• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Con THE VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!

89 posts in this topic

Allow me to make my Con Report in the old Cheers & Jeers fashion...

First of all, Cheers to the fans who were out in droves. I arrived after 2pm today and it was packed. Great support. smile.gif

Jeers the orginizers of Artist's Alley. There really wasn't enough space between isles making it hard to navigate. confused.gif

Cheers to the dealers who were cutting prices on TPS & Graphic novels. Many booths were selling these great reads at 40%-60% off cover price. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jeers to the dealers who wouldn't budge from the over guide prices for VF and below books. What are you thinkin'?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Cheers to our pal Ted from Superworld who's enthusiasm (and good prices) makes him a pleasure to deal with. cool.gif

Cheers to Bill Sienkiewicz who was doing sketches and consignment art for fans. I got a great Delirium sketch for my Endless Nights book. cloud9.gif

Jeers to Gene Colan who was too busy doing consignment art to sign books. His wife said he's only sign 15 minutes before the end of the day... I didn't stick around.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Cheers to CGC who, according to Steve, had the best show ever. They were wheeling out huge boxes of books-to-be-graded when I left the show. thumbsup2.gif

Jeers to ME for not finding my fellow CGC board members while getting around the show. sorry.gif

Jeers to the dealers who still have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them --- "Do you have any Marvel price variants?" sumo.gif

Cheers to Neal Adams who was very accessable to sign & chat. He talked to another fan about the famous Kree-Skrull war plot. I saw him sitting and advising a aspiring artist. Just a nice guy -- for a living legend. laugh.gif

And cheers to Mike the orginizer. He might be a little nuts -- but he loves comics

and it has shown throughout the years he's been putting these shows together. thumbsup2.gif

I got there at noonish and yeah the place was pretty packed. There was even media there, someone from UPN-9 news I believe?

I bought a few things from a number of booths. I've only been back into collecting since spring, so I'm still learning, but I'm starting to take notice of who is reasonably priced and who isn't. There was one booth in particular where I liked the selection, the fact that he lists grade and price (some people don't even have things priced!), I felt the prices were good, and he had everything very neat and orderly. I didn't see a store name or anything up- he was located towards the back of the room, opposite and to the right of the booth agaist the back wall that was selling movie posters. He had 3 tables set up, two wall-racks behind him, and on the floor boxes of comics of less interest for buy-on-get-one. Maybe it's just me, but I did most of my business there.

Just an advice HooDeeDoo:

You should not put a link that way because with a ftp tool everybody can rename or delete your files (in your URL there are your login and password)...

BTW thanks for sharing with us !

Finally watched it..........great Job!

However, when a hot blonde is walking by, and you have a camera, you've got to film her walking away! Your zoom function is there for a reason. grin.gif

More than you ever wanted to know about the NYC National Show:

Ended up going to the show all three days. Great time. I went on Friday and got there around 3:00pm. The con was in its familiar location, although there was only one floor. Last year there was an artists alley on a top floor with the dealers en masse on the first floor. This year everyone squeezed together as there were less dealers and I would say less guests – at least less guests than I remember. Some noticeable missing dealers were Koops Comics and Graham Crackers – both who made appearances the past year.

There were tons of dealers on the floor including: “the 50 cent man” (who had a great show), a few NYC dealers – “Cartoon Comics” on ebay (I love Reno – sells low grade at a great discount to guide), Four Color Comics, Village Comics (I hate them – I bought SO many trades at 50% off! tongue.gif), Forbidden Planet; a few of the national dealers – Harley was there, Bob aka Highgrade comics, Ted from Superworld, Metro (talk about jealousy – I was staring at their 9 Batman #1 copies at the show!) , and our Canadians Paradise Comics. Plus there were two Jersey dealers Joe and Ben who foolkiller knows. There were of course others in the room, but I don’t know them . . .

