• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- advice on getting a vintage car vs. new

50 posts in this topic

First thing I think of off the top of my head is:

2008_dodge_challenger_srt8_7_zoomed.jpg

Love that car. :cloud9:

Saw one yesterday, and photos do NOT do that car justice. It is without a doubt the best looking car chrysler has put out in 30 plus years.

With that said of the first 2 choices I would say neither. I dont like small cars. If it cant survive a nasty car accident, I wont own it.

First thing I think of off the top of my head is:

2008_dodge_challenger_srt8_7_zoomed.jpg

Love that car. :cloud9:

Saw one yesterday, and photos do NOT do that car justice. It is without a doubt the best looking car chrysler has put out in 30 plus years.

With that said of the first 2 choices I would say neither. I dont like small cars. If it cant survive a nasty car accident, I wont own it.

yup! This car is the ^^

One of the reasons it looks so good is that the designers did a great job using styling cues from the original car. It looks like a '70-'74 Challenger but updated for modern times. A local shop has one available for rent and they do look even better in person. If I had the dough I’d buy one. Before Chrysler implodes.

I saw one yesterday all blacked out, with biig chrome wheels and low profile tires. It looked so sweet I wanted to steal it.. They did a great job of keeping the originals bodylines and updating it for a modern car. The tail lights even remind me of the early 70's mopars. If I had the coin I would have one in my drive way. And trying to get a paxton supercharger and new exhaust installed asap.

I echo what Roy and others have said; if you don't know how to fix cars, stay away from buying "vintage" unless you're willing to put a lot of time and money into it. It ends up being more frustrating than it's worth. People who are good with cars tend to acquire the know-how through years of tinkering, because they have a genuine interest. Not to say that it's too late for you to learn, but if you "know nothing", chances are you're going to end up frustrated with a 30 year old vehicle. It's going to give you CONSTANT problems, and that's no fun unless you enjoy the work.

I'd recommend taking one rallying sideways through the trees at 200 mph to make sure you like it first.

:cloud9:

Holy !

That is one of THE MOST EXCITING car videos I have ever seen!

4 WD, turbocharged flat 4....that was out of control!

Thanks for posting that!

R.

I love cars and I actually took a year during my studies and I am a licensed tech (well, still apprentice second semester).

I only drive VWs, and I have a modified Passat wagon and I just picked up an 87 Scirocco 16V that was too good a deal to pass up:

P1030810.jpg

It's an old car, and will always need something done on it (my fingers are already more dirty than they have been in a few years :cloud9:

That said, you really might want to look at the New Beetle again, but make sure it has the 1.8 litre turbo motor. Quite reliable and very fun to drive (for a Beetle :baiting:). VERY powerful and GREAT on gas.

I have owned 5 original MK 1 sciroccos (with the single wiper, round headlamps) and 1 MK 2 Scirocco like yours and I loved them all. My MK 1 Sciroccos were Turbocharged with a Callaway Turbo kit and they were unbelievably fun to drive!

They don't build them like that anymore!

R.

I have owned 5 original MK 1 sciroccos (with the single wiper, round headlamps) and 1 MK 2 Scirocco like yours and I loved them all. My MK 1 Sciroccos were Turbocharged with a Callaway Turbo kit and they were unbelievably fun to drive!

R.

For the love of God I wish they would stop building them :wishluck:

R.

For the love of God I wish they would stop building them :wishluck:

I'm looking for a mint one that has not seen snow. 1981 Scirocco S....

:cloud9: