• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not a liar...so trust me...the world is flat

25 posts in this topic

I don't get it. Why do so many people on this board seem to have problems with my auctions?

3 copies of Incredible Hulk 181 1st Wolverine Auction

"This auction is for THREE (thats right, Three!) high grade copies of The Incredible Hulk 181..."

"This is a tremendous investment opportunity! Between 1999 and 2002 the Incredible Hulk 181 rose in value over 240% in just three short years!! Assuming this trend were to continue, just ONE copy of this issue would be worth over $30,000 in just ten years!! (The first appearance of Spider-man came out 12 years earlier than Hulk 181 and is currently worth $48,000... its possible that the first appearance of Wolverine will be worth a small fortune in twelve years from now!)"

"Since then, several things have happened: 1) Today, according to the last Overstreet, a CGC NM Hulk 181 is worth $2,500." (Overstreet says this?????)

"What you choose to do with these issues will be up to you. However, if you're really smart you'll save them until each copy is worth over $40,000 like the first appearance of Spider-man currently is!"

"All three Hulk 181s up for sale in this auction are nice, high grade copies. I would prefer not to assign specific grades due to the high value involved, so I have included scans of each of the three copies so that you can see them for yourself!

"What you are getting is four high grade copies that combined are going to be a MUCH better investment than just one CGC 9.4 copy, for less than the price you might expect to pay for just one CGC NM copy!"

So, why do so many people on this board seem to have problems with your auctions? For me personally, it's the overhyped, smarmy sales tactics. But that's just my opinion. I didn't even realize someone had pointed out one of your other auctions previously or that you were a board member. I was just browsing eBay earlier and your Superman #1 auction stuck out like a sore thumb, which is why I posted it. confused-smiley-013.gif

The seller says "This book did have its staples replaced, which is allowable in VF grade according to Overstreet Grading Guide".

According to the latest Overstreet Grading Guide, any staple can be replaced on books up to FINE, but only vintage staples can be used on books from VERY FINE to NEAR MINT. (Mint books must have original staples).

The point Mr. 15_2_1.gif seller is that if you are going to be selling books of this caliber and I think a stated VF/NM Hulk #4 qualifies as a fairly significant book, then complete disclosure is vital, to maintain integrity. The problem is you don't really know what your selling and are being, whether by accident 15_2_1.gif or on purpose 10_1_112.gif vague. Now I believe, as do other members of these boards, that the vagueness leaves any potential customers at risk. We the collectors are exercising out right to free speech and assembly through the CGC boards, (thank you CGC 893applaud-thumb.gif) to inform and warn our fellow collectors about details of auctions that they should consider before entering any bids.

OR in other words, THAT HULK IS COMING BACK PLOD OR QUALIFIED and your Superman #1 auction is for an incomplete comic book - something you hint around but should clearly state, because it will become very apparent when the buyer gets it. In stead of all the glossy sales tactics in description you should say, this book still needs a cover and the following items to be complete, its a great buy for someone trying to restore an actual copy of Superman #1 I think that would be complete disclosure and then the buyer could make an informed decision.

The point Mr. seller is that if you are going to be selling books of this caliber and I think a stated VF/NM Hulk #4 qualifies as a fairly significant book, then complete disclosure is vital, to maintain integrity. The problem is you don't really know what your selling and are being, whether by accident or on purpose vague. Now I believe, as do other members of these boards, that the vagueness leaves any potential customers at risk. We the collectors are exercising out right to free speech and assembly through the CGC boards, (thank you CGC ) to inform and warn our fellow collectors about details of auctions that they should consider before entering any bids.

OR in other words, THAT HULK IS COMING BACK PLOD OR QUALIFIED and your Superman #1 auction is for an incomplete comic book - something you hint around but should clearly state, because it will become very apparent when the buyer gets it. In stead of all the glossy sales tactics in description you should say, this book still needs a cover and the following items to be complete, its a great buy for someone trying to restore an actual copy of Superman #1 I think that would be complete disclosure and then the buyer could make an informed decision.

shocked.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Eric

" You also say that "it wouldn't get a restored grade" which is not correct, I've seen replaced staples get either restored or qualified grades, I'm not sure how CGC decides which and what they base it on. Yes at least you said it had replaced staples, but at least in my opinion you should have left it at that without outright telling people it would not get a restored label. "

This is a very well made point. The only thing I would add, is that if CGC knows the book has had its staples replaced, it is going to get a purple label. They do not accept Overstreet's opinion. They don't always catch it. juggle.gif