• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one that doesn't like Romita Jr art in ASM?

31 posts in this topic

I can't stand Romita Jr's art on ASM. I've been an avid reader of ASM since I was a kid many years ago, but Romita Jr's art is so bad it's hard to follow the story. I've always really enjoyed Sr's artwork. His stuff is sometimes simplistic, but Peter always looks like Peter and Mary Jane always looks like MJ. With Jr, I can't tell who the character is half the time when the costume is off.

OK, I can't be the only one out there. Who else can't stand his art? Anyone actually like it? I just don't understand why Marvel doesn't put one of its best on ASM...

V/R,

Mike

I've never been a fan either. But, his art has been a joy compared to some of the writing since BND began. Title has been stinky, and I only keep picking it up to keep the run going. Hpe they realize soon that the flagship title deserves a lot more attention and talent. :shrug:

I've never been a fan either. But, his art has been a joy compared to some of the writing since BND began. Title has been stinky, and I only keep picking it up to keep the run going. Hpe they realize soon that the flagship title deserves a lot more attention and talent. :shrug:

Waid and Kitson are doing an arc, so will be much better.

John Romita Jr. rocks! :headbang: But art is a very subjective thing, so... :foryou:

On another note, I didn't know Barry Kitson was going to do an arc in ASM! He's probably my favorite current artist and I think he might be reason enough to make me buy a new issue of ASM after almost 10 years. :o

I keep buying it to keep the run going also. I do like the stories for the most part, but I wish the artwork was tighter. Romita Jr just seems to rush everything. It's almost like he's not really finished or he's just making up draft story board art for the real artist to use.

V/R,

Mike

I have my LCS remove any book with artwork by Romita Jr. from my pull list each week.

Wow! Why does Marvel act like he's so good? And why do they have an artist that's not at the top of his/her game on their flagship title?

V/R,

Mike

Whomever did the Art for the recent Punisher issue should be shot! It was just painful to look at...

I thought the same thing. Not sure who it was. But it was awful.

Didn't mind seeing Moses Magnum back though.

Pat

His older stuff (ASM 210-250) on the book I really enjoyed. But then the new stuff I never really cared for. The figures seemed distorted beyond that of physical possiblity. Sure, I can take some creative imagination but it was just too much. Too over the top. His story telling through pictures was slightly above average but the characters were the detracters for me.

I have my LCS remove any book with artwork by Romita Jr. from my pull list each week.

Wow! Why does Marvel act like he's so good? And why do they have an artist that's not at the top of his/her game on their flagship title?

V/R,

Mike

I think he is very punctual with his tasks for any given comic. Not being late may contribute to Marvels desire to work with him.

I think what did it for me was WWH. I was very excited about it, and I saw the beautiful, detailed covers, but when I looked inside I found it to be a mess. Characters were boxy and every single one of them looked the same. Especially the faces.

In the end I had difficulty discerning exactly who was in the underground box. Was it Banner, Jones, The Sentry?

Yuck yuck yuck.

Sorry for the rant. That guys just brings out the worst in me. :(

John Romita Jr. rocks! :headbang: But art is a very subjective thing, so... :foryou:

On another note, I didn't know Barry Kitson was going to do an arc in ASM! He's probably my favorite current artist and I think he might be reason enough to make me buy a new issue of ASM after almost 10 years. :o

Barry has already done a couple of issues including last month's Flash Thompson story.