• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM This AVENGERS #4 (You're Not the Only One!!!)

21 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

How would you grade the following and value it in $$$? It's a restored copy I'm looking to buy - just so I can have one in my collection. According to the owner: "Restored - cover cleaning , small chip near staple fixed".

The asking price is about $120.00USD

Thanks gang!

Avengers04.jpg

Hmmmmm ... never (knowingly) graded a restored book. Doesn't look like much is wrong with it. 9.2? 9.4? (shrug)

If you're looking for a clean copy you can pull out of your collection and not resell for a profit later $120 seems very fair for such a beautiful book.

I think the cover cleaning removed more than just dirt. Look at the red in Giant-Man and Thor's cape. They look rather bleached. Other than that it looks structurally sound - decent corners, etc...

It's a book I'd like to keep for some time, and will eventually sell one day down the road along with all (well, maybe NOT all) of my books! :wishluck:

The price he's asking is less than that of GD (2.0) copy. Seems like a cannot miss at that price - it's part of a larger lot I'm trying to buy that contains most of my lesser "grails" (CONAN #1, DETECTIVE #400, ASM #39, 100, 121-122, BATMAN #232, 234, 237, 251, X-MEN # Neal Adams run, 100-101, SILVER SURFER #4, etc...

It looks like some of the cover is missing by the CCA, also it could have some splitting at the top of the spine. look how thors 'helmet wings' extends over the spine for evidence of possible splitting. If the splitting defect does exist I say a 6.5 maybe. I'm not that good at grading books with only a couple major flaws.

I've regretted buying books just to have in my collection before. When you finally find a copy worthy of your collection down the road it may be hard to sell this one. Then again 120 is nor too much but...I'd wait for the Ottawa show and see what they have to offer there first... (shrug)

Personally, I would not buy it. From looking at the scans it appears as if the cleaning not only faded large amounts of the cover but also removed chunks of the color through out the cover. Thats like having lots of little tape pulls all over your book, its gonna look ugly. Just spend a little more and get a unrestored copy or look for a better presenting restored copy, because this one looks like junk. If you dont believe me just compare the colors and overall appearance from the two copies in the PGM section.

I've regretted buying books just to have in my collection before. When you finally find a copy worthy of your collection down the road it may be hard to sell this one. Then again 120 is nor too much but...I'd wait for the Ottawa show and see what they have to offer there first... (shrug)
That IS one the books being offered in Ottawa... :P

Personally, I would not buy it. From looking at the scans it appears as if the cleaning not only faded large amounts of the cover but also removed chunks of the color through out the cover. Thats like having lots of little tape pulls all over your book, its gonna look ugly. Just spend a little more and get a unrestored copy or look for a better presenting restored copy, because this one looks like junk. If you dont believe me just compare the colors and overall appearance from the two copies in the PGM section.
I'm also thinking it might have been trimmed as well... How about pressed too??? :insane:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for their opinions!

Cleaning can be hard to detect so if it is possible to remove the chip restoration the comic could get a blue label. Apparent 6.0 seems to be very under graded unless it looks a lot worse in reality than the photo shows. There is some wear and if the cover has lost its gloss then I would say CGC would go for 9.0 probably on a purple label.

Cleaning can be hard to detect so if it is possible to remove the chip restoration the comic could get a blue label. Apparent 6.0 seems to be very under graded unless it looks a lot worse in reality than the photo shows. There is some wear and if the cover has lost its gloss then I would say CGC would go for 9.0 probably on a purple label.
Interesting...

However, in this case, I'm told the book gives off a slight odor - from the chemicals used to clean it I imagine. Now, how does that affect a grade...?