• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 GRADING CONTEST

96 posts in this topic

I am in, but I think we should get 3 points for being .2-.5 off, and than 1 point for being a grade off

a. 5 for correct guess

b 3 for 1 grade off

c 1 for 2 grades off

Say the book is 8.5. I guess 8.0, someone else says 7.5, we would get the same points which shouldnt happen...

.2 or .5 is counted as '1 grade' in Nik's terminology.

So 8.0 to 8.5 is 1 grade off.

And 9.4 vs 9.8 is 2 grades off.

I am in, but I think we should get 3 points for being .2-.5 off, and than 1 point for being a grade off

a. 5 for correct guess

b 3 for 1 grade off

c 1 for 2 grades off

Say the book is 8.5. I guess 8.0, someone else says 7.5, we would get the same points which shouldnt happen...

.2 or .5 is counted as '1 grade' in Nik's terminology.

So 8.0 to 8.5 is 1 grade off.

And 9.4 vs 9.8 is 2 grades off.

Thanks for clearing it up. When I saw Niks response to me, I realized and posted on the 2nd page. Thanks again tho. I finished in the top 5 last time, so I am ready to go.

I'm in and $5 sounds great! (thumbs u

I agree with the grading scale and the negative point as well.

I don't think the players should remain anonymous. Not at all.

Thanks Nik, sckao, and silvers, and whomever the banker is. I absolutely love your grading contests. (worship)

Andy

All sounds great fun to me, Nik, but to keep things more collegial and a little less competitive, I would urge you to skip the money part.

I'm in! :banana: ...and would agree with the above, unless absolutely necessary.

All sounds great fun to me, Nik, but to keep things more collegial and a little less competitive, I would urge you to skip the money part.

I have no problem skipping the $5 fee to enter either but thought it would be a good incentive to keep it moving and to motivate people in submitting their grades without me chasing them down or making anyone else wait.

Whatever you guys decide is OK with me, but if we get the same number of players as last year, a $500 minimum pot to the winner is not a bad thing ;)

In this example, you would receive 3 points while the other would receive 1, so I don't see where both of you would get the same points.

Zipper, yes I did that last time with negative points. I will add that if you are 3 grades off you will receive a negative 1 point

Each grade is per the OSPG/CGC grading tier...1/2-point up to 9.0 and then .2 thereafter until 9.9/10.0...in your example the 8 is a grade off and the 7.5 is 2 grades off...

1. I'm in!

2. Agree to provide a -1 for a 4th tier grade 3 or more off

3. Let's see our names...a lot more fun that way!

4. I'm fine with 48 hours to send grades but I'd be fine with 24 hours as well...

5. If we do a money pot...send money order or somebody figure out the Paypal...$5.30 or so (?)

Refresh my memory Nik...do we donate prizes for this? I understand the claim to fame if you're fortunate enough to win is worth everything...just trying to recall. And of course if we settle on a buy-in, that'll be a nice cash pot...and then just to complicate matters should we do 1/2/3 place...say a 60/30/10 split?

There were prizes donated every year from players and were divided to the top finishers every contest.

Donations from players are optional, not mandatory :D

There were prizes donated every year from players and were divided to the top finishers every contest.

Donations from players are optional, not mandatory :D

I'll donate at least 2 books and maybe 3 or 4...I'm feeling in a giving mood... :headbang:

I have no problem skipping the $5 fee to enter either but thought it would be a good incentive to keep it moving and to motivate people in submitting their grades without me chasing them down or making anyone else wait.

Whatever you guys decide is OK with me, but if we get the same number of players as last year, a $500 minimum pot to the winner is not a bad thing ;)

$5 sounds reasonable!

I'm in! And either way is fine, $5 or for fun! Scoring system is fine with me too, until I get the -1 and then I will say the scoring system stinks! :grin:

3 I will give the following info for PQ and any noticeable defects you can not see on the book. I will not handle tons of questions like the past.

Can I call this the Toro rule? :banana:

Now is this just for us amateurs or should we ban all former professional graders! Just kiddin, if this was grading with the book in hand Steve would kick our behinds, but from pics, well it would be interesting!

Also, thanks again for doing this Nik!