• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any board members live near Fort Myers, Florida?

16 posts in this topic

Sorry, I don't, however, I used to live there 18 years ago. That place had only 2 traffic lights when I first visited there in the early 80s.

Now it's a sprawling metro area with plunging home values.

Lee County has the worst home market problem in Florida.

Sorry FK, I do a lot of business down there but totally unrelated to comics. I've no idea if there are good shops in Ft Myers.

However, isn't boards member BlindOwl from Ft Myers??

Naples is just a little bit south. Less than an hour.

I've been to Ft. Myers a couple of times. I can't remember seeing a comic shop, but then again I'm usually (a) down there for spring training and (b) I actually stay in Ft. Myers Beach.

We're heading down again next year. :banana:

I was on vacation in Naples back in Feb. 2004. Drove up to Ft.Myers (45 min or so) and found 1 shop. Cant recall the name but it could be this store..

Comics, cards n stuff...

I would call 1st to see if they are still open though... :wishluck:

Brad

Spring training? Red Sox or Twins?

And yes, Naples is about 30 minutes south of Ft. Myers if you take I-75.

Red Sox. We've been twice before and are making a point to head down once again this spring. I've already got at least a partial itinerary mapped out: City of Palms Park + Tetley's Steak and Stone + the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary... :cloud9:

I have to come down for business in December -- is there any one near who lives near this area or knows of any good comic shops in the area?

FK, I spend my summers down on Sanibel Island which is attached to Ft. Myers by a causeway and I've never seen a comic shop in that area in the almost 30 years I've been going there.

When I was a kid, the first thing I would do upon arrival (after going to stick my feet in the Gulf) would be to check that year's edition of the Yellow Pages to see if there were any new listings for comic shops ... there never were. The closest I ever came was a pile of beat-up Dells in a used book store back in the early 90's.

Even though I live in Florida, I've never gone to spring training. I'm curious, why would someone want to go to spring training?

Spring training itself is interesting because it embodies the promise of a new baseball season which is both interesting because of the sport itself and because it's a harbinger of warm weather once again returning to New England.

Which speaks to another part of it the appeal of being someplace warm. I travel down from Boston and have to trudge through snow to get to the airport, so landing in Florida and changing into shorts is a benefit all by itself.

It also present the opportunity to see a large percentage of the organization in one place. While I go to the Red Sox minor league affiliates, and can see their prospects there, it's interesting to see them in mixed competition.

Even though I live in Florida, I've never gone to spring training. I'm curious, why would someone want to go to spring training?

When I lived there back in the early 90s, there wasn't a team in Florida so it was the only baseball you could see live. The ballparks are small, like minor league parks and pretty homey. The players seem to be loose and available to the fans.