic

yeah, correction Marvel person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. since im new what defects are knocking this down? i was thinking 9.6.

Looks pretty sharp to me . . . 9.6 :grin:

Due to recent high prices I have seen on HG copies of the recall, I'd recommend slabbing this book. :)

Issue #5 of Volume One contained an authentic (not fake as suggested elsewhere) advertisement for a Marvel-brand person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed from the early part of the 20th century.

The original "Marvel" advert

This ad caused DC Comics executive Paul Levitz to order the entire print run destroyed over concerns that this could lead to litigation with their main rival (Marvel Comics). None of the recalled comics were ever distributed in the US; however, a small batch had been shipped to the UK and escaped the destruction. With only 100-200 thought to exist this makes it more than 10 times rarer than the Elseworlds 80-Page Giant that Paul Levitz also recalled, hence is probably the rarest modern comic book in existence.

In Top 10, Moore creates a "Miracle person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed Recall" headline on a newspaper, which is not only a reference to the furor, but is also a reference to when Marvel Comics had previously forced Marvelman, which was written by Alan Moore, to change its name to Miracleman.

from wiki

If CGC graded I would say 9.6. Looks pretty sharp to me - corner blunting is very very minor and CGC will generally overlook the colour breaks down the spine as this seems to be a result of the production process. Might even make a 9.8 (I had one like this and was ecstatic when it came back from FL with 9.8 on it, however, I also own the 2.5 in the census!).

Get it graded they are very very rare.

Good luck

Neeidea

PS: Here are some interesting pics:

0124379001R.jpg

0124379001O.jpg