• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

I reckon the buyer in question may be a little secretive if it turns out that he's been stiffed. No harm in trying though - although I now feel that the whole thing is either a genuinely surreal example of the madness you sometimes see on ebay, or a sham that spiralled out of control. gossip.gif

i don't think anyone at the start of this thread could have imagined that the final bid price on this lot would have reached this amount...

i thought that for some people, maybe bidding on this auction was worth the gamble - but i was thinking like two or three hundred bucks...

certainly not anything over 1000 (??)

certainly not anything over 10 000 (!!!)

man - that is speculation gone to the EXTREME! makepoint.gif

Positive feedback already left by the seller! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe he had a very large Paypal balance , and just shot over the 15k.

Nope...MO and personal cheques only! But...they are both in California so theoretically possible! smirk.gif

HAHA! 27_laughing.gif

Why I said I might need to rethink my buyer only mentality.

I only have 4 long boxes total in my collection and as mentioned above, I would consider lucky to bring $200-$300. Most of it is modern junk I would be lucky to get a quarter each for. However, I have many of the Silver Age stuff that seller has and could photograph them the same way. They are in (my opinion) poor condition, but photographed like that they look like gems.

OK...I'm lying again. I know I wouldn’t do that. The number one reason I don’t try to sell stuff is because I suck at selling. I usually cheat myself in fear of cheating someone else.

I think it's kind of interesting to note that the auction ended at 8:00:00 PST and the four long boxes were in the hands of the buyer and he was leaving feedback by 22:26:40 PST the same day, or by my calculations, 14 hours, 22 minutes later. Man! That was one quick delivery/pickup/feedback! Whatever! Alone, the time frame wouldn't be too suspicious, but with all the elements of this auction added together, the case for it being less than above board is only increased.

What If...?

Ignoring premature fedback, the buyer never actually paid and the deal fell through. The 'buyer' then proceeds to list a bunch of sham auctions with all kinds of mid-grade rarities and everyone here looks at the auctions and thinks "Darn, he must have got them from dad's attic after all". You then all bid and get screwed.

Maybe the whole deal is just a scam in itself (buyer=seller) to act as a cover for a future scam.

Whenever I posit things like this to my wife she worries that I have to many criminal thoughts, but personally I think I'd make a good rip-off artist.

I assume someone will follow up with the buyer when the dust settles and let us know what happened?

I'll let you know if I get a response...

To member: eventinek

From member: fantastic-four

--------------------

I noticed that you won what looked to possibly be a great collection of comics from "daddyslittlegirl57" yesterday, and that the same day it ended, you both exchanged feedback. Were you able to find any nice books other than the ones explicitly shown in the auction? And how did you get the collection so fast?

It's always interesting to hear how these "mystery" comic lots on E-Bay turn out for buyers, so I hope to hear from you soon. smile.gif

Whenever I posit things like this to my wife she worries that I have to many criminal thoughts, but personally I think I'd make a good rip-off artist.

Many people can "get into" the mind of a criminal, when you should worry is when your conscience allows you to go beyond all the "what if"'s and actually perpetrate the misdeeds frown.gif