• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is time... (selling my collection)

57 posts in this topic

do what I do/did...once the kid is born, put them to work...money problem solved lol

folks wonder why I have 4 kids...4 more income streams :cloud9:

doh!
they will make even more money once they get out of diapers, so hang tough!

lol Sounds like a solid plan.

So the time has come. I have discussed this a few times over the past 6 months or so. I spent awhile putting together complete runs, story lines, etc.. And just dont ahve the room anymore (baby on the way). Now this does not mean I am done collecting, I have just tightened up the belt on my focus. I sell books at shows, and was wondering how would anyone else go about this... Here is the equation.

17 long boxes. Current show stock SA-MA.

16 or so long boxes is my collection, + 2 short boxes.

3 long boxes is keeper stuff. (Uncanny X-Men run, Batmans, GA books,Slabs, and HG Keys).

What would be the most logical way to move this out? I have probably 4 long boxes of ASM and Avengers. And large chunks of many other series, and a lot of moderns. If I process directly to show stock, overhead goes up by 100% as I will have to get another 8FT table space for shows. Should I just put the modern runs into sets and "dump" them.

Do I just process 1 to 2 titles per month and keep offering my forum "blowout sales" which do well, but realise around 25% of OSPG value.

My number one priority is raising enough cash to start slabbing large runs of books. So I am thinking if I raise 1K I can get to work on this as alot of stuff has 9.8 potential, and some SA and BA stuff that is rather HG also.

I know it is alot. But I have alot on my mind and need to focus on some sort of plan to get started. HELP!!

1st , I totally agree w/ both of Beyonder's posts .

Recently , I thought I might need to raise some $$ by selling books . After quite a bit of consideration , I narrowed it down to going thru all my books and picking out which were the most valuable . If not worth $20 bucks , they didn't make the cut , due to time , energy , scanning , descriptions , postage , etc. I started w/ keys and sellable/popular books here . IE , ASM's sell here . DD , for example doesn't sell as well . (thumbs u

I ended up w/ approx. 100 books . 25 or so worth $3 -600 dollars , 25 worth approx. $200 - $300 , 25 worth approx. $100 - $200 , and 25 worth $20 - $100 .

I was going to knock 25% off guide and try to move them ..

BTW , I held back possibly 20 - 30 high grade books that may become candidate's for slabbing at a later date .

I'm not going to hold back this: :makepoint:

:makepoint::makepoint:

do what I do/did...once the kid is born, put them to work...money problem solved lol

doh!

I agree. I have 4 kids, money is just streaming in.

:makepoint:

doh!

and streaming out, with every flush of the toilet (I can't believe how much TP we buy)

ok, pat, sorry for the :signofftopic:

doh!

and streaming out, with every flush of the toilet (I can't believe how much TP we buy)

Got post count?

So, child labor is OK as long as it's done in your own household?

hm

On a serious note, I like beyonder's idea of discounting the $15-20 books to $10.

Do a two week long sales thread, let board members build a big pile of books, and you can raise the scratch for the "value tier submission" in no time.

doh!

Got post count?

if I had a post for every time the toilet flushed in my house, greggy would be bowing to me lol

Back to the original post.

First, good luck with moving your collection. I am almost at the same point. I have just started to sell it off. My reason may be different than yours. I am moving mine slowly. Here are a couple of trends I have observed.

1. If it isn't slabbed, it is real hard to sell near guide via the internet regardless of the venue.

2. CLINK is the best place to move CGC stuff if listed at a reasonable price. The 10% charge for selling there is probably not too far off Ebay cost.

3. While I see a lot of people selling through the forums, it seems most people expect a huge discount over OS even. Not the best place to move stuff if you want to get the most for an item. (There are exceptions of course)

If I were you, I would try to move the stuff you don't plan to CGC through a few conventions. If you seperate the books out into catagories, say $1, $2.50, $5, $10. Have the in alphabetical order and then towards the end of the show knock another 25% off, I think you can move them. For the CGC stuff, list it on CLINK at a reasonable price. You can try the board first since it doesn't cost anything but time. I strongly recommend going through every bigger ticket item you plan to sell, write down what you paid and the minimum you would take for it and come up with your asking price based on that. That way you have everything in front of you when the offers come in.

I'd say do like THE_BEYONDER suggested and grab that long box of ASMs...you say you have Bronze. Blow those out and announce there aren't any HG SA ones and that way Grinder's out of the mix. :whistle: By the way, what are your grade ranges on your Bronze Spideys?

Whatever you decide, best wishes. :wishluck:

I'd say do like THE_BEYONDER suggested and grab that long box of ASMs...you say you have Bronze. Blow those out and announce there aren't any HG SA ones and that way Grinder's out of the mix. :whistle: By the way, what are your grade ranges on your Bronze Spideys?

I am looking to move things here and at shows. Alot of stuff I can discount well and some forum members will enjoy the books. All of my slabs are staying with me right now, as they all fit somewhere in my current focus.

After the books are slabbed though it will be ebay and C-Link as I hear the best things about this site compared to the others.

The spideys I believe are all VF and up. I was building a run from 100-current and did ALOT of damage.

Thanks man! (worship)

And the Off Topic was a joke if anyone didnt know this. Alot of the posters in this thread are some of my favorite people on the boards. Joking around with you guys always rules.

But dont LOWBALL my books!! :sumo:

Thanks man! (worship)

And the Off Topic was a joke if anyone didnt know this. Alot of the posters in this thread are some of my favorite people on the boards. Joking around with you guys always rules.

But dont LOWBALL my books!! :sumo:

A hundred bucks shipped for your BA Spideys? :shrug: