• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD WORLD TEXAS Report!

185 posts in this topic

For the most part, all of the creators were pretty cool at the show. And I spent way more money that I should have, but had a blast. For anyone that didn't make it, the Max Brooks panel was really good.

The moment from this past weekend that will stick out the most in my mind is when one, not to be named, artist acted like a complete person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and told me he wouldn't sign my HC trade unless I bought $20 worth of product off his table. I was kind of hacked off about it, so I told him there were much better things at the show to spend a $20 on and walked off.

That's Suydam shame.

not to defend Suydam, if he is the one being referenced, and I certainly wasn't there- but I feel bad for guys like him. Does creator owned work as early as the 70's, has certainly put in his time, and until very recently, had very little to show for it. If I'm him, I'm counting the minutes of my fame and remembering how many mac and cheese and ramen noodle meals I ate before the current buzz.

It's a tough place for a guy like him to be his age and be in the biz that long, to try and count the quarters and still be a team player.

I could be way off base, but that's my take on a guy like that.

For the most part, all of the creators were pretty cool at the show. And I spent way more money that I should have, but had a blast. For anyone that didn't make it, the Max Brooks panel was really good.

The moment from this past weekend that will stick out the most in my mind is when one, not to be named, artist acted like a complete person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and told me he wouldn't sign my HC trade unless I bought $20 worth of product off his table. I was kind of hacked off about it, so I told him there were much better things at the show to spend a $20 on and walked off.

That's Suydam shame.

not to defend Suydam, if he is the one being referenced, and I certainly wasn't there- but I feel bad for guys like him. Does creator owned work as early as the 70's, has certainly put in his time, and until very recently, had very little to show for it. If I'm him, I'm counting the minutes of my fame and remembering how many mac and cheese and ramen noodle meals I ate before the current buzz.

It's a tough place for a guy like him to be his age and be in the biz that long, to try and count the quarters and still be a team player.

It's a perfectly valid take. I have no idea who the OP was referring to, but I gave my 2c as to who I thought it might be. I'm all for those artists getting theirs, but they need to know that the PR is not necessarily going to be good when you require a $20 purchase for a doggone autograph.

It's a perfectly valid take. I have no idea who the OP was referring to, but I gave my 2c as to who I thought it might be. I'm all for those artists getting theirs, but they need to know that the PR is not necessarily going to be good when you require a $20 purchase for a doggone autograph.

yeah, I wouldn't like it either.

I remember when a Mississippian who actually made it into Marvel in the early nineties, Steven Butler, was at a local con charging 1.00 for sketches and I balked at the price. He was a champ, and did the sketch anyway.

I was young and naive. I would gladly throw the guy some change had I to do it all over again.

But 20 dollar sigs/sketches adds up quick. To all the guys persuing this line of collectible, i say kudos. I will be on the sidelines watching.

yeah, I think that's right.

I forget his buddy who could draw dinosaurs really well. Ken has a sketch book by him in his store at the moment. I think the buddy is still in MS, but I think (and man, I could be really wrong about this) that Steve ended up working in Comercial Art. I know he did some Archie work for a while, and for all I know, may still be doing it.

this is far from inclusive, but does mention his recent Archie work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Butler

and while I have the entire Badger run, and issue 2 sticks clearly out in my head, and I can see his sig at the bottom of it now that I think about it, I never think about his connection to Badger.

That's Suydam shame.

Suydams an azz,plain and simple.

Thanks for the pics! I had an outstanding buying day Friday at the show, spent my money, my back up money, and my emergency money! I went a few years ago and had a crappy time, very few comic dealers...this year was light crowds, tons of comics, and it ended up being my favorite show of 2008!

Did anyone see the guy in the Red Skull costume? He was totally decked out, the best of the show.

You can all share the experience...I will start a Texas selling thread in a few days because I can't afford to keep everything I bought!

I saw the Red Skull guy. He really looked the part. Put a lot of time and effort into his costume apparently.

The show was a lot of fun, the board dinner was a blast, great time was had by all. :cloud9:

Great talking with you last night Ciorac !

Your one interesting , sharp guy .................... (thumbs u

Thanks BH! I really enjoyed talking with you and your wife as well.

Malibu Ken! lol

Lots of good looking and... not so good looking people in the pics. They HAVE to know they'll be posted online... ah well.