The artists were sporadic at best – sadly. I spent some good qt with Buzz who showed up and was there all day all three days (one of the only artists in that boat), met Joe Jusko – definitely one of my favorite cover artists ever. He was very cool and signed my Deathlok #1 to me. Some good name recognition artists include – Neal Adams (ever heard of ‘em ), Bill Sienkiwicz (sic), Gene Colan, Rich Buckler Sr. Mike Kaluta, etc.

So Friday was very busy – tons of people during Friday afternoon although after 6:00pm it was a ghost town. I had a nice time with Frank Tieri at the ACTOR booth – he was awesome about taking care of these two little kids every wish about where he was going to sign books. I ended up getting a few GI Joe trades at $7.50 each – wtf? Cover is $25 EACH! And got a Batman Anarky tpb and a World’s Finest #1 Archive.

Friday night was great – went out to dinner with Pete, Kevin (paradise comics and kevthemev) Tyrone (with paradise comics), Paul Litch and Harshen. Dinner was a lot of fun. The talk wasn’t so much on comics as it was of the con circuit; turns out that Peter and Paul have been to 5 conventions in 7 weekend!! Lots of travel. After dinner I was still able to make it home in order to come online and post and get to bed relatively early.

Saturday I met up with Foolkiller and we headed over to the con. Saturday was a good day – there were a surprising amount of people (I thought for sure this show would stink being on a holiday weekend) but had a good time working the ACTOR booth with foolkiller and Frank Tieri (he just wrote the recent Wolverine storylines and is writing Weapon X). Really fun. I picked up more TPBs than I would like to admit (all at ½ off!!) and got a Buzz / Blair / Lago NYC National con sketchbook. I got Buzz to do a Batman on the inside cover for me which was very cool. Saturday during the day I got to meet Rube 11 and his son when he stopped by the booth.

Saturday night was just awesome. So it’s me, Foolkiller, Joe and Ben (the jersey dealers), HooDeeDoo (yes! I finally can recognize him!), Scott (a dealer), Frederick from France (another dealer), Shadroch aka Bill, Peter, Kevin, Tyrone, Harshen, Paul, Blazing, Ted and his buddy and then Michael Bair (JSA, Hawkman and an exciting new project), a guy whose name I don't remember, and Buzz!! We went to Shun Lee Palace and got a nice little private area. For some reason, we didn’t talk about comics at all 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

After a very enjoyable dinner we went out to this place k lounge on 52nd btwn 5th and 6th (me, foolkiller, shadroch, paul l, harshen, pete, Kevin and tyrone) Again it was really cool. I only regret being so sleepy!! But more on that a bit later (takeaway 1a)

Today was a nice little wrap up. I ended up making my biggest purchase of the con – a JLA piece from Buzz:

http://justbuzz.com/images/newart/jla.jpg

I also got to met the premier Zeck collector! He showed me 3 TMNT #1s (never even saw one copy before!) and had literally a binder full of Zeck DC pages! I know what your thinking – didn’t Mike do more Marvel pieces than DC? A LOT more Marvel? Yes, yes he did. Just goes to show you what a Zeck fanatic this guy is!! I also got to meet forumite Rocketeer which was really cool. I was lucky to have the chance to talk to him for a bit.

Throughout the course of the con thanks to Pete (who acquired some LG copies at the show) and Blazing I was able to get a bunch of Batmans that I need for my run! So that was fun. I ended up getting the following throughout the course of the con:

1 – the Buzz JLA piece

2 – Batmans 140, 142, 143, 144, 145, 148, 149 (now the full run goes from 140-621! But oh are some of them ugly tongue.gif )

3 – more TPBs than you could ever imagine (I got about 9 tpbs – you know how heavy those things are?)

4 – two Spider-man movie posters. There was a guy with a stash of some of the S movie posters that still had the twin towers in the reflection of Spider-Mans’ eye. These posters were soon recalled after September 11th and I was surprised to get 2 for $25. I was showing these to Roger (my local comic book shop owner) and he thinks that they might be fake as the bottom where it says “Columbia Pictures” was a bit hazy. Hey, for $25 even if it is a fake as a proud New Yorker I am happy to have that piece of memorabilia.

