• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY National Con Report

51 posts in this topic

Saddled up on Thursday for the trek to NYC, met Ted/Superworld at his new location(nice place!), saw some new pickups he had(Detective #29, Red Raven #1) and loaded up the van. Drive down to NYC was uneventful and we made it in decent time! Got the van unloaded, the booth set up and made it across the street to a pub for the Pats game and some grub, got on the radar of some rabid drunk Jets fans when I hooted and clapped at a Patriots TD. Caught the last part of the game back in our room.

Friday morning was the rest of setup and trading "Hellos" & "FUs" with people as they came in to do the same. By midday people started working their way through the room. Had a nice chat with GreatEscape(Dino!), met spiderman-on-crack ( :baiting: ) who was working the booth next door with Bob "Bad Luck" Storms, chatted with Mark Haspel, and the show got rolling. By early afternoon the room was HOT, though we may have had the best seat in the house as we were next to a drafty bank of windows that kept the air fresher and slightly cooler. Sales for Ted were in bunches with periods of inactivity, overall ok day with a few people making drivebys for purchases later in the weekend.

Some of the inactive time was spent chatting it up with boarders, some of them I had previously met (Foolkiller, Hotflips' Handsome Jeff and Charles, sorry if I missed anyone else, i don't think I saw KC til Sat but it all blends together!). Sometime during the day the Jim Twins strolled in, it was nice to meet cgcworld and as for the other one, well, :whistle:, I thought he was taller.

At the end of the day Ted & I hooked up with Mutantkeys, the Jims & spider-tilt for dinner, nice way to end the day!

Saturday was much busier for us, ended up being a decent day with a little bit of everything selling(GA, SA, BA, and even some art). Saw Paul(silverandbronze), KC, nik, Kevin Boyd, (and apologies to anyone else I neglected to mention), met The Ressurection, and more of DrWatson than any sane person could stand. Got hot again too. While packing up the booth after closing time that evening I had an interesting experience.

Some boarders were waiting for us across the aisle to wrap up so we could go catch a bite to eat. Some guy comes over to look at the toy booth next door(the owner was long gone) and pops underneath the drapped "door" that covered the entranced to the cage of toys. I politely asked him to leave the area as the owner had left, the guy said he justed wanted to buy some stuff and that he knew the owner of the booth and he wasn't going to be back to the show on Sunday. I came around and asked the guy to leave again, he didn't want to, and asked if I could take money for the booth owner. I knew the owner only enough to exchange pleasantries, but figured he wouldn't want to miss a sale as one of the conversations he and I had earlier in the day was regarding covering potential sales of another toy dealer right across from us that kept wandering off(but had no prices on his stuff) and that if the stuff were priced we would pass along any sales that took place as long as it wasn't interfering with our own work. Some toys are picked out and then it just got funny. First, he asks for a discount, because the owner usually gives him one. I said no to that one, that wasn't something I was comfortable with. Next, could I take a credit card for the sale, he wasn't sure if he had the cash. Well, no on that one too. Ok, next up could he have a receipt so he could come back next show and show the owner he bought some toys and get an additional discount on the next batch he bought. Yeesh, this is turning into a major production! Finally, because the toys were marked "xx.95", he said(and I have no idea if it was joking or not) don't forget my .25 change. Next thing I hear is Jim(cgcworld) exclaiming "For Chrissakes(or something similar), here's a quarter". I hope he gave him a Canadian one. Finally the sale was completed, everyone who witnessed it was just shaking their heads, and we headed off to dinner.

Went next door to pub-like Stout, had an attractive waitress who said "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" with the sexiest accent, ate, drank, and were merry. Some people had many more shots than they usually have, and I can neither confirm or deny that I participated in the last couple of rounds.

Sunday saw a few hungover boarders(I won't mention any names cgcworld, mutantkeys & spider-tilt so your secrets are safe with me! (thumbs u ) The toy dealer was tickled I took the sale for him, and by the end of the story felt bad and offered to buy me lunch(we settled on coffee). He had arrived at his booth shortly before I got there and noticed some empty spots on his racks and was wondering if he had been ripped off. Saw Sharon(skypinkblu) and her husband(a pleasure as always!). The day was slower for sales though there was a very decent flurry of activity for the last hour. We packed up, had a slight delay with a spilled stack of booth tables blocking the exit ramp for a short period of time, and I was home in bed by midnight!

Overall the show seemed to be less attended than last time, sales were decent for Ted but I was glad I didn't set up due to the costs. Not all the attendees fit the description of Evan Dorkins report, there are plenty of very pleasant people that we see there on a regular basis. The usual number of people wanderd by asking "how do I get out of here" as the layout can be a little confusing.

