• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ottawa Comic Con Nov. 23

13 posts in this topic

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ottawa, Ontario - Canada

Ottawa Civic Centre

1015 Bank St.

Hours:10am-4pm

Admission: FREE

Over 110 Dealer Tables Featuring:

comics, sports cards, coins, vinyl and other collectibles

This show is Ottawa’s biggest and is only held twice a year and is a can’t miss event for any collector as a lot of these dealers will be making their only Ottawa appearance. The accent of the show is to have varied amount of collectibles to satisfy any collector and we are always trying to bring in new dealers to keep the show fresh!!

Eight foot dealer tables cost $60.00, tax included

Mike Quevillon

In Ottawa (613) 823-1837

E-mail: mrq@rogers.com

NEXT DATE: May 31, 2009

So, will anyone be there? It would be nice to meet some forum members. I only know one

DAVIDPG (I believe that is his screen name,,,).

Anyways i'll be there with 6 or 7 boxes of comics, magazines, etc... The number keeps growing as I keep pulling stuff to sell! Gotta pay for that AF #15 and X-MEN #1.... :cloud9:

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ottawa, Ontario - Canada

Ottawa Civic Centre

1015 Bank St.

Hours:10am-4pm

Admission: FREE

Over 110 Dealer Tables Featuring:

comics, sports cards, coins, vinyl and other collectibles

This show is Ottawa’s biggest and is only held twice a year and is a can’t miss event for any collector as a lot of these dealers will be making their only Ottawa appearance. The accent of the show is to have varied amount of collectibles to satisfy any collector and we are always trying to bring in new dealers to keep the show fresh!!

Eight foot dealer tables cost $60.00, tax included

Mike Quevillon

In Ottawa (613) 823-1837

E-mail: mrq@rogers.com

NEXT DATE: May 31, 2009

Does ANYONE know who will be setting up tables on Sunday? Does this show warrant a 4-hour drive through wintery roads? Just wondering...

I'm taking a guess here, but it's going to be local chaps as far as I know.

Myself, MAJOR COMICS, WES HAGEN (DodoFive on Ebay), perhaps BRUN MAZZ-something or other, MARC THE COMIC HUNTER, and some Ottawa chaps. I do know that a local collector is selling his personal SILVER/BRONZE AGE collection - I've already lined up some nice books, but there are plenty more available!

I think this show might have the best selection of comics for sale Ottawa has offered in a long time, but that's all in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

Hope to see you there!

I will bring my camera. See if I can't take some pictures of the local and Montreal area dealers. You never know what you will find at a show like this. I'm bringing some nice books with me. Hopefully I can make a few deals and bring home some new books. My nephew is bringing his Art Ross hockey card with him as well. The last time he brought it to a show was years ago. They offered him a decent Mickey Mantle rookie card and a Micheal Jordan rookie card in very nice shape for it. We'll see what they think of the card now..

I just got back from the show. I was disappointed for the most part. I couldn't even find a Hulk 181, X-Men 94, Asm 129, etc. It was nice to meet up with Voorhees though. My nephew got a few books from you. The dealer next door to you had a nice collection of books though. I wish I could of gotten that Batman 21 he had. It is a pretty nice copy.. Hopefully he will have some similar stuff at the next show.

That dealer had a nice book on the wall for $300.00 "When I decide Robin must die, He dies".. The number of the book escapes me at the moment. I asked to see the book. I was very interested in buying it. The book looked to be in 9.0 condition. With a very slight chance of 9.2. So the dealer took the book off the wall display and handed it to me to look at.

When I went through the book. I noticed it had Micro Chamber Paper{as I call it} on the very first page. I knew right then the book had been graded at some point by The CGC.

Usually there are only two reasons a book is taken out of the slab. 1. The owner didn't agree with the grade. 2. The book came back as restored in some form or fashion.

So I decided to give it a much closer look. Then I saw it. The dreaded color touch on Batman's calf. Very well done professional color touch. Plus a tiny amount in the green area's in that small area as well. I would call it Moderate Professional work. I then showed the book to my nephew. He saw he color touch as well.

I then showed the book to Voorhees. He saw the book. He also saw the color touch. So three collectors all agreed it had been worked on. I then showed it to the dealer who owned the book. I didn't want just my opinion. He and his helper looked at the book. He was rather disgusted when he saw the color touch. He had bought the book in Baltimore. So here we had a $300 sticker price book. He would of sold it for $275 I'm sure. But he just found out the book has been restored! Not a good feeling I'm sure.

Another dealer bought a nice book from this dealer as well. He looked at the book and said the book was still worth $160 to him. I dis agreed. I wouldn't pay $160 for a restored book that is pretty easy to find in mid to high grade. $275 - $300 for a un restored copy in 9.0 condition was a fair price for the book.

The dealer then asked me what I thought the book was worth with the restoration. I all ready felt bad for him. He seemed to be a very nice, honest dealer. He had even taken the book off of the wall. I figured the book was now worth about $80. Possibly $100 to the right collector. While he wasn't happy. He pretty much agreed. Here is the weird part. Dealer B takes another look at the book. He agrees the book has indeed been color touched after he took a good close look. He happily pays $160 for it. I have to think the book was bought for re sale. So how is this book worth $160 to another dealer? He has to make a few bucks re selling it.

So was I wrong on what the book was worth being restored? I admit my knowledge of what a restored book sells for is very limited I don't buy restored book's at all. I know trimming just kills the value. Tear seals, staples replaced, pieces replaced, next in line on the value deduction. Then on down the line. I would imagine if detected. Pressing is usually the least invasive form of restoration.

In my personal limited knowledge of restored books. I would put color touch in the middle of the road as far as deducting value from a book. Am I correct in my thinking?

I know there isn't some form of restoration = % deducted from the price guideline.

Is a $275 - $300 book worth $160 wholesale? Or am I right in thinking the $80 - $100 is a fair value for a book with moderate professional color touch??

Any help here would be very much appreciated. It was nice to meet you Voorhees. I hope the show made you some decent money. Just enough to buy the book's I had that you needed to help finish off your run... The book's you did get were very nice. My nephew liked the Heroine Addiction book the best!!

Yep - a BEAUTIFUL #232....

Nice to meet you TFL (and your nephew).

As for the "color retouch" matter, I cannot confirm its presence, simply because I do not have an eye for that. BUT, something was fishy (not the dealer's behavior) about that book. I think it was purchased from one of those dealers known for opening slabs and selling them raw as a higher graded copy or worse yet, as a copy with undisclosed restoration. :frustrated:

To clarify, the dealer in OTTAWA did NOT know about this. The fishiness goes back to when it was bought by the Ottawa dealer from the dealer in Baltimore. I think I read something here on the boards about board members being witness to dealers there cracking open slabs to do just this.

As for books at the Ottawa Con, I didn't look around much because I had already made a deal prior to arriving with a personal collector selling his books at the show. What did I get?

BATMAN #232, 234, 251,

DETECTIVE COMICS #400,

GL #76-77, 85,

AVENGERS #4 (restored),

SS #4, and

ASM #121-122.

My collection is nearly complete.

I did ok sales-wise, and I'll be doing one or two more shows next month. After that I'll be dumping the remains here and perhaps on Feebay.

Mental note: make better signs for my boxes - I had plenty of SILVER, BRONZE, and COPPER books, but hardly anyone looked through them thinking it was my usual MODERN stuff.

Time to make up for the lack of sleep!