• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America 117, 118?

11 posts in this topic

Why is the selling price for Cap 117 shooting through the roof? CL has 3 9.4's listed as sold, one for $900, another for $1675, and another for $2500. There's even a 118 listed in 9.4 that sold for $855. Has the title's value actually increased that much? Or is it just a few crazy buyers pushing the price upward? What's going on?

CLink

Well, it's a very tough book in higher grades and all keys and higher grade books seem to be taking off this year...it's likely a combination of these things.

R.

Cap 117 has flown under the radar for quite some time but, as someone who has collected SA Caps for a while now... it is one of the issues that is very, very difficult to find in 9.4 and better. It has shot up in value like many other Marvel keys recently, but it has always been an insanely difficult book to find. The 118 is not as difficult, so I think someone has paid a very inflated price, but probably looked at it in relationship to the 117 and pushed the price higher.

Generally Caps, even in high grade, are not difficult to find in grade. Cap 100 is an extremely common book. Two years ago I paid $750 for a Cap 100 CGC 9.4 white. Now that is the price being fetched for the 9.2 in the current Clink auction (or roughly that amount).

The bottom line is that high grade Marvel keys are becoming more and more aggressively priced.

The 9.4 is being dragged along by the insane price that a 9.6 achieved at an auction this year. It was a CLink auction and I think it was around $3500. Since then a 9.4 has sold for around 1k. GPA is completely whacked on this book because of the unreported sales. :cry:

The 9.4 is being dragged along by the insane price that a 9.6 achieved at an auction this year. It was a CLink auction and I think it was around $3500. Since then a 9.4 has sold for around 1k. GPA is completely whacked on this book because of the unreported sales. :cry:

the 9.6 actually sold for $4k.

Cap 117 has flown under the radar for quite some time but, as someone who has collected SA Caps for a while now... it is one of the issues that is very, very difficult to find in 9.4 and better. It has shot up in value like many other Marvel keys recently, but it has always been an insanely difficult book to find. The 118 is not as difficult, so I think someone has paid a very inflated price, but probably looked at it in relationship to the 117 and pushed the price higher.

Generally Caps, even in high grade, are not difficult to find in grade. Cap 100 is an extremely common book. Two years ago I paid $750 for a Cap 100 CGC 9.4 white. Now that is the price being fetched for the 9.2 in the current Clink auction (or roughly that amount).

The bottom line is that high grade Marvel keys are becoming more and more aggressively priced.

I'm not sure I agree that 118 is easier to find then 117. I had a horrible time finding my 118 and have gone through 5 117's in 9.4 during that period of time. The census seems to show this as well with only 3 copies in 9.6 and 6 in 9.4. Perhaps you're seeing more raw NM copies of 118 at shows? But I'm definitely not seeing them online.

117 is tough in 9.6, but issues like 105, 112, and 119 are just as hard to find as 117 in 9.4. I think this is an issue that people will be regretting paying over 1k for in 9.4 down the road. Let alone over 2k like the one on CL allegedly sold for..

I had ALL of the SA Caps as a kid, then sold them all :frustrated:

But, if you are looking for the highest graded Cap 117 for sale... here you go:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=22440

It is the old business saying, supply low, price high, supply high, price low... that's why saudi arabi is going be cutting 1.5 million barrels a day in oil production... so you know what that will do.

But this book(117) and Avengers #57 have gone through the proverbial roof! Completely out stripping surrounding books, and all rational logic :insane: These books are almost becoming sought after, simply because they are sought after doh!

Cap on the registry only has a few collectors who would be considered serious completists, and who else would shell out big big bucks for a #117 if not a Cap collector, right (shrug) (yes there are CGC collectors outside the registry, but it provides a very adequate snapshot).

And the same with Avengers #57. You have to get sub issue #10 to see similar prices for a 9.6, which is simply rediculous!! Albeit the book has a stunning SA cover, could break top 3 on the next survey, but Vision as a character is minor. Albeit the nicest thing you could say, is that the character has a Moonknight-esk following. Anything to explain the crazy dollars paid.