• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

thats a great letter designed to extract a response..but "explicitly" scared me off a litttle. Sounded too lawyerly...

After th equick feedback about the condition of the books Im leaning scam on this. But Im anxiously awaiting the reply to your letter FF.

This is basically the theory I had in mind, and when I mentioned it to a friend ( a non- collector) he just sighed and said that I spend far too much time on ebay and that I should get out more. However, conspiracy theories aside, anyone who's been on ebay long enough will immediately hear their BS detector go off when they see this auction, let alone the speed in which the transaction was completed . It'll be interesting to hear the response to F.F.'s email, which I thought was just about spot on (not too passive aggressive). Assuming there is a response.

Whenever I posit things like this to my wife she worries that I have to many criminal thoughts, but personally I think I'd make a good rip-off artist.

Many people can "get into" the mind of a criminal, when you should worry is when your conscience allows you to go beyond all the "what if"'s and actually perpetrate the misdeeds frown.gif

I would never stoop to such lows. I have no need to, not when I have a great run of ultra high-grade Marvels that I recently bought in a job lot and will be listing shortly on e-bay. I'm particularly lucky to have multiples of most of them and will undoubtedly be contacting the underbidders to let them know of their good fortune.

Sorry..I never meant to suggest that you personally would stoop to such lows...just commenting on the statement about wife worrying about you being criminally minded. I sit around and think on matters as well, but if I had to put myself in the "perp's shoes" hypothetically speaking of course, I don't know if I would have what it takes to go through with the actual deed...

Sorry..I never meant to suggest that you personally would stoop to such lows...just commenting on the statement about wife worrying about you being criminally minded. I sit around and think on matters as well, but if I had to put myself in the "perp's shoes" hypothetically speaking of course, I don't know if I would have what it takes to go through with the actual deed...

Don't worry, I didn't take it personally. I;m sure I have good ideas, but I'm not minded to rip people off or go to jail. That's why the reserves on my high grade Marvel's will be so low.

I think gpcove is exercising that dry British wit we've all heard so much about... Am I right, gp?

As for this auction, I like the theory that the 'buyer' will shortly post some number of auctions purportedly from this collection, and will make $ on that end, rather than the initial auction. Heck, the scammers might have had their own "reserve" in mind when they posted the first auction: "If we don't get some sucker to bid more than $2,000, then YOU buy the lot with your account, and we'll piecemeal the (fictitious) books in a group of auctions that will net us even more."

Whenever I posit things like this to my wife she worries that I have to many criminal thoughts, but personally I think I'd make a good rip-off artist.

Many people can "get into" the mind of a criminal, when you should worry is when your conscience allows you to go beyond all the "what if"'s and actually perpetrate the misdeeds frown.gif

I would never stoop to such lows. I have no need to, not when I have a great run of ultra high-grade Marvels that I recently bought in a job lot and will be listing shortly on e-bay. I'm particularly lucky to have multiples of most of them and will undoubtedly be contacting the underbidders to let them know of their good fortune.

Be sure to post here which books you have multiples of,so I can be an underbidder. Thanks in advance. thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm...what kind of ebay fees did they have to pay for this ruse!?!?

getting out the calculator...

Closing Value Over $1,000:

5.25% of the initial $25 ($1.31),

plus 2.75% of the initial $25 - $1000 ($26.81),

plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1000.01 - closing value)

according to my calculations, we get...

(1.31)+ (26.81) + (15 300 - 1000.01)x(0.015)

= $242.62 in FVFs, not including the listing fees ( ~ 0.30?)

the buyer has already left positive feedback (although suspiciously quickly):

Praise : comics are in great condition and the experience with seller was excellent...

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=daddyslittlegirl57

in my books, this auction was no doubt a scam. awful lot of money to set up a +1 in feedback to fuel future (scam?) auctions.

NONETHELESS! - we purportedly have a SATISFIED BUYER - a situation that eccomic absolutely declared throughout this thread, was not going to happen.

respectively quoting mr. eccomic in his various musings...

This is directly in line with "I found my deceased fathers copy of Action 1 in the attic and I do not really know what it is worth but I need to pay the bills.

It would be interesting to get feedback from the high bidder upon receipt of the books!

Q.E.D. Case closed. If anyone doubts me, feel free to bid on the auction and let me know what wonderful gems you find upon receipt of the books.

Of course everyone calls me cynical due to my skepticism. This auction stunk from day one.

I smelled a rat from the first moment it was posted and this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I sell many Vintage Collections on Ebay.

GEE. Auction ends at only $15, 300. I am sure the high bidder will be very pleased with his/her purchase. I would love to get feedback from them on this forum!!

The WHOLE auction was silly from inception. Just call me either cynical or VERY, VERY intuitive.

893blahblah.gif

893blahblah.gif

though we can discuss at length the unlikeliness of the validity of this auction - eccomic has been unable to provide ANY FACTUAL PROOF to back his assertions.

from his own words, eccomic apparently concedes he is cynical. (re: Just call me either cynical...)

i would like to add that he is arrogant.

boo.gif

in my books, this auction was no doubt a scam. awful lot of money to set up a +1 in feedback to fuel future (scam?) auctions.

EBay will never see a cent of this money, as the buyer will mysteriously "return" the goods for a refund, and the seller will get a credit.

what's this? how does this work?

Well, if you really have a buyer who sends the item back for a refund, the seller can get the FVF's refunded as well. It's an option in the FVF refund section, and once activated, it sends a confirmation email to the buyer to make sure sellers aren't just scamming to get their FVF's credited.

In this case, assuming it is a rook and the buyer and seller are one and the same, it's quite easy to do.

Whats more interesting about this is the buyer and seller both are from California, the buyer has alot of recent feedback BUT nothing over $150.00. So it makes perfect sense that they were ready to spend $15k on books....I also own the land that the Empire state building is on and....no really, no fooling, I could put it up for sale and make a gazillion dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acclaim.gif

Whats more interesting about this is the buyer and seller both are from California

No follow-up response from the buyer yet, but he says he did go to the seller's house...here's the initial response:

hello... i drove to modesto to pick them up and they are really great! i am going through them now. some really big money items were in there. i am very pleased. i will keep most of them but i am to list about 300 or so. they bury the [!@#%^&^] that is on ebay now as far as quality. keep in touch...

the buyer of the lot can basically lie about what he rec'd in those boxes, so i think the point is moot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Which is why I'm asking follow-ups. What would you ask?

It would have to be a shill for the seller for him to be lying, because he wouldn't have bought them in person otherwise.