I'll add more as I think of the details!

I attended the national (I guess there's photo evidence of that in kc120's report) but like many, my comment is that the venue was once again unusually hot. If you attended this show in the past you know it was a) hot and b) this was the typical state of the venue.

I definitely enjoyed going to the show for what it was. However, there wasn't much that I was really wowed by in the room in terms of things for sale. Shelton Drum was selling a great deal of his new collection that he tried moving in block for the last two years. I bought a few books as did Nik. However, other dealers had already pillaged the collection and so many of the keys and better books were long gone. I saw Vincent making a big stack and hurried over, but of course he, Harley, and I believe Paris Fred, had already hit Shelton.

Still, I was able to pull an Avengers 6 and 8, as well as an ASM 53 and a gorgeous Silver Surfer #2. Did a trade with Ted and spent a little extra $ with him as well. Some nice raw stuff from him as always.

Enjoyed talking to all the forum members and those who joined us for lunch including kc120, david miller (dem1138), gene, hari naidu, nik, pat (resurrection), doc watson, cgcworld, and I'm blanking but someone else I'm not remembering was there too.

Highlight of the show though was when adamstrange came and showed me some of his 50s DC books. Breathtaking. Some of the best copies you will ever see.

Enjoyed seeing and meeting all the boardies... that was fantastic.

Got home Saturday night, woke up the next day and bought a 2000 book super high grade bronze age collection Marvel collection. slabbing with value tiers and moderns for the next two years at least. lol

Got home Saturday night, woke up the next day and bought a 2000 book super high grade bronze age collection Marvel collection. slabbing with value tiers and moderns for the next two years at least. lol

And now your inbox will be filled with 200 inquery PM's!

Congrats on landing the collection.

And now your inbox will be filled with 200 inquery PM's!

Congrats on landing the collection.

thanks dude... Though, in some ways I'm glad dealers beat me to Shelton's I would have bought more of his books for sure...

Sounds like I missed all the fireworks!

:cry:

Well... the BA collection wasn't bought at the show. That's another connection that worked out wonderfully.

Shelton's books were expensive and he had no interest in discounting. I paid high (and so did all the dealers). Mine are for my personal collection and I'm not slabbing or selling.

Sounds like I missed all the fireworks!

:cry:

Well... the BA collection wasn't bought at the show. That's another connection that worked out wonderfully.

Shelton's books were expensive and he had no interest in discounting. I paid high (and so did all the dealers). Mine are for my personal collection and I'm not slabbing or selling.

:cry: :cry:

I guess I'm not important enough to remember of, Brian :(

lol

I was blanking on you. I actually sat here and went around the table mentally. What's worse is that you were sitting right across from me.

:blush:

Thanks Andrew for blocking the hallway with your 40 tables. I got home at 11:30 last night. :sumo:

Its always fun chatting it up with you Andrew. Nice to see Brian (Foolkiller), Jim (CGCworld), Jim (Doc Watson), Nik (Nik), Danny (Mutant-Keys), Sharon (skypinkblu) and husband, Pat (Ressurection), and Casey (KCsomething) and others that were there. If i missed you, i apolagize. I had a great time at the show,

Jeff

I attended the national (I guess there's photo evidence of that in kc120's report) but like many, my comment is that the venue was once again unusually hot. If you attended this show in the past you know it was a) hot and b) this was the typical state of the venue.

I definitely enjoyed going to the show for what it was. However, there wasn't much that I was really wowed by in the room in terms of things for sale. Shelton Drum was selling a great deal of his new collection that he tried moving in block for the last two years. I bought a few books as did Nik. However, other dealers had already pillaged the collection and so many of the keys and better books were long gone. I saw Vincent making a big stack and hurried over, but of course he, Harley, and I believe Paris Fred, had already hit Shelton.

Still, I was able to pull an Avengers 6 and 8, as well as an ASM 53 and a gorgeous Silver Surfer #2. Did a trade with Ted and spent a little extra $ with him as well. Some nice raw stuff from him as always.

Enjoyed talking to all the forum members and those who joined us for lunch including kc120, david miller (dem1138), gene, hari naidu, nik, pat (resurrection), doc watson, cgcworld, and I'm blanking but someone else I'm not remembering was there too.

Highlight of the show though was when adamstrange came and showed me some of his 50s DC books. Breathtaking. Some of the best copies you will ever see.

Enjoyed seeing and meeting all the boardies... that was fantastic.

It was a pleasure meeting you in person. I was sweating bullets whether I'd even make it with all the traffic troubles due to the torrential downpour.

Thanks Andrew for blocking the hallway with your 40 tables. I got home at 11:30 last night. :sumo:

Those kids were lucky when the tables slid they didn't get hurt.