And how hasn't anyone commented on those two GORGEOUS Matt Wagner pieces??? :o :o :o I'm a bigger fan of Batman, but that Thor piece is absolutely stunning! :golfclap:

One of the most impressive things I saw at the show was the guy who came up to our booth with the staggering original owner collection he had recently purchased. It included not one, but TWO, Detective 33's! There was also a Tec 8, 6, and a dozen or so other awesome books. They will be on their way to CGC soon.

I'm sure Haspel will enjoy grading them. Have fun Mark! :luhv::banana:

I didn't take many pictures as I was busy working the booth for Matt and Steve. But here are a couple anyway.

Scott Adsit from 30 Rock hung out at our booth for a while, until he started getting inundated by interview requests, and fans.

Very cool guy

IMG00061.jpg

The facial expression on the girl in the background kind of makes this shot humorous

IMG00059.jpg

Another perspective

kindahot.jpg

My good friend Steve Ritter and his new employee Scott

IMG00055.jpg

Matt Nelson hard at work pre-screening comics

IMG00054.jpg

Here I am before I had enough coffee in me to be fully aware of my surroundings

IMG00057.jpg

Matt, Steve and I had a great show, and a good time was had by all :)

I didn't take many pictures as I was busy working the booth for Matt and Steve. But here are a couple anyway.

Scott Adsit from 30 Rock hung out at our booth for a while, until he started getting inundated by interview requests, and fans.

Very cool guy

IMG00061.jpg

The facial expression on the girl in the background kind of makes this shot humorous

IMG00059.jpg

Another perspective

kindahot.jpg

IMG00055.jpg

IMG00054.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

Great report ! Hope you had a good trip back , and M. Nelson's accomadations were adequate for the hotel king ................ (thumbs u

Thanks Scott! Did you find the website I gave you?

I did. I am trying to think about what kind of commission I want her to do. I am thinking about possibly having her turn my two little ones into super-heroes. Another idea is a cover recreation that I think she would be a perfect fit for.

Thanks for her info. (thumbs u

Well, I said I would make a report, and here it is.

I took my digital camera with me, but it decided that it wanted to stop working. It is becoming evident to me that I am getting about two years of use from a digital camera before it starts to breakdown. Guess I know what I will be looking for this Christmas. Sorry for the lack of pics.

I arrived about 11am, making the drive from the Austin area in about 3 hours. Admired the new Cowboys stadium from a distance for a few minutes and made my way inside.

The first sight that I saw was the group of "heroes" that Don posted at the front of this thread. The guy in the 40's Serial style Batman costume was cracking me the hell up. He looked as if he had eaten the Batman for breakfast. Good times.

Made my way to check-in then got in line for my two free books, which I will probably sell. :insane: I noticed everyone was grabbing shipping tubes that were covered in graphics. I still don't have a clue as to what they contained, but I was not carrying that thing around all day long. I assume they contained some kind of poster/flyer. I'm sure one of you guys picked up three or four of them. :baiting:

The first place I headed after enteering the hall was the "Aisle of Grade C Fame"

The first inhabitant was Lou Ferrigno. Funny story about Lou...he is a greedy mofo. I have seen his interactions with fans and it is all monetarily driven. I happened to see him later in the day, sitting by himself, counting all of the money in his wallet. I laughed my tail off once I walked past him. Didn't want him to think I was laughing at him.....hey...he is the Hulk after all.

Various wrestlers also came to be ogled over.....still don't get the correlation between wrestling than comics....other than the costumes and roid engorged participants. I honestly couldn't care less about pro wrestling. The American Gladiators were there too......very healthy young women is all I will say. :shy:

The first dealer that I saw was Mr. Yee himself. Introduced myself and told him I used to buy from him in Charlotte many, many years ago. Looked over his wares and didn't find anything I had to have. He had a Thing! 13 in 7.0, but I thought the grade was off and the price a tad too aggressive. Told him thanks and headed over to Dale Roberts. Dale had some really nice books, but nothing that was on my want-list. Made some chit-chat and vamoosed.

I have to go to a meeting right now. I will finish up and post the books I found when I get back.

Scott

Very cool guy

IMG00061.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

Another perspective

kindahot.jpg

IMG00055.jpg

IMG00054.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

Great report ! Hope you had a good trip back , and M. Nelson's accomadations were adequate for the hotel king ................ (thumbs u

I did, and they were. Matt's palatial estate is quite comfortable.