• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Cat splash (1944) by Al Gabriele on eBay

6 posts in this topic

With this kind of rarity, you'd think $1499.00 would be within reason. Still, I don't think the bids are gonna flood in. There's not that many Al Gabriele/Black Cat collectors, as far as I can tell.

Pricing for comic OA seems to be a fan-driven hobby as much as anything else. It's driven more by personal like...of a series, of an artist...than by rarity. For example: Fans of the Walking Dead will bid big money for the right piece. (Substitute Preacher, Sandman, etc.) Offer them a sterling page from a series they don't know, by an artist they don't care about...and they'll hold onto their coin purse.

I'm with 'em. Maybe others will disagree but I think it's part of the "buy what you love" experience.

By the way, this shouldn't be in the Original Art Forum. It belongs in the Comic Art Marketplace.

I enjoy the horror black cat covers much more. Was this black cat character part of those issues as well or did they drop her from the title?

she appeared on the cover of the first Black Cat Mystery issue, but not on the interior... she came back later on, post-code...

The horror Black Cat Mystery issues were Harvey's response to the horror craze of the day... Superheros were out of favor, so Linda Turner and her glamorous crime-fighting days were over. They kept "Black Cat" in the title, but that was all.