• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did having kids change your collecting/reading?

88 posts in this topic

My point was that doing research or getting an opinion about a commodity is one thing, if you don't like it you can get rid of it and move on.

Growing up in my family and how we grew up made me realize when I got married I wanted children. You can't base another persons opinion on a life changing situation like having a child for the simple reason you are not them.

This is something that you(as a couple) want or do not want regardless of what others opinions are.

And for the record I never said to the OP he would not make a great parent, I just questioned the way he is going about his thought process.

Agreed on all points.

I think research is the wrong way of phrasing it, especially when what I hear probably has little impact on the decision in the first place. I'm just in a spot I've never been before. I mean, we're talking about having a child. That's a scary position to be in. Sure, those who have families already, it might be easy to forget what that felt like, but for me, it's like, here's this huge decision just right over the horizon.

But now that this conversation has completely steered away from comics and the families who read/buy them together, the more crazy I feel for discussing this with my online comic buddies. :screwy: I mean, a month ago I was nervous about telling people I liked Bronze, damsel in distress covers, and now I'm talking about children. :insane:

I'm sure we'd be great parents, I really do. But right now, for the first time in my life, I'm happy in all ways: health, security, new home, good job, friends, money to buy/read/travel. Everything's clicking on all cylinders. Part of me/us doesn't want to change that because it feels so nice.

There is nothing wrong with thinking something through before jumping in with both feet.

Having children changes who you are and how you see the world forever. They look at you and your heart melts and breaks at the same time. You wonder what you did to deserve this unconditional love and how you will ever earn it.

My son loves comics, my daughter loves reading and enjoys comics BUT they sleep on them, step on them, colour in them etc. SO any valuable books put them away, far away for they will get ruined.

If you, your wife, your marriage and your financial position are STRONG - it is the perfect time to start a family (if there is such a thing) for having children demands no less !

:cloud9:

I'm just in a spot I've never been before. I mean, we're talking about having a child. That's a scary position to be in. Sure, those who have families already, it might be easy to forget what that felt like, but for me, it's like, here's this huge decision just right over the horizon.

I've just gone through this. My son is 5 weeks old. It is a major decision. And it requires a lot more time and energy than you can realize (and that's just the preparation before the kid comes!). But never having a child is inconceivable to me.

My wife and son are more important that anything. They are the priority and that's the way it should be. Comics are just a fun pasttime for my ever-shrinking free time.

first off don't listen to people that say you need to be ready. i've got news for you. you will never be ready.

Sorry, but that's BS - if I would have had kids even a few years before when I did, my marriage likely would have ended badly - you absolutely positively NEED to be ready to accept the responsibility for a child, or get ready to be a divorce statistic.

first off don't listen to people that say you need to be ready. i've got news for you. you will never be ready.

Sorry, but that's BS - if I would have had kids even a few years before when I did, my marriage likely would have ended badly - you absolutely positively NEED to be ready to accept the responsibility for a child, or get ready to be a statistic.

eventhough i thought i was ready i wasn't. neither was my wife.

my marriage was on the brink for a few years after we had our son. but we never gave up. he is now 6 and things couldn't be better.

i still say you can never truly be ready.

and I just want to add that even thru all the disagreements in this thread- all the differing perspectives- that everyone is right.

yes, this is one of those times.

Take it all in.

Here’s some data for your research.

My wife and I have four children, 3 boys and 1 girl. Their ages range from 13 to 27.

I had only a limited knowledge of what a parent and father really meant when we had our first child.

I have learned more about myself, spouse, family, friends, neighbors and community than I ever could have imagined. I am still learning.

Clearly, your life will never be the same. For many folks that is a good thing, it has been for me.

As far as comics, I'm not sure if it was the kids as much as just finding myself involved in such a wonderful variety of other adventures that has tempered my interest over the last couple of decades or so.

I can say, with 100% conviction, that NOTHING is better than having children... no matter the trials and tribulations, or the sacrifices etc... NOTHING equals it!

The above statement says it all.

Just store your comics in a safe place, away from curious hands and you'll be fine.

I agree with most people here on that kids will change your life forever. I love mine more than anything. Even when they went got into my collection and shredded things. Your collecting habits will change unless you are rich. Mainly because no matter how much you love them kids can be expensive. That just comes with the territory, but eventually you'll be able to collect the way you used to. Say after around 16 years or so. lol

Carol and I waited for awhile...

But I have to agree there's nothing like like it.

It's hard to explain, but once you see your kid come into this world

everything else takes a back seat to them.

I had a very, very hard upbringing and I felt that it was my duty put as much as I could into

parenting and raise a child in a solid home without alcoholism, violence, and abuse.

Many times I wished I had a Dad that wasn't an S.O.B. and now I am going way beyond

to the best Dad ever.

Everyday is a new challenge and I look forward to it.

Its funny growing up as a kid puts things in perspective. Sorry to hear about your Dad but mine was my role model. He brought a family into a new country not knowing the language, no education beyond second grade and $200 dollars in his pocket and never looked back.

Its funny growing up as a kid puts things in perspective. Sorry to hear about your Dad but mine was my role model. He brought a family into a new country not knowing the language, no education beyond second grade and $200 dollars in his pocket and never looked back.

:foryou::hi:

As someone who is an expectant parent (and for those of you wondering, my wife's ER visit was a miscarriage scare, but she is fine), I am thrilled at the prospect of children. I really have no idea just how much things will change, but I know they will change dramatically. There are times when I think about how much money I'd have if I didn't earn a cent over my base salary and my wife continued to work -- we could afford many, many luxuries in life. On the other hand, I'm not sure any of those material goods and financial comforts would equal the joys of raising and having children.

I think it's hard to give up the focus on yourself. Until you have children, your life is primarily about what's best for you, when you have children, it becomes about what's best for them.