• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

See Ebay Item # 2205188514

As an Ebay Silver Power Seller, I have liquidated as of late several Vintage 1000 books comic collections as you all may recall.

However, this current offering by a seller with NO feedback is hysterical.

It is a meager attempt to ride on my coat-tails. I suspect the high bidder will get 4 longboxes with no more than 2 dozen SA books at most and the rest will be a smattering of Bronze and Modern Age Toilet Paper.

I cannot comprehend how people can bid thousands of dollars on this farce of an auction.

The seller states verbatim: "MY FATHER HAS PASSED AWAY AND NOW I HAVE TO SELL HIS COLLECTION TO PAY BILLS THIS WAS HIS PRIDE AND JOY HE SPENT MANY YEARS COLLECTING COMICS HE REALLY ENJOYED SUPER HEROES I WISH THAT I WOULD HAVE PAYED MORE ATTENTION BUT HIND SIGHT IS 20/20 I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMICS MY DAD LOVED COMICS AND IF IT WAS NOT FOR THE BILLS I WOULD KEEP THEM FOR MY CHILDREN BUT MY LOSS IS GOING TO BE SOMEONES GAIN I TRIED TO PULL A RANDOM SELECTION OF BOOKS FROM HERE AND THERE THEY ARE FROM WHAT LITTLE I KNOW STARTING IN I THINK THE 40s OR AT LEAST THE 50s TO THE PRESENT OR AT LEAST UNTIL HE WAS UNABLE TO COLLECT ANY MORE MY DAD BOUGHT THE BOOKS READ THEM A TIME OR TWO AND PUT THEM AWAY THE BOOKS ARE IN PLASTIC BAGS WITH A WHITE CARDBOARD INSIDE THESE ARE REALLY HARD FOR ME TO SELL I KNOW THAT WHOEVER WINS THIS AUCTION WILL BE VERY PLEASED IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE E-MAIL ME AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS THANK YOU FOR TAKEING THE TIME TO LOOK AT MY AUCTION AND I HOPE THAT THESE COMICS MAKE IT TO THE HANDS OF A TRUE COLLECTOR LIKE MY FATHER WAS GOOD LUCK BIDDING"

I do not see even ONE Atom/Golden Age book in the pix.

Give me a break!!

And there isn't a chance that this could be genuine?

If I saw a die-cast vintage toy car, I would no more state its year of origin that I could sprout wings and fly to the moon. She/he may have got the start date of the collection wrong, but there certainly seems to be plenty of 60s stuff in the photos.

Sure, there are scam artists. And then there are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. And then, sometimes, just sometimes, there are folk who aren't quite as clued up as the rest of us.

Actually, either this is very, very clever..or it's genuine.

Look at the books pulled out of the boxes. They have been in some alphabetical order (although TOS have been filed with the Iron Man) and from where the books are pulled, I'd figure that there were, for example, a load of 60s Brave And The Bold.

I don't really see anything wrong with this auction. It started at $1 with no reserve, it isn't private, and the seller dosen't seem to have any hyperbole in their description to try to boost the final price, or any expectation as to what the final price will be. Sure, they have 0 feedback, but that is in keeping with what could very well be a legit story. This person's father dies, and they may have an idea that the comics might be worth something, so they sign on to Ebay to move the collection. Very plausible. The only thing *wrong* with the auction is that it is lacking in detail. They should have at least made an effort to list the books and give a description of the general condiion in broad terms. Other than that, I don't see what the problem is.

This is directly in line with "I found my deceased fathers copy of Action 1 in the attic and I do not really know what it is worth but I need to pay the bills. No Reserve and I will start bidding at only $1.00................

I'm not saying you, or anyone else should bid on it. I would never bid on anything with such a vague description. But there is a difference between saying the auction sucks, and saying it's a scam.

This is directly in line with "I found my deceased fathers copy of Action 1 in the attic and I do not really know what it is worth but I need to pay the bills. No Reserve and I will start bidding at only $1.00................

How is it in line with a B.S Action 1 auction? In those, the seller clearly knows the value of an Action 1, which he dosen't own(or owns the reprint) and is using it to try to get a piece of that value. This person makes no claims to any specific issues, or expectation of final bid price. It just looks like a few boxes of comics, and that's how this person is selling and representing them. Again, I'm not saying it is something you should bid on, but I can't see the big, elaborate scam in this.

So I guess Fathers never die, and leave old stuff behind, along with unpaid bills? A little cynical are we?

This is directly in line with "I found my deceased fathers copy of Action 1 in the attic and I do not really know what it is worth but I need to pay the bills.

i disagree with this.

nowhere in the description is there any mention of a specific high-value book.

ASSUMING that the smattering of SA books that are on display are REPRESENTATIVE of the lot - then it's definitely SOMEONE'S legitimate collection.

whether or not they are HG, or have been cherry-picked, or whatever, i do not even attempt to speculate. but there are comics there, and the comics include SA comics, and as long as the buyer receives SOMETHING - yes it's a gamble - but to SOME PEOPLE, it's a gamble perhaps worth taking.

Fair enough. This auction is probably legitimate in all regards. It would be interesting to get feedback from the high bidder upon receipt of the books!

i don't think anyone in this thread has even remotely SUGGESTED that this auction was legitimate in ALL regards.

we are responding to YOUR ACCUSATION that it is ILLEGITIMATE in ALL REGARDS.

I'm guessing but there may be some sarcasm there. I'd say that most likely there's a bit of wishful thinking involved. But it's not difficult to determine whether this newbie seller is legit or unaware of the importance of disclosing everything in an ebay auction, or otherwise - email her for a list. If there are no other '60s or earlier books in the auction other than those visible in the scan, then you'd probably have some answers, but not all of them re the underlying intent (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here). Even with seemingly innocent auctions, caveat emptor.

This auction makes me extremely suspicious, as that "have a few SA books peeking out of the boxes" is a popular one with scammers.

Any of the real "I have comics and don't know what to do with them" auctions I've seen, the seller goes out of their way to show a ton of books, just in case one is valuable and catches a buyer's eye.

This "tease with a few issues" is the scammers way, as they want you to imagine all the key issues that AREN'T being shown, but have no recourse when your boxes of Valiants arrive.

Huh. I am shocked that the bidding is already over $2K. There is maybe $200 worth of comics actually shown in the photo, assuming normal vgs and fines. What kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person would bid $2K on this? confused.gif

yeah, I have to agree. I foresee four boxes full of [!@#%^&^] that wouldn't be worth $500, let alone $2000 and counting.

There's no proof of that of course, but anyone bidding on this is cruisin' for a bruisin'.

This is also a lne that's in each and every scam auction:

"THEY ARE FROM WHAT LITTLE I KNOW STARTING IN I THINK THE 40s OR AT LEAST THE 50s TO THE PRESENT"

Yeah, one comic from the 40's, a few from the 50's, some G/VG Silver and Bronze, and 4 boxes of 1991-93 overstock. 27_laughing.gif

Q.E.D. Case closed. If anyone doubts me, feel free to bid on the auction and let me know what wonderful gems you find upon receipt of the books. I will bet the farm that the value older books do not exceed $300 USD in value