• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Pictorial Romance 18 unsure about spine chew?

8 posts in this topic

This one is a little weird..so not quite sure what to grade it at. Any and all feedback appreciated.

pr18a.jpg

pr18b.jpg

pr18c.jpg

Front cover is really sharp.

Check out back cover, paper missing along the

top edge, and along the spine near the bottom.

Check out spine. You can see where

it's been chewed, probably by silverfish. Where there is paper

missing, it's been chewed right down to the glue level. Also

notice how, in the word "Pictorial", the silverfish apparently

liked the white ink better than the red ink, and for the most part,

they didn't even touch the red letters.

The spine is still really solid does not effect the "holding together" of the comic.

So, what you would grade this at?

I wonder if this book should be given a "Qualified" grade? Here is CGC's own definition of the Qualified grade; why and when it is given:

A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear." Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as "Name Written on Cover."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the case of this book, the issue then becomes this: Can the spine and back cover damage be simply noted, or is it severe enough that it must be incorporated into an overall, Universal grade?

Does anyone have enough experience with CGC's Qualified grading standards to be able to tackle this question?

That's funny -- I sold a 128-pager from the 1940s with virtually identical silverfish damage on the spine. (I know just what you mean about the pattern where they avoided certain colors of ink too -- very weird but I've seen it before.)

I called my book a 3.0 with the spine damage, but this copy is nicer overall. I'd nudge this one to 3.5 since the damage is hard to see and the front is so sharp. Nice copy!