• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,928 posts in this topic

I've always counted the copper age as basically from the end of the DC implosion (1978) to the end of the genre books (horror, western and war), which all ended their runs (I think the last was GI Combat in 1988).

I know that's idiosyncratic...

Definitions of Bronze Age and Copper Age often depend on what feels like it fits in one age or the other. Unfortunately, once someone develops a feeling for certain books belonging to a certain age, the feeling tends to dictate the time period. It defies analysis.

If only the publishers and creators had planned the beginning of each new age as a proper event. Then we would know for sure.

Definitions of Bronze Age and Copper Age often depend on what feels like it fits in one age or the other. Unfortunately, once someone develops a feeling for certain books belonging to a certain age, the feeling tends to dictate the time period. It defies analysis.

If only the publishers and creators had planned the beginning of each new age as a proper event. Then we would know for sure.

That's an interesting take on it also. So we have a few votes so far....

Copper age began in....

1/1980

2/1981

:popcorn:

But it is more reasonable, and more even, as ages are in fact just labels, as most terminology is. Each and every isolation is a means, not an end, the timeline is a whole.

I am interested in Marvel, so my perception is mostly related to Marvel and I tend to agree with the 1980-81 model. For me, in general, it has a lot to do with editors and their choices as well, so surely the Bronze Age for me is under Jim Shooter as opposed to Marv Wolfman and what went on before, and the modern age is shared between DeFalco and Quesada.

Surely not 1986 anyway, it’s between the late 1970s and 1984, in this most evaluations coincide.

Copper age started from 1984-1991 here's the link.

http://www.copperagecomics.com/keys.html

That works for me because after '83 most of the big Marvel titles went into the toliet after long successful runs with some fantastic art. 1984 and beyond:

- Iron Man, yuk. Hard to follow the great work done up to issue #150.

- Captain America - same here, nothing memorable at this point.

- FF - Yeah Byrne was still there but he milked all his good ideas at this point.

- Avengers - pure drek after a glorious 50+ issue run.

- Thor was a bit of an exception as Simonson took the series to new heights.

I guess that sort of jives with the timeframe mentioned aboved. I remember completely getting out of comics in '83 because both companies nosedived in terms of quality.

Yeah me too for various reasons [mainly because I was a teenager at that point] but the quality did go in the krapper and man the '90's in generals were just :eek:

I guess that sort of jives with the timeframe mentioned aboved. I remember completely getting out of comics in '83 because both companies nosedived in terms of quality.

Yeah me too for various reasons [mainly because I was a teenager at that point] but the quality did go in the krapper and man the '90's in generals were just :eek:

As an italian I grew up with high quality Marvel bronze stories and the silver age stories which were reprinted as well, but I must admit that when I returned to comics I found some series of the second half of the eighties to be of high quality as well.

The New Mutants and X-Factor, when written by Louise Simonson, offered great issues, and here and there many series had top-notch runs (like the "Under Siege" arc in the Avengers). The second half of the 1980s was generally better but yes… the 1990s started really bad. :sick:

Another HA impulse buy... meh

Xmen133_zps78ed8a5b.jpg

growing up, I mainly read Spider-man books but my older brother was into X-Men and Daredevil. This book was the one that made me begin reading X-Men and start liking Wolverine.

Great pick up, this is one is on my want list.