• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Silver Age Riddler - To Slab Or Not To Slab?

16 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Batman #171 (from a VERY well respected buyer - Hey Nick!), a really nice copy of the 1st Silver Age Riddler appearance.

I got in touch with a UK based dealer about submitting the book along with a Golden Age Batman for grading. Now I'm not questioning anybody here (the seller or the dealer), and I'm very happy with the book. But he thinks it may have been cropped, obviously resulting in the book only getting a Qualified grade.

To be honest, that wouldn't really bother me, but I just wondered if some of you guys with much more experience than me in Silver Age comics could cast your eye over this scan and see what you think?

Regardless of whether the book is cropped or not, it's still going to be slabbed!

Batman1712ndAppearanceOfTheRiddler.jpg

Hi TFL and thanks for the reply.

I did mean trimmed yes, and I thought for a moment any form of restoration resulted in a Qualified grade, I forgot about the PLOD momentarily!

It doesn't look to me like it's been trimmed and I appreciate it's virtually impossible to tell from a scan, but other people's opinions are always much appreciated.

I recently bought a Batman #171 (from a VERY well respected buyer - Hey Nick!), a really nice copy of the 1st Silver Age Riddler appearance.

I got in touch with a UK based dealer about submitting the book along with a Golden Age Batman for grading. Now I'm not questioning anybody here (the seller or the dealer), and I'm very happy with the book. But he thinks it may have been cropped, obviously resulting in the book only getting a Qualified grade.

To be honest, that wouldn't really bother me, but I just wondered if some of you guys with much more experience than me in Silver Age comics could cast your eye over this scan and see what you think?

Regardless of whether the book is cropped or not, it's still going to be slabbed!

Gav, it's very unlikely that Nick would have missed it being trimmed, though anything is possible. You should ask Nick to check it over again. If he sold a book that unexpectedly turned out to be trimmed, he really would want to know so that he could set it right.

Like I said though, his record with spotting resto is impeccable.

Gav, it's very unlikely that Nick would have missed it being trimmed, though anything is possible. You should ask Nick to check it over again. If he sold a book that unexpectedly turned out to be trimmed, he really would want to know so that he could set it right.

I can't believe it took me months to notice this reply doh!

I never thought for a minute that Nick would have sold me a trimmed book without disclosing it - his descriptions of the condition of the books he's sold me have been first class.

Anyway, it's on it's way to CGC now so I can't wait to see what grade it comes back as. I was asking about the trimming then as I didn't have a clue about it and it had been mentioned by someone with a bit more experience than me. Now I don't think it's trimmed - I've looked at that book many times before deciding to send it, I'm not even bothered about it being mid-grade, I just love the cover and can't wait to see it in a slab.

I'll post the grade as soon as it comes back (thumbs u

I can't believe it took me months to notice this reply doh!

I never thought for a minute that Nick would have sold me a trimmed book without disclosing it - his descriptions of the condition of the books he's sold me have been first class.

Anyway, it's on it's way to CGC now so I can't wait to see what grade it comes back as. I was asking about the trimming then as I didn't have a clue about it and it had been mentioned by someone with a bit more experience than me. Now I don't think it's trimmed - I've looked at that book many times before deciding to send it, I'm not even bothered about it being mid-grade, I just love the cover and can't wait to see it in a slab.

I'll post the grade as soon as it comes back (thumbs u

If it comes back trimmed I'll buy it back from you at your cost.

It was my book.

Don't often read the Silver section so first time I've seen this.

If it comes back trimmed I'll buy it back from you at your cost.

It was my book.

Don't often read the Silver section so first time I've seen this.

Thanks for the post mate (thumbs u

I don't still think it may be trimmed. Like I said i was pretty new to SA books then so genuinely didn't have a clue.

Even so I wouldn't part with the book anyway, it's one of my favourite Batbooks that I own. That's the reason for slabbing it - I want to see it in a holder, submitting it has nothing to do with resto checks (thumbs u

Also meant to say it's really nice to know where the book came from (thumbs u

Sutton Coldfield

Well it managed to make the massive journey to Wolverhampton :grin: