• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone please tell me how it benefits a grader to overgrade a book?

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me how it benefits a grader to overgrade a book? It does not make good business sense to overgrade because all you will do is dissappoint the customer and then they will not come back to you. It seems to me that it would make sense to undergrade a shade to the customer will not have unrealistic expectations and if the books come back much better than expected all the better. How does it make sense to overgrade and then send to CGC the truth will come out? That is why I just do not buy into all this expert's overgrading stuff it just does not make good business sense.

The seller wants the big bucks for the book. Obviously, they don't care about the return customer. Very short sighted and stupid IMHO. I like the Wal-Mart way of thinking. Sell product A @ $5. Sell 4 million of them. Rather than sell 2.5 million of product A @ $7 per item. Return business is always a good thing. Some people/companies want all the cash they can get instantly. Rather than wait and have that money coming in later on.

Under grading a book can be a potential loss of thousands of dollars to a dealer on the big ticket books. That isn't good for the dealer or the customer really. The customer may save that chunk of cash right then. But that honest dealer may be out of business for leaving money on the table. Leaving the buyer short of a good, honest dealer.

That's why I always try to be as good a grader as I can be. The dealer is getting what the book is worth. The seller will get the book in the condition they want. Both parties are happy. The seller has a return customer, most likely. The buyer has that book in the grade he wanted. Mistakes will be made of course. But keeping the mistakes to a minimum helps everybody out...

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me how it benefits a grader to overgrade a book? It does not make good business sense to overgrade because all you will do is dissappoint the customer and then they will not come back to you. It seems to me that it would make sense to undergrade a shade to the customer will not have unrealistic expectations and if the books come back much better than expected all the better. How does it make sense to overgrade and then send to CGC the truth will come out? That is why I just do not buy into all this expert's overgrading stuff it just does not make good business sense.

You're obviously making the same mistake/hypothesis you made at the other thread you started and take it for granted that your "expert" can actually grade - or at least grade according to CGC's standards.

So, who's the expert? :popcorn:

Hi all,

You're obviously making the same mistake/hypothesis you made at the other thread you started and take it for granted that your "expert" can actually grade - or at least grade according to CGC's standards.

So, who's the expert? :popcorn:

I wanna be the expert !!!!!! Overgraders make big money, and then lose customers when they submit to CGC..

Hi all,

You're making some assumptions here that may not be true.

First, most people can't grade all that well. So, they may agree with the grade on an overgraded book. Or they may figure that the dealer knows more than they do and therefore believe that the grade is correct.

Second, a lot of dealers can't grade all that well. So, they may well not realize that they're overgrading a book when they sell it. No malfeasance on their part, just ignorance.

Third, most people don't send their books to CGC. So, they may never realize CGC disagrees with the dealer's grade.

I agree however, that overgrading doesn't make good business sense if you're trying to sustain a long term business relationship with your customers (thumbs u

I will not be sending anymore: My collection stops here: Watchmen 8 out of 12

#1... 9.4 # 4....9.4...#9...9.6...#8...9.6

The only reason I started to collect all 12 of the Watchmen is because I thought I had a good shot at #1 and #8 at 9.8. I thought even in the worst case I would get them at 9.6 which is not too bad. But, I put time and money into an overgrader and now I am paying the price. 1, 4, 8, 9, and 10 is the collection. Out of the toughest 5 I have only 1. If I had thought there was any chance of a 9.4 on any of these books I never would have started the collection. These books have been out of my hands for over 2 months and I am working to get the other ones. Then they come back much lower than expected. It is a horrible experience for me.

The only reason I started to collect all 12 of the Watchmen is because I thought I had a good shot at #1 and #8 at 9.8. I thought even in the worst case I would get them at 9.6 which is not too bad. But, I put time and money into an overgrader and now I am paying the price. 1, 4, 8, 9, and 10 is the collection. Out of the toughest 5 I have only 1. If I had thought there was any chance of a 9.4 on any of these books I never would have started the collection. These books have been out of my hands for over 2 months and I am working to get the other ones. Then they come back much lower than expected. It is a horrible experience for me.

That is your decision. But you cant expect everything to work out all the time in your favor. People miss things, thats life. But at the same time I like the service that CGC offers, and see no reason to condemn them. They graded the book, they didnt choose it, tell you it was a 9.8 candidate, and then let you down. That was someone else. You are pointing the blame at the wrong person.

That is your decision. But you cant expect everything to work out all the time in your favor. People miss things, thats life. But at the same time I like the service that CGC offers, and see no reason to condemn them. They graded the book, they didnt choose it, tell you it was a 9.8 candidate, and then let you down. That was someone else. You are pointing the blame at the wrong person.

And that is where I assume this is all heading, outing Matt, Brent, Josh or whoever it is that has a banner add here he alluded to and sold or told him the books had a shot at 9.8.

If it is that important, best way to make sure you get a CGC 9.8 is to pony up and buy one in a slab already, otherwise just enjoy what you have and dont put so much emphasis on the grade in the ulc.

Honestly, is this thread(s) for real?

And that is where I assume this is all heading, outing Matt, Brent, Josh or whoever it is that has a banner add here that sold or told him the books had a shot at 9.8.

If it is that important, best way to make sure you get a CGC 9.8 is to pony up and buy one in a slab already, otherwise just enjoy what you have and dont put so much emphasis on the grade in the ulc.

the thread is real. And MA 9.8's are fairly easy to come by.

And that is where I assume this is all heading, outing Matt, Brent, Josh or whoever it is that has a banner add here that sold or told him the books had a shot at 9.8.

the thread is real. And MA 9.8's are fairly easy to come by.

Oh snap, no need to rub salt in his wound!

:roflmao:

Seriously man. I told the guy what to look for. You gotta learn to garde yourself to survive. And going for for post 1980 9.8's? C'mon. I could see if he were trying for a more elusive 9.8, like a DD131 they are tough. But for a watchman 9.8? Those books are overflowing on ebay. And I assume those books were all raw once upon a time.

When I buy raw, I look for guys who only gage up to OSPG standards (9.2), and have large scans. That is one way to find those super sweet books. Or you can buy from the boards and have some really good luck.

I have not outed anyone, nor do I have any intention to. But, I have had several people ask me who it was, which I have not said. Look, I know you do not know me and I know you feel that everyone should be as understanding as you. But, I just believe in accountablitity... I do not believe in bailouts and if you do a job I hold you to it. What is so wrong with that? I pay for these services they are not free. If I was in the graders position I would want to know what happened as well not just accepted the fate tempered down on you by the all knowing CGC gods. Every slabbed book came from somewhere, so my books are just as good as anyone elses. I do not need to buy anything from Ebay or anywhere else if I have a book good enough to merit a high grade. I knew I was entering a pro- CGC board that is why I came here. In a short while I will be gone and life in the pretend CGC world will continue and one day when someone inside the company lets something slip. Everyone of the happy go luck Candyland CGC hardliners will wonder if there books are really the grade they received. I wanted to be a part of it I thought it was such a neat thing to have books slabbed and protected and graded. I really got into it and I wanted to leave nice slabbed protected books in a collection. I will still leave the collection but I doubt they will be slabbed not by CGC. I know many people who work for CGC are on this board I know they read this board. Why not email me, let me fax you the paperwork. Somebody talk to me on here... tell me how wrong I am for questioning the great Almighty CGC. But, it will never come... i read this board all the time but I never signed in until yesterday. So, just keep pounding away with you CGC certifications without question and anyone who does question is bitter. CGC does not make a books special it is really a middle man between buyer and seller. Please CGC email me let me give you some tips on how to improve. Why not let me give you some feedback and maybe some good will come of all this.

Umm so we should trust one guy over CGC? Pretty ridiculous. Also I may add we are not hardliners, there are multiple threads where we have had disputes over CGC's grading. So you are again flawed. If they screw up, so be it. But lets not just jump around saying I subbed 10 books, and never will again. What is the purpose. Maybe you should look at the fact there are many people very happy and sometimes very surprised to see the CGC grades. But I understand, one bad experience and its all carp.

Kinda smells like BS. Learn to grade, find some better books and submit them.

