• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Can I Expect?

12 posts in this topic

CGC are currently grading my first batch of submissions. In there is a Batman #492 Platinum Edition which at first look was around a 9.4/9.6, a really nice book with white pages and virtually razor sharp corners with a completely flat spine.

However, after filling the submissions form in I thought I'd take a flick through the book before packing it away, and I noticed a small tear on the first page out towards the edge of the page. It was semicircular in shape and probably ran at 1/3", running into one of the story panels by about 1/4". I never noticed this when I bought it but on closer inspection it looked like it was done when the book was printed (not sure if that's actually possible) as it was a very neat tear and had folded over at the outer points of the tear, with the fold being completely flat.

All in all the tear and fold looked very 'neat' for want of a better word. What i was wondering is how CGC will grade this book? Will it be a Qualified score, a diminished Universal or if it is a printing defect, will it affect the grade at all?

Thanks in advance for your input people (thumbs u

Gav.

Printing defects for the most part do not affect the grade but in higher grades you CAN run into defect that keep the book from grading higher.

example: The size of miswrap (back cover showing in the front or front cover showing on the back at the spine) can determine whether the book is a 9.9, 9.8, 9.6 or even a 9.4

The same goes for a miscut (book centering top to bottom).

You can also have a book missing a staple or bindery tears or printing defects like colors missing or smudged etc. These are all defects that will keep a book out of grades higher than 9.6/9.8

For the most part people will not experience this because of how tough it is to find a book and have it grade 9.8 or higher.

With CGC interior defects weigh less heavily on the grade than a cover defect so minor interior tears should not be a problem.

R.

Well I've been informed by a friend who is a registered CGC submitter that my books have been graded. He wouldn't tell me the grades as he says it will spoil the surprise as all in all it is a nice batch.

However he did tell me that one had only been graded at 8.5, so I'm wondering if this is the book that earned that grade. If it is I don't mind really, I just wish I'd checked the book before filling in the submission form.

No worries, I can probably get one of the British insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who buy all the overpriced bollocks on Ebay UK to part with a couple of hundred dollars for it.

:jokealert:

I was wrong all along! I've managed to get it out of my buddy that it was a Batman #619 that came in at 8.5, not the #492 Platinum. He reckons the #492 will be a pleasant surprise, so obviously the tear must have been a printing defect.

As for the #619, I had two copies. One of which was set for a £1 Ebay sale and the other for grading. In my rush to pack my box in time to get to the post office I threw the wrong one in. :frustrated:

Oh well, mess happens!

I'll post photo's when they arrive, hopefully early the week after next!

Will do Pat (thumbs u

I've been told by my mate that once they're marked as shipped it takes around four days for them to arrive so it will probably be early next week.

And yeah, I put the wrong #619 in. Didn't bother selling the other one on Ebay in the end either.

You're right there Pat it will. I want it for the Hush set, so even though it was a stupid mistake to make I'm pretty pissed at myself for doing it. Taking into account that for 12 books to be graded from England, it costs nearly $200 in shipping alone before the grading fees, it worked out to nearly $35 per book so it was quite a costly mistake to make.

My collection was all over the place at the time as I hadn't long started replacing it, and I'd bought boatloads of sets off Ebay resulting in me having duplicates of a lot of issues. I was in the middle of sorting them while I was bagging and boarding, but was in a rush to get my first lot of books off to CGC.

I could never afford CGC books when I first collected and just wanted that feeling of 'these are my graded books', as opposed to I bought these slabs. If you know what I mean. Still, mistakes are there to learn from and next time I will be much more attentive. Plus my collection is in order now.

Here's a list of what I sent in:

Batman #492 Platinum

Batman #515 Embossed Edition

Batman #608 2nd Print

Batman #619 Heroes Gatefold (wrong copy!)

Batman #655 1:10 variant

Batman #670 1:25 variant

Batman #676 1:25 variant

Batman #677 1:25 variant

Batman #678 1:25 variant

Batman #679 1:25 variant

Batman #680 1:25 variant

Thicker Than Blood #1 Red Foil San Diego Comic Con Edition.

And I'm going way off topic so I suppose I really shouldn't be posting this in here!