• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a twilight copy and a D pedigree?

82 posts in this topic

I don't like them, but I do have a few books with dates in grease pencil and date stamps. Kids names, Store stamps, and store codes are the writting and stamping I hate the most. But yes I do admit like some people have poitned out. It's cool to see that exact date on an issue and think wow April 23, 1942...but with a book like that I would just be like wow 1942...I won't even be around for another 41 years.

Not on the front of the book. Maybe on the back. I have to think about it.893scratchchin-thumb.gif Doubtful

But on a Giant Comics Editions 12 I wouldn't care as long as its not directly on the persons face. The Ohios I had I don't remember any writing on.

But on a Giant Comics Editions 12 I wouldn't care as long as its not directly on the persons face.

You mean like this?

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=12071&Lot_No=30189&src=pr&sid=D5CC24C2B1057468C0B286653D71A455

That is the worst place on this book. And it's a double whammy. Date Stamp and writitng in red. BTW I have seen a similar "M" on some very high grade books from this era. Usually it's black maybe from a grase pencil. Off the top of my head I remember Tec 58 9.4, 73 9.2. Are this books with the "M" from an unrecognized pedigree or collection?

It stands for the "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" pedigree as these otherwise high grade books were defaced by a insufficiently_thoughtful_person with absolutely no regard for the asthetic beauty of these books. 893frustrated.gif

No one knows where the collection originated from, but 99% of the books have a code written (possibly by a child) at the top of the first page.

Here's a pic of what the code looks like. Not everyone agrees with Matt Nelson's assessment that it was written by a child. To my eye it almost appears as if the owner wrote the code while holding the book up in the air. YMMV.

324757-D%20Copy%20Code.jpg

Kid writing codes like that on his books?

I doubt it.

Personally I love Golden Age books with stamps and writing, as long as it is not defacing. Many times I'll buy a very nice book and months to years later I'll see the same writing on another book, so I know it's from the same collection. Being a Pedigree collector for many years I expect and actually want writing/coding on the book to authenticate it's originality.

Funny thing, about 4 years ago I was selling some Mile Highs and the collector was more interested in the books WITH the writing (code) and had less interest in the ones with no writing. 893whatthe.gif

I know the Silver Age guys want no part in dates, stamps or writing in any form. I would never not buy a book due to that, I think it's going a little to far, but that's just me.

Timely

This Batman #23 with the "sn" on the front cover is from the Tennessee collection. Bob Overstreet owned many of those books, bought from Geppi.

See what I mean...all these GA books you talk about with writing on them I can place. That's what's so cool about them. Almost every pedigree collection has writing or stamps on them.

Timely

No one knows where the collection originated from, but 99% of the books have a code written (possibly by a child) at the top of the first page.

Here's a pic of what the code looks like. Not everyone agrees with Matt Nelson's assessment that it was written by a child. To my eye it almost appears as if the owner wrote the code while holding the book up in the air. YMMV.

324757-D%20Copy%20Code.jpg

Kid writing codes like that on his books?

I doubt it.

Agreed. When you've seen enough of them you start to get a definite feel for some sort of logical pattern that no child -- no matter how obsessive-compulsive -- would have come up with. In fact, I even own one that has the code erased. Perhaps the original owner didn't even instigate this writing and found it annoying on his books? The coding doesn't appear to be any sort of distribution labeling, but who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

I briefly talked to Steve about the codes at some Chicago Con and he indicated that no one had ever "broken" what they meant or where they had come from. Now that so many of them have been locked up in slabs, the world may never know .... frown.gif

Alan

I personally don't think I could own a book with the writting all over Jokers face. That's really distracting and takes away from a classic cover. I wouldn't neccisarily shoot the book down if it was on the yellow of Batman in the title...but there are a number of nice copies of this particular book floating around out there.

Timely;

Since you seem to be sort of an expert of coding and markings, would you know anything about Golden Age books marked with a capital S in greased pencil. I have seen quite a few early GA books with this marking and they all generally appear to be in high grade condition.

I have a few of the very early Fox books with this marking and they all appear to be in pedigree equivalent condition except for the appearance of the black S codingmark. Appeciate any information which you may have on this.

Agreed. When you've seen enough of them you start to get a definite feel for some sort of logical pattern that no child -- no matter how obsessive-compulsive -- would have come up with. In fact, I even own one that has the code erased. Perhaps the original owner didn't even instigate this writing and found it annoying on his books? The coding doesn't appear to be any sort of distribution labeling, but who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

I briefly talked to Steve about the codes at some Chicago Con and he indicated that no one had ever "broken" what they meant or where they had come from. Now that so many of them have been locked up in slabs, the world may never know .... frown.gif Alan

Actually, the writing is coded information re: the location of the REST of the collection - the "good stuff," as the coder plainly states in the code... I'll be happy to decode the rest of the message...for a modest fee...