• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales good investment or not?

Strange Tales  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Strange Tales

8 posts in this topic

I will buy one day 102-112, 117 and 119 to finish my run from 101up. Not interested in any earlier issues. As far as condition, anything in a fine to a Very Fine would be ok. But, not to invest in. Enjoying the early Dr. Strange stories. Kinda neat to see how it all started.

How good of an investment are they? I don't know, but I am putting together a run of 9.2 to 9.6 copies myself, and I think they are a bargain at current (guide) prices. Nice Ditko issues are hard to find though, especially in the range of 115 - 129, and census numbers are low for the whole run.

"investment" is a tricky word when used about todays comics market. Depends on the price you pay for what condition. IMO, very very few comics are good investments at the 9.4 - 9.8 prices they sell for. But to answer the question, IMO all HG SIlver ,mainstreem titles are good investments at guide to double guide, as they always have been. If you overpay, they wont be very profitable for a long long time..

having said all that, if you mean Should you buy Strange Tales or one of the other SA Marvel titles? Then No, not really, its one of the lesser Marvel books from the Silver Age. Youd do better with Spidey, Xmen and FF.

But if you do, stick to the 101, 107, 110, 114, 115, and 135. You could even shorten the list to 107, 110 and 115 (maybe 114 if the Captain America appearance takes off)

107 = key battle cover

110 = Dr Strange

115 = Dr Strange origin

101 is kinda a minor early key. 135 is a secondary origin. Buyig the whole run is nice, but not a fast-track moneymaker.

If Silver Age collecting follows Golden Ages pattern,you will see a shift from collecting runs to collecting artists and classic covers. Strange Tales has an abundance of these so value should increase. That said, as a strict investment I'd go with other titles. I'd say you can't go wrong buying ST but you'd be better elsewhere.

Don't go by the census figures, this is a low demand,low prority series.