• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGT.ROCK OR SGT.FURY? POLL FOR VETERANS DAY plus show us your favorite covers

SGT.FURY VS.SGT.ROCK  

234 members have voted

1. 1. SGT.FURY VS.SGT.ROCK

47 posts in this topic

Good point.

Maybe the sworn enemies of these two Sgt's will help us decide. Fury has Baron Strucker........and Hitler, and Rock has The Iron Major......and Hitler. Hmmmm......its a toss up.

Rock is ahead 79-21%? Did he ever go on to lead a major espionage agency that managed to save the world a dozen times over from maniacal villains and shadowy organizations hellbent on on dominion? I think not. :sumo:

Kanigher and Kubert's stories were superior than Marvel's token war effort (excluding Captain Savage of course). Their stories were poignant, had more depth of characterization, succeeded in capturing the horror and futility of war and went beyond the usual good guys vs. bad guys dust-ups that were prevalent at Marvel.

So there. :sumo:

Fury had a better post-war career though

Sgt. Rock..sorry, and this is from a marvel guy, at least based on the covers! Heck, Marvel had so little faith in him as soldier they had him working in two timelines and one of them as a middle aged super hero type.

Of course, I have always been partial to the Haunted Tank and the Ghost of Jeb Stuart

Rock is ahead 79-21%? Did he ever go on to lead a major espionage agency that managed to save the world a dozen times over from maniacal villains and shadowy organizations hellbent on on dominion? I think not. :sumo:

Kanigher and Kubert's stories were superior than Marvel's token war effort (excluding Captain Savage of course). Their stories were poignant, had more depth of characterization, succeeded in capturing the horror and futility of war and went beyond the usual good guys vs. bad guys dust-ups that were prevalent at Marvel.

SGT.FURY first two years are classics and thier is a rumor that Jack Kirby patterned Sgt.Fury after himself.

Good article here explains it better then me.

WAS JACK KIRBY SGT.FURY?

These Sgt.Fury classics have been overlooked for a long time.

SGT.FURY first two years are classics and thier is a rumor that Jack Kirby patterned Sgt.Fury after himself.

Good article here explains it better then me.

WAS JACK KIRBY SGT.FURY?

These Sgt.Fury classics have been overlooked for a long time.

Kirby poured more of his soul and efforts into the F.F., where it was widely assumed by fandom that Ben Grimm was based on him. Not that Sgt. Fury is a too much of a stretch either.

Just saying that by the late '60s Marvel had more or less dispensed with War as a genre, whilst DC was approaching its zenith with it. DC took its war books more seriously - doesn't mean the early Fury books were bad, just that DC's output was better.

What he said.

The one thing I liked about Fury's men was that they all had machine guns, which always helped explain them killing a few thousand Germans lol

On the other hand it always seemed like Rock and Easy were always running out of ammo and had to slug it out. Which explains why they only killed about a hundred Nazi's :insane: