• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ads at the back of warren mags

24 posts in this topic

Similar to the back issue dept., Captain Company was owned and operated by Warren, they had shelves full of stuff when they went belly up, most of it was sold to employees for pennies on the dollar, anything left was sold at the auction in 1984. (not positive about the auction date, might have been earlier or later than '84, but it was around that time.) Or at least that is the story from a few ex-employees.

So, nope, you can't order any of those cool things or the Warren back issues so don't cut any of those coupons out :o

Similar to the back issue dept., Captain Company was owned and operated by Warren...Or at least that is the story from a few ex-employees.

Yeah, I think there's mention of this in the Warren Companion, I don't 100% recall. Anyway, that's the story I've always heard, as well. hm

I went there once to deliver a friends art and got a tour. The front offices were not imposing but once you went through a door you entered a warehouse which was much larger than the front offices. I remember rows and rows of grey metal shelves with boxes and boxes of on them. The rumour was that Warren made most of his money selling the in the back of the magazine.

I ordered Sea Monkeys & plastic toy soldiers. :/

Ohh that's right, I ordered the Brine shrim...er...Sea Monkeys too! And Magic growing rocks. I guess I did order a lot of stuff from comic books! hm

brine shrimp :roflmao:

it takes an evil genius to market brine shrimp as "Sea Monkeys" and for DECADES too. lol

And can you imagine the thousands of disappointed kids as they waited patiently for those shrimp to evolve into those biped, crown-wearing, humanoid sea creatures? Now that's PURE evil! rantrant

The xray spec ad was good enough that I bought a pair too :blush:

I can still remember that ad like it was yesterday, guy holding up his hand to see the skeleton of it, and a girl in a dress walking by........

But when you got the specs, not only did they say Xray specs across the front (so you looked like a true dork) they were Clark Kent frames, and the xray consisted of tiny filaments that caused light to bend around things like fingers ect. that looked kinda like bones, a true ripoff.

Still bummed I didn't pick up one of those sony's with the nightshot that was banned/recalled for actually going thru clothing.

I guess some of us never change lol

it takes an evil genius to market brine shrimp as "Sea Monkeys" and for DECADES too. lol

And can you imagine the thousands of disappointed kids as they waited patiently for those shrimp to evolve into those biped, crown-wearing, humanoid sea creatures? Now that's PURE evil! rantrant

Damn "Sea Monkeys". So disappointing. :sorry:

Damn "Sea Monkeys". So disappointing. :sorry:

Check out this partial South Park clip lol

Sea Creatures