A couple of con takeaways:

1 – being a comic book dealer is a tough underappreciated life. Through this con working at the ACTOR booth and the past con at Toronto (where I really can’t thank the entire Paradise team enough for making me feel like a part of the family when I was up there) I feel like I have had a “glimpse” into the life. First off here’s an observation: people will always haggle with you over price no matter what. Now, I have been guilty of doing this before, but it’s amazing how people will really just haggle over $8 worth of $1 books. Everybody wants the better deal.

1a – being on your feet and really being unable to get some good food for 10 hours at a time takes a tool on you. Working these shows is physically demanding!

2 – there are some really good people in comics. Although people talk about some comic book dealers and professionals being complete jerks, there are still some really good people in comics. A forum dinner will attest to that. It’s always cool to meet people who are passionate about the hobby and who are cool to be with. This cgc dinner was really cool because you had Shadroch (a former comic book store owner who knows more about books than just about anybody) sharing stories with our Jersey dealers and guys like Mike Bair talking about his upcoming series. It was great! There was really a great assortment at this dinner in particular representing everything from cgc, collectors, creators, and retailers. A great slice of the pie.

2a – to further that point, I was talking to Ben at Metro when this guy with a bag full of books (I’m talking about low grade DDs in the 100-150 range) comes up and asks if Metro was interested in buying. Now Vincent could have told him to go jump off a bridge, but instead he walked the guy over to another dealer and tried to help him sell his books.

3 – my local comic book shop is hands down the best in New York. It turns out that during the con dinner HooDeeDoo said that he shops at my LCS too and even Frederick from FRANCE patronizes the store!! After the con I took Brian there to say hello and met Roger Williams, the owner. If you are ever in the city and want to go to THE comic book store it’s:

TIME MACHINE

207 W 14TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 691-0380

I love that store and have nothing but the best things to say about it – and it turns out that many other people feel the same way!

4 – ACTOR wrap up; NYC gave ACTOR some con space. It was a mixed bag. Frank Tieri was really great and I got to meet Stuart Moore as well – his 1,000 Flowers Column on newsrama is great! So on Friday Frank was signing books only for these two little kids (everyone please note that this is not a typo and that yes there were little kids at the onc; 11 and 9 since Frank asked them how old they were!) they were funny. They had literally 20 books a pop for Frank to sign and asked him to sign in very specific spots. Hey, whatever . . . Saturday came and I had such a cool time talking to Frank that I said I wanted to get a TPB that he could sign for me. So he signed one inscribed to me and another with just his name. We put the books up on the table and the second we did so there were more people at our booth in three minutes than in the whole entire rest of the time Frank was there! Next time I want to be sure to get some of the creators stuff to highlight to bring attention to the booth. Working ACTOR was fun – one of the best things that I got out of it was just helping to spread the awareness. Many, many people had no idea what ACTOR is. Although one really nice moment was when this old creator came up and thanked me for helping him out when he really needed a hand. It was actually quite touching and really helped me see that there are people out there who could use the help.

Does this make any sense at all? I am typing this in word and am noticing that this is about 3 full page of my rants. If I were smarter I would actually proofread this and then post it, but I’m going to let this one fly. Right now I am just decompressing. Saw the Lost Boys and now Darkman is on. A good way to come off a great comic book filled weekend.

Best,

DAM

Was that chuck costas that you met? What zeck pieces did he have?

ding ding ding!! Very nice guy - he had a bunch of LDK pages, a few random

(and I do mean random) Marvel covers; his best stuff is at home and framed on his wall smile.gif

DAM

Dam,

Once again I'm sorry I didn't meet up with you guys for dinner and the after party.

I am very happy that you are a Time Machine supporter, like myself. Roger is by far the nicest guy to work with in NYC.

He's a smart & intellegent person who's extremely loyal to his regular customers, gives good deals and is a pleasure to chat with.

Kudos!! 893applaud-thumb.gif