• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP!! JEFF SMITH SIGNING DEC 6th!!! I NEED A WITNESS!!

27 posts in this topic

i dont think i've ever felt as desperate for a witness as i do right now :( I really hope some witness can make this event...i'm pretty sure i'm going to make the long drive down (its about 8 hours for me)...

it would break my little heart if i had Jeff Smith sitting in front of me, and no witnesses were present to turn my books into beautiful yellow labeled slabs :(

Supapimp is the only person that I know of that lives in the Bay Area and is/was

a Signature Series Witness, try sending him a PM.

:gossip: Flying Colors Comics is my LCS and Joe is a great guy.

Also look at my post in Comic Events.

I've heard that CGC can make you a single-event witness or something. Maybe you can do that?

Sometimes, at supervised events (that is CGC is present) this is allowed as we can keep an eye on things. But at an event like this where no one from CGC is present? No.

Sorry, but no one seems to be stepping forward on this one. Where's Fantastic Comics / Chris Williamson? He's in this part of the country.

I wanted to give you all an update on the Jeff Smith signing. I've been in e-mail discussions with Joe Field, the LCS owner who is hosting the signing, which he donated almost $5,000 to get. Since I can sense at least 30 books are ready to be signed/graded, I didn't want to take in all these books, show up at Joe's store, and have to choose 2 or 3 total that'll get signed. We are working out a deal to guarantee that all these books can get signed and Joe's store can benefit as well.

I have no final numbers or final agreement yet, but we are working on it. The only downside to this is that I will most likely have to charge more than $32 per book. Since the Gene Colan signing is the same day (I am praying NOT the same time) in the same area, I will try to keep my charge for Jeff Smith as low and reasonable as possible. If and when I work out an arrangement with Joe, I will attend this signing and the Gene Colan signing, and make everyone's dream come true... Well, except IDW, who will be dumping comic books in my backyard in San Diego without me there to buy them and get them signed by IDW talent... :)

Joel

My worst fear has come true... I was going to fly up to this event, not drive, but yeah, fingerprint.ink, I may need to take you up on that deal and drive so we can have 2 witnesses at 2 stores.

If Jeff Smith will be at the store from, say, 12 to 4, then I can do the Colan signing first, and then race over to Concord to get Jeff Smith.

Ugh! Let me talk to Lee and when I hear back from Joe Field at Flying Colors, we'll figure out a plan.

Joel

The distance between the two stores is about 54 miles. You're lucky that you won't have to take 880 N all the way though as that is notoriously slow. As it is, it'll take at least an hour of driving to get between the two stores. Good luck! (thumbs u

View Larger Map

out of curiousity, why colan first? do you have more books to be signed by colan?

He's driving from Southern California possibly... It makes more sense to do the Mountain View location first doesn't it? Then head up to Concord, CA and then back down. That's the least amount of mileage and saves on gas. (Assuming he's dropping off witnesses.)

Actually, several reasons why Colan would come first. Jeff Smith's signing should last longer, and one of the main goals of the Smith signing (for the store owner) is to sell a lot of store inventory Trade Paperbacks, which means less of a need for a Signature Series witness throughout the signing. Colan's signing, on the other hand, could also raise money for Gene's medical fund and for the HERO Initiative, of which I am a volunteer, so being there for all of Colan's signing adds some extra value. Since I am working out deals with both stores, I would only arrive late to the Smith signing if I knew I was going to be taken care of.

Details are still being hashed out. A 2nd witness may be coming in so I can focus on 1 location only. When I know more, I will let you all know.

Joel

P.S. I would probably be flying instead of driving, but yes, if I flew into San Jose, it would be quicker and easier to stop in Mtn. View first, then head to Concord. If I flew into Oakland, Concord would probably come first.