I have not outed anyone, nor do I have any intention to. But, I have had several people ask me who it was, which I have not said. Look, I know you do not know me and I know you feel that everyone should be as understanding as you. But, I just believe in accountablitity... I do not believe in bailouts and if you do a job I hold you to it. What is so wrong with that? I pay for these services they are not free. If I was in the graders position I would want to know what happened as well not just accepted the fate tempered down on you by the all knowing CGC gods. Every slabbed book came from somewhere, so my books are just as good as anyone elses. I do not need to buy anything from Ebay or anywhere else if I have a book good enough to merit a high grade. I knew I was entering a pro- CGC board that is why I came here. In a short while I will be gone and life in the pretend CGC world will continue and one day when someone inside the company lets something slip. Everyone of the happy go luck Candyland CGC hardliners will wonder if there books are really the grade they received. I wanted to be a part of it I thought it was such a neat thing to have books slabbed and protected and graded. I really got into it and I wanted to leave nice slabbed protected books in a collection. I will still leave the collection but I doubt they will be slabbed not by CGC. I know many people who work for CGC are on this board I know they read this board. Why not email me, let me fax you the paperwork. Somebody talk to me on here... tell me how wrong I am for questioning the great Almighty CGC. But, it will never come... i read this board all the time but I never signed in until yesterday. So, just keep pounding away with you CGC certifications without question and anyone who does question is bitter. CGC does not make a books special it is really a middle man between buyer and seller. Please CGC email me let me give you some tips on how to improve. Why not let me give you some feedback and maybe some good will come of all this.

Wow, well for starters I only own around 9 CGC books, and most of those were from the Collector Society Coupons so my interests in CGC are not exactly what I would consider vested. And secondly your post just seemed to be trying to hold a company or persons accountible for something that has intangibles.

It sounds like you are going through the same learning curve all of us did regarding subbing books to CGC. Ya win some, ya lose some. Now it's totally up to you if you want to continue to chase perfection, or live with what you have.

I admit I only skimmed your other thread because I am short on time so I will just remove myself from the discussion.

Good luck.

CGC is a well respected company your 'friend grader' is not. It's as simple as that. You are pointing the finger at the wrong person. If you want to get a hold of someone at CGC just go to their website, however, I assure you they'll tell you the same thing that we have been. Save your energy on offering improvements if you get a hold of them, they have no reason to listen. Good Luck

I think you need to understand that all people's views differ. When you looked at the books, did you look what CGC look for? You've already admitted elsewhere that you more than likely didn't.

CGC aren't Gods as you've suggested, and it's impossible to hold them accountable. And it is them you're pointing the finger at as you keep referencing the 43% work rate thing. In your eyes CGC got 57% of your books graded wrong, in their eyes you got 43% wrong. They work to strict guidelines which you and your grader obviously didn't use. So therefore your views differed. And that's all there is to it. Your distaste for CGC has again come to the fore in this thread which started off aimed at a different point.

Didn't you also say you'd got several people to read the books? It's not granted books leave the press at 9.8, let alone reach dealers and then consumers, so a book that's been handled multiple times will have some wear no matter how indetectible to the average reader.

You were obvioulsy aiming for one thing only here - a set grade for a set value and you set your sights too high. I think you should take the time to cool down and look at this when you have.

Hi all,

The vast majority of dealers over grade to me. It happens all the time. Overgrading = more $. Simple as that. And since most people can't grade very well, the over grading doesn't get detected. Nor do most people slab their books. And yes, many people who get their books are very disappointed with their grades thinking they had gems when they realize they never could grade all that well.

So, just keep pounding away with you CGC certifications without question and anyone who does question is bitter. CGC does not make a books special it is really a middle man between buyer and seller. Please CGC email me let me give you some tips on how to improve. Why not let me give you some feedback and maybe some good will come of all this.
Wait, let me get this straight. You, who have admitted you cannot grade worth a darn, want CGC to ask for your advice?

You, who have sent a lot of your books to some guy who can't grade, are making fun of those who send their books to CGC who have set the standard for grading and are well respected in the industry.

All this because you are all pissy because your book's grades came back low. :insane:

Whoever the shill is, is freakin hillarious. :roflmao:

Keep it going, dude. You can't *buy* this kind of comedy.

Nobody can convince me that this tit is a real person. :roflmao: